Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Elad

Default Drop Pino from default list for Fedora 15

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 23:43 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> As *a co-maintainer, I would note that it is not in a very usable state
>> and upstream is not going to fix these issues in time for the Fedora 15
>> release. *You can replace it with Hotot or Gwibber if it is better or if
>> it too late to be doing this, just not ship with a micro blogging client
>> at all and evaluate one of the options for the next release. * Thanks
>
> I would be opposed to pulling an entirely new app in the spin at this
> point, but dropping pino is fine with me.

Didn't we have Gwibber in F14 by default?

--
-Elad.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 19:26 +0300, Elad wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 23:43 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> As a co-maintainer, I would note that it is not in a very usable state
> >> and upstream is not going to fix these issues in time for the Fedora 15
> >> release. You can replace it with Hotot or Gwibber if it is better or if
> >> it too late to be doing this, just not ship with a micro blogging client
> >> at all and evaluate one of the options for the next release. Thanks
> >
> > I would be opposed to pulling an entirely new app in the spin at this
> > point, but dropping pino is fine with me.
> >
> > --
> >
> Didn't we have Gwibber in F14 by default?

No, it was pino.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Dagan McGregor

On Tue, 10 May 2011 20:43:45 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 19:26 +0300, Elad wrote:
>> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Matthias Clasen
>> <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

>> state
>> Fedora 15
>> better or if
>> client
>> Thanks
>> >
>> > I would be opposed to pulling an entirely new app in the spin at
>> this
>> > point, but dropping pino is fine with me.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> Didn't we have Gwibber in F14 by default?
>
> No, it was pino.

The change to Pino was, from my understanding, due to lesser
dependencies and issues over space on the LiveCD back when Gwibber
imported the Erlang packages and the CouchDB desktop database. Gwibber
has since moved to using SQLite and yet still not been accepted back to
being provided as the default.

Pino has never worked properly for a number of people, especially with
the Twitter OAuth move, and this issue has been raised with the last two
releases, and somewhat to Fedora's discredit, the discussion is going
around in circles back to disabling Pino again during the Beta cycle
because, yet again, it doesn't work.

Gwibber by default?
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2010-April/006002.html

F14: what to do about pino / twitter
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2010-October/006546.html

Can the decision be made to ship the currently working Gwibber, even
with the occassional bugs it does have, it does at least fit the working
use-cases to be included as a default application?

The previous threads about Pino/Gwibber cover 95% of the issues
(lateness in the release cycle, etc) in this regard, to save people some
typing

cheers,
Dagan