Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Space for wallpapers in Fedora 16

Hi everyone,

The Fedora design team had a meeting today for Fedora 16 planning and
we'd like to try for a four-wallpaper pack for Fedora 16. (We can
provide a slideshow XML file for GNOME, if KDE / XFCE / LXDE support
something like slideshows let us know and we can try to provide it).

We wanted to provide a heads up so that you could account for the space
early on in the cycle if you wanted all of the wallpapers for your spin;
in the past when we've done a slideshow set it has caused last-minute
space issues: we'd very much like to avoid that.

Based on previous wallpapers and the high resolution we are targeting,
6-8 MB is probably a good guesstimate of the maximum amount of space we
might need. In the end, we may need to pull back and focus on really
polishing only one of the wallpapers; as the release progresses we can
keep you updated on what to expect.

If you're interested in following the artwork progress, we have an
artboard here: http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/

Is this okay?

Thanks,
~m

(As a favor to me, I'd appreciate it very much if you could keep me on
the CC of replies )

Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 17:45:40 -0400,
Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> We wanted to provide a heads up so that you could account for the space
> early on in the cycle if you wanted all of the wallpapers for your spin;
> in the past when we've done a slideshow set it has caused last-minute
> space issues: we'd very much like to avoid that.

One suggestion I have is get something in early that is about the right
size even if it doesn't look good. That will provide an early warning
to people about potential size issues that might miss or forget about
the heads up notice later on.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Misha Shnurapet

08.06.2011, 06:45, "Máirín Duffy" <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> If you're interested in following the artwork progress, we have an
> artboard here: http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/

Are all the previous submissions gone?

--
Best regards,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shnurapet

Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Máirín Duffy

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 01:58 +0000, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> 08.06.2011, 06:45, "Máirín Duffy" <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> > If you're interested in following the artwork progress, we have an
> > artboard here: http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/
>
> Are all the previous submissions gone?

They are, and it's my fault. publictest04 had to be taken down so I had
to rebuild it. I thought I had backed it up properly before it had to be
wiped and rebuilt... but when I went to rebuild it the data from the
filesystem was gone (I still had the DB). But I couldn't rebuild it from
what I had so I had to start from scratch. I'm really sorry

~m

Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Misha Shnurapet

08.06.2011, 11:48, "Máirín Duffy" <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 01:58 +0000, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
>
>> *08.06.2011, 06:45, "Máirín Duffy" <duffy@fedoraproject.org>;:
>>> *If you're interested in following the artwork progress, we have an
>>> *artboard here: http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/
>> *Are all the previous submissions gone?
>
> They are, and it's my fault. publictest04 had to be taken down so I had
> to rebuild it. I thought I had backed it up properly before it had to be
> wiped and rebuilt... but when I went to rebuild it the data from the
> filesystem was gone (I still had the DB). But I couldn't rebuild it from
> what I had so I had to start from scratch. I'm really sorry

It's OK. I'll post mine back if you don't mind.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Kevin Kofler

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> The Fedora design team had a meeting today for Fedora 16 planning and
> we'd like to try for a four-wallpaper pack for Fedora 16. (We can
> provide a slideshow XML file for GNOME, if KDE / XFCE / LXDE support
> something like slideshows let us know and we can try to provide it).
>
> We wanted to provide a heads up so that you could account for the space
> early on in the cycle if you wanted all of the wallpapers for your spin;
> in the past when we've done a slideshow set it has caused last-minute
> space issues: we'd very much like to avoid that.

I'm sorry for raining on your parade again, but I really don't think this is
a good idea. I'd prefer very much to use the available limited space for
software than for wallpapers!

The KDE spin was at 692 MiB for Fedora 15 and our plan is to add Kamoso
(webcam application, newly released and reviewed) and at least one backup
solution for Fedora 16. It all has to fit into 700 MiB. That means, we're
basically already out of space. We may have to scale back our plans due to
the usual package size growth we've been seeing at each release anyway, it'd
be sad if wallpapers were the issue.

I realize and understand that a good-looking default wallpaper is a very
important part of the user experience. I just don't think we need 4 of them
installed by default. Users can easily replace their wallpaper anyway. I
think it'd be a much better idea to have one beautiful default wallpaper and
focus on polishing that, also because schedules are tight (as you have
noticed in previous release cycles).

Kevin Kofler

Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:45:40 PM MáirÃ*n Duffy wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The Fedora design team had a meeting today for Fedora 16 planning and
> we'd like to try for a four-wallpaper pack for Fedora 16. (We can
> provide a slideshow XML file for GNOME, if KDE / XFCE / LXDE support
> something like slideshows let us know and we can try to provide it).
>
> We wanted to provide a heads up so that you could account for the space
> early on in the cycle if you wanted all of the wallpapers for your spin;
> in the past when we've done a slideshow set it has caused last-minute
> space issues: we'd very much like to avoid that.
>
> Based on previous wallpapers and the high resolution we are targeting,
> 6-8 MB is probably a good guesstimate of the maximum amount of space we
> might need. In the end, we may need to pull back and focus on really
> polishing only one of the wallpapers; as the release progresses we can
> keep you updated on what to expect.
>
> If you're interested in following the artwork progress, we have an
> artboard here: http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/

Hi,
yep, we have a support for slideshow in Plasma. But it depends if it's just
slideshow or time based wp change as we saw before in Gnome. I was thinking
about implemnting it to Plasma but after aseigo's review of the old one Gnome
XML file I decided better not do it. Even aseigo is still waiting for
implementation

Just one thing - as Kevin pointed out - the extended slideshow wps should be in
separate subpackage and the default package should be the single one due to live
image space constraints. Especially for Plasma spin.

Another important thing is - we need some simple designs. I really like Fedora
designs as these aren't usually the boring abstract something like in other
distros but today with Gnome Shell, the Plasma Netbook brother (I'm surprised
how similar these two are, very nice for touchable netbooks) - the desktop now
serves for activities (both Shell and Plasma ones). The Plasma Active is going
to be even more using the desktop... So this is something you, as Design team
should consider. But still I hope we can have amazing designs, not just colorful
spits

Thanks
Jaroslav

> Is this okay?
>
> Thanks,
> ~m
>
> (As a favor to me, I'd appreciate it very much if you could keep me on
> the CC of replies )

Jaroslav ŘeznÃ*k <jreznik@redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 602 797 774
Red Hat, Inc. http://cz.redhat.com/

Old 06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
María Leandro

Hola people!

Best case scenario: We have a light saber and we use it to make developers, packagers and everyone to put 4 awesome wallpapers in a 10gb extended (with some magic) DVD

Real case scenario: We have (and will have in the next couple of weeks) a group of impressive wallpapers with Verne's books as inspiration.

Worst case scenario: We build this transition and a group of verne's wallpapers (rather transition or just a wallpapers set) and spread it to the world.

----

Why?

This is one of the oportunities that we need to take. We have all team working in several ideas and with a huge motivation to "send a message" with our artwork. I think that instead say *no* we should keep providing ideas to use all the artwork that we are (and will be) producing for the next month.

So... anyone has more ideas on how implement this great wallpapers?

--
tatica