Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Michael Cronenworth

Default Autostart Empathy

Is Empathy supposed to start automatically?

I'm running on a F14->F15 system (preupgrade) and I have to manually
kick it off on login.

Sure, I could create a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart, but I'd
like to know if there's something missing on my system.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 22:55 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Is Empathy supposed to start automatically?
>
> I'm running on a F14->F15 system (preupgrade) and I have to manually
> kick it off on login.
>
> Sure, I could create a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart, but I'd
> like to know if there's something missing on my system.

You mean, by default? Not AFAIK, no.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Adam Williamson wrote:
> You mean, by default? Not AFAIK, no.

Yes. OK, thanks. The status menu is setup in such a way that I was
expecting automatic startup by default.

What use are the "available" or "busy" options when nothing uses them by
default?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Brian Pepple

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> You mean, by default? Not AFAIK, no.
>
> Yes. OK, thanks. The status menu is setup in such a way that I was
> expecting automatic startup by default.
>
> What use are the "available" or "busy" options when nothing uses them by
> default?

You mean on the Me Menu? If so, when you set it to busy it will
prevent notifications (Package Updates, Rhythmbox songs, etc) from
interrupting the user while working.

Later,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B *CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Brian Pepple wrote:
> You mean on the Me Menu? If so, when you set it to busy it will
> prevent notifications (Package Updates, Rhythmbox songs, etc) from
> interrupting the user while working.

I see...

I've read many web/wiki/pdf pages about Gnome 3 and had not seen that
yet. I guess I need to keep reading.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Michael Knepher

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Brian Pepple wrote:
>> You mean on the Me Menu? If so, when you set it to busy it will
>> prevent notifications (Package Updates, Rhythmbox songs, etc) from
>> interrupting the user while working.
>
> I see...

And, if empathy *is* running, it will change the empathy status.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/04/2011 11:28 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Brian Pepple wrote:
>> You mean on the Me Menu? If so, when you set it to busy it will
>> prevent notifications (Package Updates, Rhythmbox songs, etc) from
>> interrupting the user while working.
> I see...
>
> I've read many web/wiki/pdf pages about Gnome 3 and had not seen that
> yet. I guess I need to keep reading.

Desktop help has the brief info

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/shell-session-status.html.en

Rahul