-   -   Drop start.fedoraproject.org in favour of about:home (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/709863-drop-start-fedoraproject-org-favour-about-home.html)

Elad Alfassa 10-05-2012 02:21 PM

Drop start.fedoraproject.org in favour of about:home

This message is sent to two lists: websites and desktop.

start.fedoraproject.org has many problems [0], mainly:
1) it's ugly
2) it doesn't serve a clear function

3) It's one of the first things people trying Fedora will see, so it'll effect their opinion about Fedora.
I suggest we just drop this page completely and use the default firefox about:home start page instead.

Thoughts?

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Start.fpo_redesign
--
-Elad Alfassa.

Elad Alfassa 10-05-2012 02:30 PM

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Kvin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> This message is sent to two lists: websites and desktop.

> start.fedoraproject.org has many problems [0], mainly:

> 1) it's ugly

You can help
I've tried, but the general agreement of the design team was that the page is useless

> 2) it doesn't serve a clear function

Yes it is, it shows me the awesome Fedora logo many times a day :)
Not really useful. you can put a sticker next to your screen instead, if you want.

> 3) It's one of the first things people trying Fedora will see, so it'll

> effect their opinion about Fedora.

> I suggest we just drop this page completely and use the default firefox

> about:home start page instead.

> Thoughts?

As seen before this page is used, to get people on the Planet.
The planet is not really interesting for end-users, and contributors already have them in their RSS readers.

And about:home will work only on Firefox, where we can actually set

start.fpo to the home of every browsers if needed.

Then we should use upstream default homepage for every browser we ship.

> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Start.fpo_redesign

> --

> -Elad Alfassa.

Kvin Raymond

(shaiton)

GPG-Key: A5BCB3A2

-Elad Alfassa.

Elad Alfassa 10-05-2012 02:40 PM

Drop start.fedoraproject.org in favour of about:home

start.fedoraproject.org has many problems [0], mainly:

1) it's ugly

You can help

I've tried, but the general agreement of the design team was that the page

is useless

I am happy to help with a resign and decluttering of that page if needs be!

Do you have any links to the discussion about the design team agreeing it is useless? Seeing past discussions on this will help in designing a better page.
Yes, link [0] in my original message.

cheers,

ryanlerch

--
-Elad Alfassa.

Elad Alfassa 10-05-2012 02:42 PM

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Kvin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> > 3) It's one of the first things people trying Fedora will see, so it'll

>> > effect their opinion about Fedora.

>> > I suggest we just drop this page completely and use the default firefox

>> > about:home start page instead.

>> > Thoughts?

>> As seen before this page is used, to get people on the Planet.

> The planet is not really interesting for end-users, and contributors already

> have them in their RSS readers.

So the real question is:

Do we want this page to be contributor or end user centric? As we try

to keep both with a simple page, it could not work easily.
Existing contributors already follow the planet or know about it, and this page is not helping to get any potential contributors (aka end-users) to contribute, because it's cluttery and scary and has a lot of tecnobabble from the planet and announcements.

The default browser homepage is not the place to recruit new contributors, and it's really not the place to show information for existing contributors (we have mailing lists, wiki and planet RSS feed for that)

--

Kvin Raymond

(shaiton)

GPG-Key: A5BCB3A2

--
-Elad Alfassa.

Bill Nottingham 10-05-2012 02:45 PM

Elad Alfassa (elad@fedoraproject.org) said:
> I suggest we just drop this page completely and use the default firefox
> about:home start page instead.
> Thoughts?

I'd agree that it's probably not getting the best use out right now, but I
don't know that a FF specific page is better.

https://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help is Fedora-specific and likely more
useful (it would be a key component of any redesigned page.)

> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Start.fpo_redesign

Why not Just Do That?

Bill

10-05-2012 02:45 PM

Drop start.fedoraproject.org in favour of about:home

I agree in points 2 and 3.

However, I wouldn't drop it. I suggest a welcome page with useful information for newcomers, e.g. links to videos (html5, flash might not be installed) etc.

But I agree that it doesn't provide a clear function at all.

Nikos Roussos 10-05-2012 02:48 PM

Drop start.fedoraproject.org in favour of about:home

start.fedoraproject.org has many problems [0], mainly:

1) it's ugly

2) it doesn't serve a clear function

3) It's one of the first things people trying Fedora will see, so it'll effect their opinion about Fedora.

I suggest we just drop this page completely and use the default firefox about:home start page instead.

Thoughts?

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Start.fpo_redesign

The page above actually has a nice mockup that solves problem 1

I like having a different page than upstream about:home and I would go one step further providing a more "free" search engine than google (like duckduckgo).

Matthew Miller 10-05-2012 02:58 PM

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 04:35:28PM +0200, Kévin Raymond wrote:
> So the real question is:
> Do we want this page to be contributor or end user centric? As we try
> to keep both with a simple page, it could not work easily.

Making the page user-centric makes sense, but remember our target users are
people we want to engage so they can become contributors -- even if they're
not developers.

We were talking in the Marketing meeting about updating the default
bookmarks to point to Ask Fedora, and one excellent point is that those are
only used for brand-new users. The start page is something we can (and
should) refresh. It's unfortunate that it's not as pretty as
the http://fedoraproject.org main page -- but we can fix that.

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>