Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Elad Alfassa

Default adwaita-firefox as a default Firefox theme for Fedora 18 GNOME installs

I'm pretty sure you are all familiar with the adwaita-firefox [1] theme.

It makes Firefox looks more "native" on GNOME, thus making the user experience more consistent.
I suggest we package it and make it default for the desktop spin. This requires:

1) Packaging the theme itself
2) Make firefox use it by default (example from Suse [2])3) Make sure we don't update Firefox without the theme being updated as well

I think this would be a noticeable improvement in user experience.

[1] https://github.com/adwaita-firefox-team/adwaita-firefox

[2] https://build.opensuse.org/package/files?package=firefox-branding-openSUSE-5&project=mozilla

--

-Elad Alfassa.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Heiko Adams

Am 20.08.2012 21:23, schrieb Elad Alfassa:
> I'm pretty sure you are all familiar with the adwaita-firefox [1] theme.
>

> It makes Firefox looks more "native" on GNOME, thus making the user
> experience more consistent.
> I suggest we package it and make it default for the desktop spin.

And what about the other spins like KDE, LXDE or Xfce? Installing
adwaita-firefox on these spins IMHO makes firefox looking more ugly than
with the firefox default theme.
--
Regards

Heiko Adams

Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Elad Alfassa

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Heiko Adams <heiko.adams@gmail.com> wrote:

Am 20.08.2012 21:23, schrieb Elad Alfassa:

> I'm pretty sure you are all familiar with the adwaita-firefox [1] theme.

> It makes Firefox looks more "native" on GNOME, thus making the user

> experience more consistent.

> I suggest we package it and make it default for the desktop spin.

And what about the other spins like KDE, LXDE or Xfce? Installing

adwaita-firefox on these spins IMHO makes firefox looking more ugly than

with the firefox default theme.
That's why I said *desktop* spin. the desktop spin is GNOME, not kde, not lxde and not xfce. It will only be default in gnome.

--

Regards

Heiko Adams

-Elad Alfassa.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 22:23 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:

> It makes Firefox looks more "native" on GNOME, thus making the user
> experience more consistent.

We're actually getting a much improved gtk2 version of Adwaita in 3.6 -
maybe that already makes the user experience consistent enough ?

Here is a screenshot of firefox with the new theme:

http://worldofgnome.org/gtk-bridge-theme-promises-a-better-gtk2-apps-look-in-gnome-3-6/

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Elad Alfassa

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 22:23 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:

> It makes Firefox looks more "native" on GNOME, thus making the user

> experience more consistent.

We're actually getting a much improved gtk2 version of Adwaita in 3.6 -

maybe that already makes the user experience consistent enough ?

Here is a screenshot of firefox with the new theme:

http://worldofgnome.org/gtk-bridge-theme-promises-a-better-gtk2-apps-look-in-gnome-3-6/*

I might not be reading this correctly, but isn't this screenshot a combination of Bridge and the adwaita firefox theme?

-Elad Alfassa.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 01:48 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:

> Here is a screenshot of firefox with the new theme:
>
> http://worldofgnome.org/gtk-bridge-theme-promises-a-better-gtk2-apps-look-in-gnome-3-6/
> I might not be reading this correctly, but isn't this screenshot a
> combination of Bridge and the adwaita firefox theme?

Hmm, maybe. In that case, packaging the firefox theme might be nice,
indeed.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Bastien Nocera

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 22:23 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you are all familiar with the adwaita-firefox [1]
> theme.
>

> It makes Firefox looks more "native" on GNOME, thus making the user
> experience more consistent.
> I suggest we package it and make it default for the desktop spin. This
> requires:
> 1) Packaging the theme itself
> 2) Make firefox use it by default (example from Suse [2])
> 3) Make sure we don't update Firefox without the theme being updated
> as well
>
> I think this would be a noticeable improvement in user experience.

This sounds like a good way to have breakage which we'd blame on Firefox
when the problem is actually with the theme, especially on upgrades.
Unless the person handling the theme is also the person doing the
Firefox packaging, I wouldn't go near doing this.

Cheers

Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Elad Alfassa

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@redhat.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 22:23 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you are all familiar with the adwaita-firefox [1]

> theme.

> It makes Firefox looks more "native" on GNOME, thus making the user

> experience more consistent.

> I suggest we package it and make it default for the desktop spin. This

> requires:

> 1) Packaging the theme itself

> 2) Make firefox use it by default (example from Suse [2])

> 3) Make sure we don't update Firefox without the theme being updated

> as well

> I think this would be a noticeable improvement in user experience.

This sounds like a good way to have breakage which we'd blame on Firefox

when the problem is actually with the theme, especially on upgrades.

Unless the person handling the theme is also the person doing the

Firefox packaging, I wouldn't go near doing this.

Cheers

I talked with Garret about this on IRC today.

He said that since the contributor base of the theme is bigger now, and it is much more well maintained, breakage is less likely to happen.

I think this is worth reconsidering.
--
-Elad Alfassa.