Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Nikos Roussos

Default Firefox UI on linux

Hi,

Let me first introduce myself. I'm a Fedora Ambassador and Packager. I also participate in the Mozilla community, and this is the reason for this email, hoping that this is the right list for this

Mozilla is considering on making some changes on Firefox UI for Linux that will affect the integration of Firefox on the GTK environment.

Due to these changes they re looking for people from the Fedora (and Gnome) desktop team to get some feedback and see what's the best way to proceed.

It would be nice if someone (or more) from the Desktop team come in touch with the Mozilla team, so please let me know so I can introduce you to the people working on this.
--
Nikos Roussos

about

Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Colin Walters

Hi Nikos,

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 13:17 +0200, Nikos Roussos wrote:

> It would be nice if someone (or more) from the Desktop team come in
> touch with the Mozilla team, so please let me know so I can introduce
> you to the people working on this.

You can contact some GNOME designers on GIMPNet IRC, #gnome-design.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Paweł Kubik

Well. I was thinking specifically about Gnome Shell. Someone has recently complained that switching windows hot corner is very uncomfortable. Can anyone fully agree? I can't. When I have many windows opened and I'm constantly opening and closing them, it's great, however sometimes people need some integrated environment.

When I am using only few windows I can remember which one has been opened first. Then the best solution is surprisingly the one from Windows 7, where SuperKey+numbers switches to corresponding window on the bar. It's so obvious and easy that we may think that we have nothing to do with it. Of course it's false!

We can still make improvements. I simply want to introduce some ideas to increase out productivity (well, maybe not best word for people who just talk). In the high school I was forced to read poetry. At first I could it twenty times I don't see anything, but analysing line by line let me deepen my interpretations. It didn't change my negative attitude at all, but showed me how how much can be overlooked in overall view. (sorry if I am obvious once again). The intuition may omit some things. By analysing single case we can find solution for wide range of them, just as by analysing single verse of poem we can find an idea for whole interpretation.

(I wouldn't like to be considered a great art lover who I'm not. I know that my comparison may be less helpful as it pretended to be.)

Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Brad B

Alt-tab still switches between windows in Gnome 3, doesn't it?

Ctrl-alt-D minimizes all windows...

I don't think that anybody in the FOSS world should need to look to Microsoft for UI ideas... Microsoft does not have the capability to design a coherent UI with a long term plan. MS is all about random featurism and user lockin.

(flame off)

Sent from my iPhone

Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Paweł Kubik

Sorry about previous message. Wrong list. I don't know how could it happened. It was supposed to go on usability@gnome.pl.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 AM
drago01

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Paweł Kubik <engr.maxyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well. I was thinking specifically about Gnome Shell. Someone has recently
> complained that switching windows hot corner is very uncomfortable. Can
> anyone fully agree?

No. But I fail to see what all this has to do with firefox ...

Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 AM
drago01

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Paweł Kubik <engr.maxyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry about previous message. Wrong list. I don't know how could it
> happened. It was supposed to go on usability@gnome.pl.

Oh sorry replied before reading this message.