Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Carsten Breuer

Default Soundcards Race Condition

Hi all,

i have three soundcards on my computer
(one internal, 2 usb) running under FC8.
I use this to run two mpd's (music player daemon)
on the two USB-Soundcards.

The soundcards in my system makes a great race
during startup and you can never predict which one wins.

Since the setup defines an index of the internal
motherboard card in /etc/modprobe.conf, this card
is not available anymore if the USB-Soundcards
are detected first.

In my opinion this is a bad behavior of fedora core.
Users should be able to decide which id which
soundcard get. Of cource, you can write udev
rules for that, but IMO this is the job of fedora.

Why don't we delay the start of the soundcards until
all interfaces are enumerated? If this is done
immediately before running rc.local, everything
would be fine and there are no race conditions
any more. This would also make sure that
a soundcard doesn't disappear because
the given index is used by another card.

Best Regards,

Carsten

Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Fri, 11.04.08 22:37, Carsten Breuer (CarstenBreuerFDDesk@textwork.de) wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> i have three soundcards on my computer
> (one internal, 2 usb) running under FC8.
> I use this to run two mpd's (music player daemon)
> on the two USB-Soundcards.
>
> The soundcards in my system makes a great race
> during startup and you can never predict which one wins.
>
> Since the setup defines an index of the internal
> motherboard card in /etc/modprobe.conf, this card
> is not available anymore if the USB-Soundcards
> are detected first.
>
> In my opinion this is a bad behavior of fedora core.
> Users should be able to decide which id which
> soundcard get. Of cource, you can write udev
> rules for that, but IMO this is the job of fedora.
>
> Why don't we delay the start of the soundcards until
> all interfaces are enumerated? If this is done
> immediately before running rc.local, everything
> would be fine and there are no race conditions
> any more. This would also make sure that
> a soundcard doesn't disappear because
> the given index is used by another card.

Identifying sound cards by index is a thing from the past. PulseAudio
identifies sound cards by their HAL UDI.

system-config-soundcard has been removed from the installer and is no
longer part of the default install to make sure we don't write the
problematic /etc/modprobe.conf fragments anymore. There was some talk
to remove it from the distribution entirely, though I don't know what
the latest status of this is.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.
lennart [at] poettering [dot] net ICQ# 11060553

Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Jesse Keating

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 22:50 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> system-config-soundcard has been removed from the installer and is no
> longer part of the default install to make sure we don't write the
> problematic /etc/modprobe.conf fragments anymore. There was some talk
> to remove it from the distribution entirely, though I don't know what
> the latest status of this is.

It's gone.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Carsten Breuer

Hi Lennart,

> Identifying sound cards by index is a thing from the past. PulseAudio
> identifies sound cards by their HAL UDI.

I have my problems with pulseaudio, because i have studied
the documents one week every evening and was not able
to find out how to set it up.

Let me explain my setup:

My FC8-Server is in the basement and is connected with my
home entertainment with cables going from the basement
to a hole in the floor to the living room. I use CAT6-
cables with 7 meters length for USB.
This works mostly fine, but sometimes FC5 was not able
to detect the USB soundcards during boot.

My idea was exactly to use pulseaudio to stream the
audio to a thin client with linux on it (HP T5520)
over the network.

Since Fedora is not running on the thin client
(1.2 GHz, 128MB RAM), i use slackware.
I don't have X on that machine and i was not able
to setup pulseaudio. I have no problems to
build pulseaudio from sratch on that client,
but pulseaudio can do so much and all
the documentation only have examples but
no big picture for it (ok, one picture exist).

After a week without any success i have
dumped the thin client idea and wanted to go
back to the USB-Solution.

I like the idea to use pulseaudio but i have
no glue how to set it up. I don't want to
use AVAHI. I want a static configuration where
2 stereo channels for the two mpd's are transmitted
to the thin client where 2 sound cards are available.

Can't you guide me in the right direction what i
have to setup in default.pa, client.conf and daemon.conf?
That would be great :-).

Best Regards and thank's a lot,

Carsten

Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Carsten Breuer

Hi Jesse,
hi all,

Jesse Keating schrieb:
> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 22:50 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> system-config-soundcard has been removed from the installer and is no
>> longer part of the default install to make sure we don't write the
>> problematic /etc/modprobe.conf fragments anymore. There was some talk
>> to remove it from the distribution entirely, though I don't know what
>> the latest status of this is.
> It's gone.

In current rawhide beta (update yesterday) it is available.

Best Regards,

Carsten

Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Carsten Breuer wrote:

Hi Jesse,
hi all,

Jesse Keating schrieb:

system-config-soundcard has been removed from the installer and is no
longer part of the default install to make sure we don't write the
problematic /etc/modprobe.conf fragments anymore. There was some talk
to remove it from the distribution entirely, though I don't know what
the latest status of this is.

It's gone.

In current rawhide beta (update yesterday) it is available.

It has been blocked already

#cat /etc/fedora-release

Fedora release 8.93 (Rawhide)

#yum info system-config-rawhide

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Error: No matching Packages to list

Rahul

Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Carsten Breuer wrote:

Hi Jesse,
hi all,

Jesse Keating schrieb:

system-config-soundcard has been removed from the installer and is no
longer part of the default install to make sure we don't write the
problematic /etc/modprobe.conf fragments anymore. There was some talk
to remove it from the distribution entirely, though I don't know what
the latest status of this is.

It's gone.

In current rawhide beta (update yesterday) it is available.

It has been blocked already

#cat /etc/fedora-release

Fedora release 8.93 (Rawhide)

#yum info system-config-rawhide