-   -   Activities mode search doesn't find files anymore? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/703359-activities-mode-search-doesnt-find-files-anymore.html)

Ankur Sinha 09-13-2012 01:39 AM

Activities mode search doesn't find files anymore?

Hi folks,

I was trying to use the search box in the activities view to find my pdf
files, but it doesn't work any more. I remember it working earlier. It
shows applications, folders, contacts, but no files in the search
results.

I installed the tracker-gui "desktop search", and that shows my files,
so tracker is working correctly. Gnome documents seems to show my files
too.

Is this a change in behaviour of the search box, or is it a bug (known?)

The desktop file search was a huge convenience, so I'm a little gutted
that it isn't working any more :/
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Please only print if necessary.

Looking to contribute to Fedora? Look here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Join_SIG

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/

Debarshi Ray 09-13-2012 09:42 AM

Activities mode search doesn't find files anymore?

> I was trying to use the search box in the activities view to find my pdf
> files, but it doesn't work any more. I remember it working earlier. It
> shows applications, folders, contacts, but no files in the search
> results.
>
> I installed the tracker-gui "desktop search", and that shows my files,
> so tracker is working correctly. Gnome documents seems to show my files
> too.
>
> Is this a change in behaviour of the search box, or is it a bug (known?)

Hard to say unless you mention which version of GNOME. Particularly
gnome-shell and gnome-documents.

Cheers,
Debarshi

--
http://i.imgur.com/Z7jjX.jpg

Ankur Sinha 09-13-2012 11:04 AM

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 09:42 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> Hard to say unless you mention which version of GNOME. Particularly
> gnome-shell and gnome-documents.

Hi Debarshi,

This is:

gnome-shell-3.4.1-5.fc17.x86_64
gnome-documents-0.4.2-1.fc17.x86_64
tracker-ui-tools-0.14.2-1.fc17.x86_64
tracker-0.14.2-1.fc17.x86_64

Giovanni Campagna 09-13-2012 11:39 AM

2012/9/13 Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 09:42 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
>> Hard to say unless you mention which version of GNOME. Particularly
>> gnome-shell and gnome-documents.
>>

> Hi Debarshi,
>
> This is:
>
> gnome-shell-3.4.1-5.fc17.x86_64
> gnome-documents-0.4.2-1.fc17.x86_64
> tracker-ui-tools-0.14.2-1.fc17.x86_64
> tracker-0.14.2-1.fc17.x86_64

In GNOME 3.4, the recent documents search provider which was available
in 3.2 was removed and replaced by documents search, which is a subset
of tracker's search and shows only documents. Full desktop search is
coming back in 3.6 thanks to the nautilus search provider (which can
use tracker or do a recursive filename search).

Giovanni

Debarshi Ray 09-13-2012 12:23 PM

Activities mode search doesn't find files anymore?

> In GNOME 3.4, the recent documents search provider which was available
> in 3.2 was removed and replaced by documents search, which is a subset
> of tracker's search and shows only documents.

... and gnome-documents only knows about things under ~/Downloads, ~/Documents
and your online accounts. So if you have your PDF in any location that is not
one of these, it will not show up.

Cheers,
Debarshi

--