Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Default Disable/remove "libsocialweb-core"

Given that I've noticed that "libsocialweb-core" is very keen on
speaking to "r-199-59-148-87.twttr.com" A.K.A twitter on port 443
without me as little as have configured twitter account let alone having
any "online accounts" configured in Gnome which makes one wonder what
the hell they are chatting about I would very much like to know how I
can disable it all together since I cant remove this from my computer
without removing gnomeshell along with it.

Any particular reason why this was not designed to be an
extension/addon/plugin to Gnome3?

Thanks
JBG

Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Peter Robinson

2011/11/29 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
> Given that I've noticed that "libsocialweb-core" is very keen on
> speaking to "r-199-59-148-87.twttr.com" A.K.A twitter on port 443
> without me as little as have configured twitter account let alone having
> any "online accounts" configured in Gnome which makes one wonder what
> the hell they are chatting about I would very much like to know how I
> can disable it all together since I cant remove this from my computer
> without removing gnomeshell along with it.

The chatting with twitter issue should be fixed with the 0.25.20 release.

Peter

Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM
drago01

2011/11/29 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
> On 11/29/2011 01:19 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> 2011/11/29 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"<johannbg@gmail.com>:
>>> Given that I've noticed that "libsocialweb-core" is very keen on
>>> speaking to "r-199-59-148-87.twttr.com" A.K.A twitter on port 443
>>> without me as little as have configured twitter account let alone having
>>> any "online accounts" configured in Gnome which makes one wonder what
>>> the hell they are chatting about I would very much like to know how I
>>> can disable it all together since I cant remove this from my computer
>>> without removing gnomeshell along with it.
>> The chatting with twitter issue should be fixed with the 0.25.20 release.
>
> Good that CVE-2011-4129 is fixed however I still would like to
> disable/remove this all together since I have no interest at all having
> my desktop making arbitrary connections and feeding social network sites
> what I am doing on the computer behind my back.

It does not do that.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Adam Jackson

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 12:52 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:

> For you that might not matter but to my clients,my family and my friends
> it does thus again how can I disable/remove "libsocialweb-core" so I can
> reduce the risk/prevent applications from "accidentally" doing that?

You're taking an instance of a bug and claiming it's a fundamental
design pattern.

Perhaps you shouldn't.

- ajax

Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Martin Sourada

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:34:37 -0500
Adam Jackson wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 12:52 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
>
> > For you that might not matter but to my clients,my family and my
> > friends it does thus again how can I disable/remove
> > "libsocialweb-core" so I can reduce the risk/prevent applications
> > from "accidentally" doing that?
>
> You're taking an instance of a bug and claiming it's a fundamental
> design pattern.
>
> Perhaps you shouldn't.

Well to me it seems more like he's:

1. questioning why is this lib an integral part of gnome shell while
it obviously just adds an add-on-like functionality; and

2. asking how to get rid of it in a way that would leave his
gnome-shell working and still not put his personal info into danger in
case another similar bug in this lib appears in the future.

Cheers,
Martin

Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Bill Nottingham

"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" (johannbg@gmail.com) said:
> > 2. asking how to get rid of it in a way that would leave his
> > gnome-shell working and still not put his personal info into danger in
> > case another similar bug in this lib appears in the future.
>
> Yes thanks Martin that's exactly what I meant.

rpm -e --nodeps

(when in doubt, try the obvious thing.)

Bill

Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Adam Williamson

> "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" (johannbg@gmail.com) said:
> > > 2. asking how to get rid of it in a way that would leave his
> > > gnome-shell working and still not put his personal info into danger in
> > > case another similar bug in this lib appears in the future.
> >
> > Yes thanks Martin that's exactly what I meant.
>
> rpm -e --nodeps
>
> (when in doubt, try the obvious thing.)

Sabotaging the distribution's package management system really is not a
reasonable solution to anything.

I have to say I share Johann's concerns to some degree. It's quite
difficult to see why GNOME is going in this direction of considering
IM / social networking systems to be 'core desktop functionality'. They
are not. The fact that lots of people use such things does not, in and
of itself, make them necessarily a core part of the desktop.

