FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Ankur Sinha
 
Default Evince and annotation support

Hello folks,

I've been looking for a pdf reader that provides annotation support.
It's a must for us research students that need to go through large
amounts of academic text. I ran into this bug[1] that says that Evince
would have annotation support in F15 (It was closed as "rawhide" long
back). I'm on the latest F17 system, but I can't find this in Evince
here. Would someone know what the status is? I've filed a fresh bug
too.[2]

I'm considering moving to okular or xournal which appear to have
annotation support out of necessity. However, I'd much prefer to stick
to my gnome set of tools

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=530238
[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=825198
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,
Ankur: "FranciscoD"

Please only print if necessary.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha
http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Florian Müllner
 
Default Evince and annotation support

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@gmail.com> wrote:


I've been looking for a pdf reader that provides annotation support.

It's a must for us research students that need to go through large

amounts of academic text. I ran into this bug[1] that says that Evince

would have annotation support in F15

It is rather well hidden, but there is indeed annotation support in Evince. Here's[0] the help of the F15 version. (Note that if there wasn't any support, opening a Fedora bug would be unlikely to fix that - issues like this belong upstream)



Florian

[0] http://library.gnome.org/users/evince/3.0/annotations.html.en

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Ankur Sinha
 
Default Evince and annotation support

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 13:30 +0200, Florian Müllner wrote:
> It is rather well hidden, but there is indeed annotation support in
> Evince. Here's[0] the help of the F15 version. (Note that if there
> wasn't any support, opening a Fedora bug would be unlikely to fix that
> - issues like this belong upstream)
>
>

Ah! Great!

Any clue why it's so well hidden? :-)

I filed the fedora bug so that the maintainer might be able to give some
clues. I would've filed a bug upstream after gaining some information
eventually :-)

I'm closing the bug with a link to the help document.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,
Ankur: "FranciscoD"

Please only print if necessary.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha
http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Ankur Sinha
 
Default Evince and annotation support

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 08:26 -0400, joseph reni wrote:
> Have you used Mendeley Desktop, I know they make a Linux version [1].
> It will track all of your refs, plus it will store all your pdf files
> and allow you to annotate them.
>
> 1. http://www.mendeley.com/download-mendeley-desktop/linux/
>
>

Hello Joseph,

I have used Mendeley, and while it's amazing, I'm really looking for a
FOSS tool kit at the moment. There are various tools for various
purposes, but none that does them all (organizing, referencing,
annotations etc.) really. I'm just going through their respective road
maps to see what else is planned.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,
Ankur: "FranciscoD"

Please only print if necessary.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha
http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Evince and annotation support

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 13:30 +0200, Florian Müllner wrote:

>
> It is rather well hidden, but there is indeed annotation support in
> Evince. Here's[0] the help of the F15 version. (Note that if there
> wasn't any support, opening a Fedora bug would be unlikely to fix that
> - issues like this belong upstream)

Here is a screenshot of it in action:
http://mclasen.fedorapeople.org/evince-annotation.png


--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default Evince and annotation support

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 17:09 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 13:30 +0200, Florian Müllner wrote:
> > It is rather well hidden, but there is indeed annotation support in
> > Evince. Here's[0] the help of the F15 version. (Note that if there
> > wasn't any support, opening a Fedora bug would be unlikely to fix that
> > - issues like this belong upstream)
> >
> >
>
> Ah! Great!
>
> Any clue why it's so well hidden? :-)

That's a bug really. People had similar problems getting access to
Totem's other sidebars. Annotations should be one click away from the
View menu.

Feel free to file an upstream bug about it.

> I filed the fedora bug so that the maintainer might be able to give some
> clues. I would've filed a bug upstream after gaining some information
> eventually :-)
>
> I'm closing the bug with a link to the help document.


--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Ankur Sinha
 
Default Evince and annotation support

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 14:11 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> That's a bug really. People had similar problems getting access to
> Totem's other sidebars. Annotations should be one click away from the
> View menu.
>
> Feel free to file an upstream bug about it.
>
>
Hello,

I found an already filed bug[1] :-)
The bug is filed against 2.9.x, and it's still applicable in the current
version:
evince-3.4.0-2.fc17.x86_64

So, should I file a new bug?

I am now looking for highlighting support, which appears to be a work in
progress[2]. Now, with the new gnome3, there's another application
called "gnome-documents". I am wondering if evince and gnome-documents
are going to work together, or is evince going to be phased out in
favour of gnome-documents? I mean, if evince is going to be phased out,
it might be better to work on adding all the features to gnome-documents
instead?

It's a little confusing at the moment: if you use the activity search
box, documents opens up, but if you use nautilus, evince opens up.

Would someone know what the plan is?

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=649045
[2]
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evince-list/2009-November/msg00008.html
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,
Ankur: "FranciscoD"

Please only print if necessary.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha
http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Evince and annotation support

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 12:37 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> I found an already filed bug[1] :-)
> The bug is filed against 2.9.x, and it's still applicable in the current
> version:
> evince-3.4.0-2.fc17.x86_64
>
> So, should I file a new bug?

No, one bug is enough.

> I am now looking for highlighting support, which appears to be a work in
> progress[2]. Now, with the new gnome3, there's another application
> called "gnome-documents". I am wondering if evince and gnome-documents
> are going to work together, or is evince going to be phased out in
> favour of gnome-documents? I mean, if evince is going to be phased out,
> it might be better to work on adding all the features to gnome-documents
> instead?
>
> It's a little confusing at the moment: if you use the activity search
> box, documents opens up, but if you use nautilus, evince opens up.
>
> Would someone know what the plan is?

gnome-documents and the shell search will be the primary interface to
all your documents, including preview. It will not support
format-specific features and editing, though. That's best left to
individual applications, such as evince for pdf.

I don't think nautilus launching evince is any more suprising than it
launching oowriter or gedit. nautilus is just no longer playing the
central role for searching and viewing all your documents that it had in
GNOME 2 when rendering the desktop. That role is being taken over by
gnome-documents.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org