-   -   Packages for everybody ! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/594089-packages-everybody.html)

Matthias Clasen 11-03-2011 01:49 AM

Packages for everybody !

A number of GNOME modules have been split upstream, and need to be
packaged for Fedora 17. Thankfully, the results of the splits should be
smaller and more straightforward to package:

gnome-utils has exploded into
baobab
gnome-font-viewer
gnome-dictionary
gnome-search-tool
gnome-system-log
gnome-screenshot
gnome-dictionary

gnome-keyring keeps spawning new libraries, the latest one is
gcr

seahorse has shed its pgp key sharing component as a standalone
seahorse-sharing module and its nautilus extension as seahorse-nautilus

I'm hoping to find some people who are willing to take on these small
modules - I'll happily do package reviews.

Matthias

Elad 11-03-2011 08:07 AM

Packages for everybody !

A number of GNOME modules have been split upstream, and need to be

packaged for Fedora 17. Thankfully, the results of the splits should be

smaller and more straightforward to package:

gnome-utils has exploded into

baobab

gnome-font-viewer

gnome-dictionary

gnome-search-tool

gnome-system-log

gnome-screenshot

gnome-dictionary

gnome-keyring keeps spawning new libraries, the latest one is

gcr

seahorse has shed its pgp key sharing component as a standalone

seahorse-sharing module and its nautilus extension as seahorse-nautilus

I'm hoping to find some people who are willing to take on these small

modules - I'll happily do package reviews.

Matthias

I'll take baobab and gnome-screenshot.

--
-Elad Alfassa.

drago01 11-03-2011 08:34 AM

Packages for everybody !

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> A number of GNOME modules have been split upstream, and need to be
> packaged for Fedora 17. Thankfully, the results of the splits should be
> smaller and more straightforward to package:
>
> gnome-utils has exploded into
> baobab
> gnome-font-viewer
> gnome-dictionary
> gnome-search-tool
> gnome-system-log
> gnome-screenshot
> gnome-dictionary
>
> gnome-keyring keeps spawning new libraries, the latest one is
> gcr

Kinda unrelated but how do we handle this for upgrades?
One does upgrade from F16 to F17 and loose the tools?

Elad 11-03-2011 09:30 AM

Packages for everybody !

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

> A number of GNOME modules have been split upstream, and need to be

> packaged for Fedora 17. Thankfully, the results of the splits should be

> smaller and more straightforward to package:

> gnome-utils has exploded into

> baobab

> gnome-font-viewer

> gnome-dictionary

> gnome-search-tool

> gnome-system-log

> gnome-screenshot

> gnome-dictionary

> gnome-keyring keeps spawning new libraries, the latest one is

> gcr

Kinda unrelated but how do we handle this for upgrades?

One does upgrade from F16 to F17 and loose the tools?

I guess we will need to add an Obsolete, or maybe make gnome-utils remain as a metapackage that will require all those new packages, just to make sure the upgrade case will work.

btw, there was a separated package for baobab in the past, what's the protocol for reviving such package?
--
-Elad Alfassa.

Bill Nottingham 11-03-2011 01:31 PM

Packages for everybody !

Elad (elad@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > gnome-utils has exploded into
> > > baobab
> > > gnome-font-viewer
> > > gnome-dictionary
> > > gnome-search-tool
> > > gnome-system-log
> > > gnome-screenshot
> > > gnome-dictionary
> > >
> > > gnome-keyring keeps spawning new libraries, the latest one is
> > > gcr
> >
> > Kinda unrelated but how do we handle this for upgrades?
> > One does upgrade from F16 to F17 and loose the tools?
> > --
> >

> I guess we will need to add an Obsolete, or maybe make gnome-utils remain
> as a metapackage that will require all those new packages, just to make
> sure the upgrade case will work.

In the general case, we just have all of them obsolete the last version of
gnome-utils.

Bill

Matthias Clasen 11-03-2011 05:34 PM

Packages for everybody !

> > > Kinda unrelated but how do we handle this for upgrades?
> > > One does upgrade from F16 to F17 and loose the tools?

> > I guess we will need to add an Obsolete, or maybe make gnome-utils remain
> > as a metapackage that will require all those new packages, just to make
> > sure the upgrade case will work.
>
> In the general case, we just have all of them obsolete the last version of
> gnome-utils.

Will that ensure that they all get installed on upgrade ?
I seem to recall instances in the past where we've kept an empty
meta-package around for a release just to get upgrades right.

drago01 11-03-2011 06:55 PM

Packages for everybody !

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Kinda unrelated but how do we handle this for upgrades?
>> > One does upgrade from F16 to F17 and loose the tools?
>> > --
>> >

>> I guess we will need to add an Obsolete, or maybe make gnome-utils remain
>> as a metapackage that will require all those new packages, just to make
>> sure the upgrade case will work.
>
> In the general case, we just have all of them obsolete the last version of
> gnome-utils.

Wouldn't yum just pick a semi random one ? (shortest name or whatever
it uses to decide here)

Bill Nottingham 11-03-2011 07:04 PM

Packages for everybody !

Matthias Clasen (mclasen@redhat.com) said:

> > > I guess we will need to add an Obsolete, or maybe make gnome-utils remain
> > > as a metapackage that will require all those new packages, just to make
> > > sure the upgrade case will work.
> >
> > In the general case, we just have all of them obsolete the last version of
> > gnome-utils.
>
> Will that ensure that they all get installed on upgrade ?

It should - if multiple packages obsolete something, you get all of them.

Bill

Adam Williamson 11-03-2011 09:48 PM

Packages for everybody !

> > > In the general case, we just have all of them obsolete the last version of
> > > gnome-utils.
> >
> > Will that ensure that they all get installed on upgrade ?
>
> It should - if multiple packages obsolete something, you get all of them.

I can mostly confirm this is definitely the case and working in F16:
it's the mechanism we use to get *both* grub-efi *and* grub2 installed
on an F15->F16 upgrade, to replace grub. Both those packages obsolete
grub, and we've tested that this causes both anaconda and yum to install
both of those packages when doing the upgrade.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey