Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Valent Turkovic

Default Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Hi,
previous fedora versions had "Gimp" as entry in "open with" gnome menu
and now it is "GNU Image Manipulation Program".

What do you think is better "Gimp" or "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
for a name in the menu?

Also in Gnome Aplications menu there is "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
but most people know only about Gimp to that can be confusing.

Valent.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Brian Pepple

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 20:55 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> previous fedora versions had "Gimp" as entry in "open with" gnome menu
> and now it is "GNU Image Manipulation Program".
>
> What do you think is better "Gimp" or "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
> for a name in the menu?
>
> Also in Gnome Aplications menu there is "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
> but most people know only about Gimp to that can be confusing.

I believe this is a question for upstream, since as far as I'm aware we
don't modify the name in the supplied desktop file.

Later,
/B

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 20:55 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> Also in Gnome Aplications menu there is "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
> but most people know only about Gimp to that can be confusing.

How does somebody new to Linux know what "gimp" does?
--
Jesse Keating

Old 03-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Gian Paolo Mureddu

Valent Turkovic escribió:

Hi,
previous fedora versions had "Gimp" as entry in "open with" gnome menu
and now it is "GNU Image Manipulation Program".

What do you think is better "Gimp" or "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
for a name in the menu?

Also in Gnome Aplications menu there is "GNU Image Manipulation
Program" but most people know only about Gimp to that can be confusing.

Valent.

Actually I bumped into this "problem" when I migrated from F7 to F8, and
it struck me as a surprise quite a bit. I much rather have GIMP back
than "GNU Image Manipulation Program" or "Programa de Manipulación de
Imágenes GNU" in my Spanish session.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 AM
Gian Paolo Mureddu