FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default What are we going to do about the broken modifiers?

Recent gtk updates have changed the way modifiers are handled and
therefor broken a lot of applications.
* ALT keys are broken in all gtk based terminals. There is a patch
for vte available at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=626792 but even
though it works, it seems controversial.
* xfwm4 has lost all keyboard shortcuts using CTRL. See bug
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=759478

Even if the old to handle modifiers may have been wrong, this change
should not have gone into a stable release, because it breaks a lot of
applications (at least gnome-terminal, Terminal, lilyterm, sakura,
termit, terminator, xfwm4) and violates the "Avoid changing the user
experience if at all possible" rule of our updates policy.

What are we going to do now? Revert the change in gtk or fix all
applications?

Regards,
Christoph



--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default What are we going to do about the broken modifiers?

On Sat, 2011-12-10 at 11:27 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Recent gtk updates have changed the way modifiers are handled and
> therefor broken a lot of applications.
> * ALT keys are broken in all gtk based terminals. There is a patch
> for vte available at
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=626792 but even
> though it works, it seems controversial.
> * xfwm4 has lost all keyboard shortcuts using CTRL. See bug
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=759478
>
> Even if the old to handle modifiers may have been wrong, this change
> should not have gone into a stable release, because it breaks a lot of
> applications (at least gnome-terminal, Terminal, lilyterm, sakura,
> termit, terminator, xfwm4) and violates the "Avoid changing the user
> experience if at all possible" rule of our updates policy.
>
> What are we going to do now? Revert the change in gtk or fix all
> applications?

It seems that 'all' boils down to vte + xfwm. Which seems quite
manageable. I'll see if I can help the vte patch along today. As for
xfwm, it seems clear that it must be doing wrong since accels involving
Control work fine in other gtk2 apps.


--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default What are we going to do about the broken modifiers?

On Sat, 2011-12-10 at 11:27 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Recent gtk updates have changed the way modifiers are handled and
> therefor broken a lot of applications.
> * ALT keys are broken in all gtk based terminals. There is a patch
> for vte available at
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=626792 but even
> though it works, it seems controversial.
> * xfwm4 has lost all keyboard shortcuts using CTRL. See bug
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=759478
>
> Even if the old to handle modifiers may have been wrong, this change
> should not have gone into a stable release, because it breaks a lot of
> applications (at least gnome-terminal, Terminal, lilyterm, sakura,
> termit, terminator, xfwm4) and violates the "Avoid changing the user
> experience if at all possible" rule of our updates policy.
>
> What are we going to do now? Revert the change in gtk or fix all
> applications?

I built gtk2/3 and vte2/3 updates earlier this week. I've also tried to
look for problematic code in xfwm briefly, but couldn't find anything.
Where should I look ?

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default What are we going to do about the broken modifiers?

Am Mittwoch, den 14.12.2011, 11:38 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:

> I built gtk2/3 and vte2/3 updates earlier this week.

Hi Matthias,

thanks a lot for these updates.

> I've also tried to
> look for problematic code in xfwm briefly, but couldn't find anything.
> Where should I look ?

I guess it is in libxfce4ui, more precisely in libxfce4kbd-private:
http://git.xfce.org/xfce/libxfce4ui/tree/libxfce4kbd-private

Regards,
Christoph

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default What are we going to do about the broken modifiers?

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 19:35 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:


> I guess it is in libxfce4ui, more precisely in libxfce4kbd-private:
> http://git.xfce.org/xfce/libxfce4ui/tree/libxfce4kbd-private
>

Ok, I've taken a look now, sorry it took me so long.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=768704 has a fix for
libxfce4ui.


--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org