FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
revealed

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"

This raises 2 questions:
1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
3.2?
2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from? In the past we had the xml
files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
terminal applications let people know the proper
exec-flag/exec-arg?

Regards,
Christoph


--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Dagan McGregor
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:10:28 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> revealed
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec
> <terminal>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal
> exec-arg "'-e'"
>
> This raises 2 questions:
> 1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in
> GNOME
> 3.2?
> 2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from? In the past we had the
> xml
> files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of
> several
> terminal applications let people know the proper
> exec-flag/exec-arg?

I am not sure the exec-arg is required. At least it's not from my
experience. I set the 'Open Terminal' keybind to find the default
terminal was not configured, and had to use the first command above for
terminal to open.

I am also curious if anyone can advise, is it possible to get terminal
apps to appear in the ALT-TAB window switch view, seperate from Gnome
Terminal. For users of irssi or mutt, etc.

At the moment my irssi terminal profile is grouped under Gnome
Terminal, even when opening from a .desktop file of my own making.
So I guess I am possibly missing an option.

cheers,
Dagan

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> revealed
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"
>
> This raises 2 questions:
> 1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
> 3.2?

It's possible, but I really wouldn't want to see it in the UI. Feel free
to ask gnome-tweak-tool to add it.

> 2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from?

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gsettings-desktop-schemas/tree/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml.in.in#n42

> In the past we had the xml
> files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
> terminal applications let people know the proper
> exec-flag/exec-arg?

Is that XML file not current anymore? I don't really understand the
question.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 11:16 +1300, Dagan McGregor wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:10:28 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> > revealed
> >
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec
> > <terminal>
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal
> > exec-arg "'-e'"
> >
> > This raises 2 questions:
> > 1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in
> > GNOME
> > 3.2?
> > 2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from? In the past we had the
> > xml
> > files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> > contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of
> > several
> > terminal applications let people know the proper
> > exec-flag/exec-arg?
>
> I am not sure the exec-arg is required. At least it's not from my
> experience. I set the 'Open Terminal' keybind to find the default
> terminal was not configured, and had to use the first command above for
> terminal to open.
>
> I am also curious if anyone can advise, is it possible to get terminal
> apps to appear in the ALT-TAB window switch view, seperate from Gnome
> Terminal. For users of irssi or mutt, etc.
>
> At the moment my irssi terminal profile is grouped under Gnome
> Terminal, even when opening from a .desktop file of my own making.
> So I guess I am possibly missing an option.

My guess is that you would need a .desktop file, and use the --class
parameter to gnome-terminal.

But one shouldn't really have to do this by hand, and the problem is
similar to the creation of "web apps" from chrome or epiphany. Best
bring this up with the gnome-shell developers on the shell mailing-list.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

Am Freitag, den 24.06.2011, 09:51 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> > revealed
> >
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"
> >
> > This raises 2 questions:
> > 1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
> > 3.2?
>
> It's possible, but I really wouldn't want to see it in the UI. Feel free
> to ask gnome-tweak-tool to add it.

Why not? I consider this not a tweak but a very basic task. I mean, why
not force people to use evolution, epiphany and totem then?

> > 2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from?
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gsettings-desktop-schemas/tree/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml.in.in#n42

Well, I know there is a preset for gnome-terminal but what about other
terminals?

> > In the past we had the xml
> > files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> > contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
> > terminal applications let people know the proper
> > exec-flag/exec-arg?
>
> Is that XML file not current anymore? I don't really understand the
> question.

Right, there are no XML files any longer. Xfce's Terminal package still
has one (because it was built a while ago) but the value is not picked
up. gnome-terminal no longer provides an XML file. I looked for a
X-GNOME-* key in gnome-terminal.desktop, but no luck either.

It seems like exec-flag/exec-arg only live in the schema you linked and
it is no longer possible for a developer/maintainer to deliver a working
configuration for other terminals. Is that correct?

Regards,
Christoph


--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 14:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 24.06.2011, 09:51 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> > On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > > I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> > > revealed
> > >
> > > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
> > > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"
> > >
> > > This raises 2 questions:
> > > 1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
> > > 3.2?
> >
> > It's possible, but I really wouldn't want to see it in the UI. Feel free
> > to ask gnome-tweak-tool to add it.
>
> Why not? I consider this not a tweak but a very basic task. I mean, why
> not force people to use evolution, epiphany and totem then?

Because those are reasonable choices for an end-user to make, something
they can actually experience themselves. If you can grasp the
differences between the terminal emulators available you can run a
couple of commands in your "not preferred" terminal emulator.

> > > 2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from?
> >
> > http://git.gnome.org/browse/gsettings-desktop-schemas/tree/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml.in.in#n42
>
> Well, I know there is a preset for gnome-terminal but what about other
> terminals?

Because we're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose
their own terminal emulators.

> > > In the past we had the xml
> > > files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> > > contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
> > > terminal applications let people know the proper
> > > exec-flag/exec-arg?
> >
> > Is that XML file not current anymore? I don't really understand the
> > question.
>
> Right, there are no XML files any longer. Xfce's Terminal package still
> has one (because it was built a while ago) but the value is not picked
> up. gnome-terminal no longer provides an XML file. I looked for a
> X-GNOME-* key in gnome-terminal.desktop, but no luck either.
>
> It seems like exec-flag/exec-arg only live in the schema you linked and
> it is no longer possible for a developer/maintainer to deliver a working
> configuration for other terminals. Is that correct?