Looked at from a high-level theoretical viewpoint, twitter and Google+
and facebook and MSN and whatever else are just communication mechanisms
- various slightly differently-presented ways of sending messages to
other people. Do we build an IRC client into Shell next? An email
client? Usenet? Did we build an IRC client or email client into the
GNOME 1 or GNOME 2 shells, when those communication methods were in
vogue? Those are also just different takes on the basic idea of
'intra-personal text-based communication'. Designing a desktop around
the precise format of whatever communication method happens to be in
vogue at the time you design it looks like an excellent way to engineer
obsolescence, to me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Matthias Clasen

> I have to say I share Johann's concerns to some degree. It's quite
> difficult to see why GNOME is going in this direction of considering
> IM / social networking systems to be 'core desktop functionality'. They
> are not. The fact that lots of people use such things does not, in and
> of itself, make them necessarily a core part of the desktop.

The way the dependency works here is that gnome-shell uses the folks
library for displaying contacts as search results in the overview. Folks
has a frontend-backend abstraction with a number of different backends
(for eds, for libsocialweb, for telepathy...). For the purposes of
presenting an integrated experience, we are really mostly interested in
the eds and telepathy backends, while the libsocialweb one was one that
caused this problem... One obvious solution to the 'bad gnome, it
doesn't let me uninstall its bits one-by-one' complaint would be to
break out the folks backends as subpackages. I expect us to hard-require
the eds and telepathy ones in the shell, but the libsocialweb one could
easily be an optional add-on.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Adam Williamson

> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 10:18 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > I have to say I share Johann's concerns to some degree. It's quite
> > difficult to see why GNOME is going in this direction of considering
> > IM / social networking systems to be 'core desktop functionality'. They
> > are not. The fact that lots of people use such things does not, in and
> > of itself, make them necessarily a core part of the desktop.
>
> The way the dependency works here is that gnome-shell uses the folks
> library for displaying contacts as search results in the overview. Folks
> has a frontend-backend abstraction with a number of different backends
> (for eds, for libsocialweb, for telepathy...). For the purposes of
> presenting an integrated experience, we are really mostly interested in
> the eds and telepathy backends, while the libsocialweb one was one that
> caused this problem... One obvious solution to the 'bad gnome, it
> doesn't let me uninstall its bits one-by-one' complaint would be to
> break out the folks backends as subpackages. I expect us to hard-require
> the eds and telepathy ones in the shell, but the libsocialweb one could
> easily be an optional add-on.

That does seem more sensible, yes. I think this isn't just a solution to
a complaint you might see as a bit bogus, but sensible engineering: the
various service-specific backends to a general-purpose library like
folks *should* be modular.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Peter Robinson

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 10:18 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> I have to say I share Johann's concerns to some degree. It's quite
>> difficult to see why GNOME is going in this direction of considering
>> IM / social networking systems to be 'core desktop functionality'. They
>> are not. The fact that lots of people use such things does not, in and
>> of itself, make them necessarily a core part of the desktop.
>
> The way the dependency works here is that gnome-shell uses the folks
> library for displaying contacts as search results in the overview. Folks
> has a frontend-backend abstraction with a number of different backends
> (for eds, for libsocialweb, for telepathy...). For the purposes of
> presenting an integrated experience, we are really mostly interested in
> the eds and telepathy backends, while the libsocialweb one was one that
> caused this problem... One obvious solution to the 'bad gnome, it
> doesn't let me uninstall its bits one-by-one' complaint would be to
> break out the folks backends as subpackages. I expect us to hard-require
> the eds and telepathy ones in the shell, but the libsocialweb one could
> easily be an optional add-on.

I'm not sure why its actually currently built in at the moment, I
don't believe its used for any of the above. In Fedora 16 the only
online account that seems to be supported in GOA is google, so while
its obviously planned to be used in the future I'm not sure it is
actually currently used.

Peter