Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Matthias Clasen

Default user dirs in f16

Since gnome3 does no longer show the desktop folder contents on the
desktop, having 'Desktop' show up in the file chooser is confusing, at
best. Thankfully, GTK+ already hides it if it is the same as HOME. So,
for F16 I plan to change the default xdg-user-dirs configuration to set
Desktop=HOME. Existing users will not be affected by this change.

Matthias

Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Rex Dieter

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Since gnome3 does no longer show the desktop folder contents on the
> desktop, having 'Desktop' show up in the file chooser is confusing, at
> best. Thankfully, GTK+ already hides it if it is the same as HOME. So,
> for F16 I plan to change the default xdg-user-dirs configuration to set
> Desktop=HOME.

As this affects everyone, not just gnome users, I'd suggest moving this
topic to -devel or somewhere for a wider discussion if possible.

Offhand, I can certainly understand the incentive to simplify matters and
have one-less folder, but it also makes me a bit nervous that other software
and DE's may make assumptions about ~/Desktop being present and used as well
as breaking some user expectations about ~/Desktop existence and use. Both
of these are fixable, of course.

-- Rex

Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Rex Dieter