Huh? You change both keys, as mentioned above, and voila. Or you ship
the XML file in whatever ends up configuring the terminal.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Colin Walters
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Because we're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose
> their own terminal emulators.

I would say more that if you're the kind of user that wants to tweak
this stuff, gsettings from the command line is *better* than having
UI.

$ gsettings list-recursively | grep terminal
org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec 'gnome-terminal'
org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg '-x'

Pretty easy to do.
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 06-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

Am Freitag, den 24.06.2011, 13:41 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 14:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 24.06.2011, 09:51 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> > > On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > > > I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> > > > revealed
> > > >
> > > > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
> > > > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"
> > > >
> > > > This raises 2 questions:
> > > > 1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
> > > > 3.2?
> > >
> > > It's possible, but I really wouldn't want to see it in the UI. Feel free
> > > to ask gnome-tweak-tool to add it.
> >
> > Why not? I consider this not a tweak but a very basic task. I mean, why
> > not force people to use evolution, epiphany and totem then?
>
> Because those are reasonable choices for an end-user to make, something
> they can actually experience themselves. If you can grasp the
> differences between the terminal emulators available you can run a
> couple of commands in your "not preferred" terminal emulator.

Given that you know the right commands. You first need to search the
internet because there is zero documentation about this on the installed
system or the gnome.org website. Then you need to look up the options
from the terminal and the third step is to actually "run a couple of
commands" on the terminal.

Why so hard? What is so bad about another dropdown? Just that you don't
like it? To me it looks like making simple tasks very hard just to then
claim "This is something only hackers do."

> > > > 2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from?
> > >
> > > http://git.gnome.org/browse/gsettings-desktop-schemas/tree/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml.in.in#n42
> >
> > Well, I know there is a preset for gnome-terminal but what about other
> > terminals?
>
> Because we're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose
> their own terminal emulators.

YMMD! I'm sorry, I had to blog you at
http://www.christoph-wickert.de/blog/2011/06/25/gnome-developer-qoute-of-the-day/

There are people who are working in (their preferred) terminals all day
but don't have a clue about gsetings of dconf. Still they use GNOME
because they think it's a nice desktop. You think it is wise to exclude
them from your target audience by definition?

> > > > In the past we had the xml
> > > > files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> > > > contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
> > > > terminal applications let people know the proper
> > > > exec-flag/exec-arg?
> > >
> > > Is that XML file not current anymore? I don't really understand the
> > > question.
> >
> > Right, there are no XML files any longer. Xfce's Terminal package still
> > has one (because it was built a while ago) but the value is not picked
> > up. gnome-terminal no longer provides an XML file. I looked for a
> > X-GNOME-* key in gnome-terminal.desktop, but no luck either.
> >
> > It seems like exec-flag/exec-arg only live in the schema you linked and
> > it is no longer possible for a developer/maintainer to deliver a working
> > configuration for other terminals. Is that correct?
>
> Huh? You change both keys, as mentioned above, and voila.

Again, this requires one know them...

But this was not the question. I asked what the developer or package
maintainer can do and I even made a proposal [1], but your response is
only about what users do.

> Or you ship the XML file in whatever ends up configuring the terminal.

So what configures the terminal? What XML file should I actually ship? I
cannot replace org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml
AFAICS this is only stored once in gsettings and there is no way to ship
alternative configurations for other terminals.

I hope you can understand that for me as (co-)maintainer of 6 different
terminals in Fedora this is an important question and I would like to
hear a better reasoning than "I don't want to see this in control
center".

Regards,
Christoph

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=653363

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Nils Philippsen
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 10:54 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Because we're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose
> > their own terminal emulators.
>
> I would say more that if you're the kind of user that wants to tweak
> this stuff, gsettings from the command line is *better* than having
> UI.
>
> $ gsettings list-recursively | grep terminal
> org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec 'gnome-terminal'
> org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg '-x'
>
> Pretty easy to do.

Hmm, doesn't work here:

--- 8< ---
nils@gibraltar:~> gsettings list-recursively | grep terminal
Usage:
gsettings list-recursively SCHEMA[:PATH]

List keys and values, recursively

Arguments:
SCHEMA The name of the schema
PATH The path, for relocatable schemas
--- >8 ---

This is gesetting from glib2-2.28.8-1.fc15.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty
nils@redhat.com nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
PGP fingerprint: C4A8 9474 5C4C ADE3 2B8F 656D 47D8 9B65 6951 3011

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default Default terminal in GNOME 3

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 14:48 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 10:54 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Because we're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose
> > > their own terminal emulators.
> >
> > I would say more that if you're the kind of user that wants to tweak
> > this stuff, gsettings from the command line is *better* than having
> > UI.
> >
> > $ gsettings list-recursively | grep terminal
> > org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec 'gnome-terminal'
> > org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg '-x'
> >
> > Pretty easy to do.
>
> Hmm, doesn't work here:

That functionality is in glib 2.29. I don't think that it's what Colin
was focusing on anyway, and using dconf-editor would have worked just as
well.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org