-   -   fedora 8, is it for me? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/5686-fedora-8-me.html)

Max Jordan 11-26-2007 06:22 PM

fedora 8, is it for me?

hello i am thinking about switching to fedora and i am having a heck of a time trying to get information, i have a dell Inspiron B130* celeron processor.
and i can't seem to find if there are any hard ware* incompatibilities and weather or not i can have it installed on this computer without having major cross compatibility issues, i have some programs such as windows media player and windows movie maker that i would like to continue to use, as well as a few built in hardware features. so i guess my question would be, fedora 8, is it for me?

Thank you
Bren

David Zeuthen 11-26-2007 07:24 PM

fedora 8, is it for me?

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 11:22 -0800, Max Jordan wrote:
> hello i am thinking about switching to fedora and i am having a heck
> of a time trying to get information, i have a dell Inspiron B130
> celeron processor.
> and i can't seem to find if there are any hard ware incompatibilities
> and weather or not i can have it installed on this computer without
> having major cross compatibility issues, i have some programs such as
> windows media player and windows movie maker that i would like to
> continue to use, as well as a few built in hardware features. so i
> guess my question would be, fedora 8, is it for me?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostIsOffTopic

Thanks,
David

Gerold Kassube 11-26-2007 07:25 PM

fedora 8, is it for me?

ONE way to find it out ....

download (if possible) a LIVE-Version and try out what you want to do
with it :-)

Regards

Gerold

Max Jordan 11-26-2007 11:18 PM

fedora 8, is it for me?

where would i get a live version and how do i install it?

download (if possible) a LIVE-Version and try out what you want to do
with it :-)

Regards

Gerold

Am Montag, den 26.11.2007, 11:22 -0800 schrieb Max Jordan:
> hello i am thinking about switching to fedora and i am having a heck
> of a time trying to get information, i have a dell Inspiron B130
> celeron processor.
> and i can't seem to find if there are any hard ware
* incompatibilities
> and weather or not i can have it installed on this computer without
> having major cross compatibility issues, i have some programs such as
> windows media player and windows movie maker that i would like to
> continue to use, as well as a few built in hardware features. so i
> guess my question would be, fedora 8, is it for me?
>

> Thank you
> Bren

with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com

Gian Paolo Mureddu 11-26-2007 11:40 PM

fedora 8, is it for me?

David Zeuthen escribió:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostIsOffTopic

Thanks,
David

Maybe there's need to be a better explanation for the Desktop list? I
see way too often "off-topic" messages posted to this list too, so maybe
it is time to better explain what the purpose of the list is? The
message doesn't seem to be getting across the audience all that well, as
if someone want s to use Fedora as a desktop OS, they find this list and
"assume" (as we know, incorrectly) that it is the right place to post.
Even the name may be deceiving (fedora-deskop, instead of
fedora-desktop-devel or some such), maybe is time to check that? For
many feodra-users gets way too much traffic, and some feel more
granularity about fedora usage is in order (similar to the granularity
of the forums in fedoraforum, I'm not directly comparing, though), at
any rate one thin is clear, a better statement of the purpose of the
list, or a better way to make it clear enough... Though I can hardly
think of anything better than what we already have in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate

Gian Paolo Mureddu 11-27-2007 03:49 AM

fedora 8, is it for me?

Max Jordan escribió:

where would i get a live version and how do i install it?

Just go to the project's site and check the "Get Fedora" section ;)

And you don't install a Live version, you run it from the CD/DVD drive
and see how well your hardware setup is generally supported, some times
HW support is better when the system is actually installed, as some
updates add better support for some devices, but a live system should
give you a general impression of what the system is all about.