Old 12-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Alexander Bahoor

Default Route Metric

Greetings,

*

Route metric is a variable *that a router uses to choose the best route to a destination. Depending on the routing protocol, the metric definition is different. What I’m trying to understand is how Linux defines the metric in the route
output command.

*

For example when a Fedora laptop has two active interfaces, Ethernet and wifi, the metric in route output, is set to 1 for Ethernet and 2 for WiFi. Reading the man page on the route command, it says the metric is defined as hop counts to
a destination. Based on the above observation, *this is incorrect or incomplete. It definitely include the hop count, but how fedora came up with 1 and 2. Could it be just used these number arbitrarily to indicate to IP, that the Ethernet interface is the
preferred path *to use to send traffic, because it’s speed is faster and more reliable?

*

Basically what I’m looking for is the definition of the metric defintion in Linux or Fedora. And if someone shed light on the windows definition that would be great.

*

Rgrds,

*

Alex