Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Kamil Paral

Default InstallFedoraButton for LiveCD

Hello Desktop SIG,

I have created a gnome-shell extension for Fedora Desktop LiveCD which should make the Fedora Installer more discoverable. I have discussed it on devel list:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-April/165234.html

and then proposed to include it into anaconda:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2012-April/msg00212.html

Since your interest is the desktop and its default look and feel, could you please voice your opinions on one of those lists (preferably probably devel)?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 16:59 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> Hello Desktop SIG,
>
> I have created a gnome-shell extension for Fedora Desktop LiveCD which should make the Fedora Installer more discoverable. I have discussed it on devel list:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-April/165234.html
>
> and then proposed to include it into anaconda:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2012-April/msg00212.html
>
> Since your interest is the desktop and its default look and feel, could you please voice your opinions on one of those lists (preferably probably devel)?

Please don't do that. We want to ship gnome-shell without extensions, I
thought I had made that clear. What do you hope to achieve by putting
this extension in another package, making it impossible for us to avoid
it ?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Kamil Paral

> On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 16:59 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > Hello Desktop SIG,
> >
> > I have created a gnome-shell extension for Fedora Desktop LiveCD
> > which should make the Fedora Installer more discoverable. I have
> > discussed it on devel list:
> >
> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-April/165234.html
> >
> > and then proposed to include it into anaconda:
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2012-April/msg00212.html
> >
> > Since your interest is the desktop and its default look and feel,
> > could you please voice your opinions on one of those lists
> > (preferably probably devel)?
>
> Please don't do that. We want to ship gnome-shell without extensions,
> thought I had made that clear. What do you hope to achieve by putting
> this extension in another package, making it impossible for us to
> avoid
> it ?

Matthias, please comment in devel (preferred) or anaconda-devel list, so we don't split the discussion among X lists. This was just a call for desktop SIG members.

I know your opinion and I know you disapprove. OTOH all the other people (maybe with a single other exception) see it as an improvement, and I tend to believe we make Fedora for the people. That's why I send out this call, to have more desktop-related people comment on this, not just your single voice. I'd like to know what "we" in your sentence means. I don't want to offend you in any way, but my current impression is that you're taking stance of a desktop designer purist, who doesn't want to admit this is situation where an exception to your guidelines needs to be made. I know you're putting hard work into GNOME and I'm glad for it, but in this particular case I think you're just not seeing it through the end-user eyes.

I don't try to avoid anything, the discussion is very public (that's why I ask everyone to follow on that devel thread), but F17 deadline is nearing and I don't want to miss it.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Bastien Nocera

> > On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 16:59 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > > Hello Desktop SIG,
> > >
> > > I have created a gnome-shell extension for Fedora Desktop LiveCD
> > > which should make the Fedora Installer more discoverable. I have
> > > discussed it on devel list:
> > >
> > > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-April/165234.html
> > >
> > > and then proposed to include it into anaconda:
> > >
> > > https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2012-April/msg00212.html
> > >
> > > Since your interest is the desktop and its default look and feel,
> > > could you please voice your opinions on one of those lists
> > > (preferably probably devel)?
> >
> > Please don't do that. We want to ship gnome-shell without
> > extensions,
> > thought I had made that clear. What do you hope to achieve by
> > putting
> > this extension in another package, making it impossible for us to
> > avoid
> > it ?
>
> Matthias, please comment in devel (preferred) or anaconda-devel list,
> so we don't split the discussion among X lists. This was just a call
> for desktop SIG members.
>
> I know your opinion and I know you disapprove. OTOH all the other
> people (maybe with a single other exception) see it as an
> improvement, and I tend to believe we make Fedora for the people.

We don't want to ship extensions to gnome-shell.

> That's why I send out this call, to have more desktop-related people
> comment on this, not just your single voice. I'd like to know what
> "we" in your sentence means. I don't want to offend you in any way,
> but my current impression is that you're taking stance of a desktop
> designer purist, who doesn't want to admit this is situation where
> an exception to your guidelines needs to be made. I know you're
> putting hard work into GNOME and I'm glad for it, but in this
> particular case I think you're just not seeing it through the
> end-user eyes.

Nobody said we didn't want to make changes to gnome-shell to fix this particular problem, but shipping extensions is not the right way to fix this.