Old 05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Matěj Cepl

Default few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Alexander Larsson <alexl <at> redhat.com> writes:
> The thread I linked to contains a couple of real-life examples.
>
> Basically it forces every selection change to be copied to another
> process, and the selection changes all the time and can be large. This
> can be very slow. It also means you're not able to do smart things when
> you cut and paste inside an application (which is the common operation,
> and which basically every application uses).

So, what is the *proper* solution to this? Something changed in X? Or would just
limiting the size of the object to be put into glipper be enough?

Matěj

Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Adam Jackson

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 16:41 +0000, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Alexander Larsson <alexl <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > The thread I linked to contains a couple of real-life examples.
> >
> > Basically it forces every selection change to be copied to another
> > process, and the selection changes all the time and can be large. This
> > can be very slow. It also means you're not able to do smart things when
> > you cut and paste inside an application (which is the common operation,
> > and which basically every application uses).
>
> So, what is the *proper* solution to this? Something changed in X? Or would just
> limiting the size of the object to be put into glipper be enough?

I'm pretty well convinced by now that the only way to do c&p sanely is
to do it with something other than X selections. There's just no way to
overload selections with sensible behaviour while preserving all the
semantics that unix nerds are used to. Take off and nuke the site from
orbit.

I'm happy to add the feature to X if we know what we want it to act like
in Gnome.

- ajax