FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Alexander Volovics
 
Default A very strange problem occurs with fed 15 + gnome 3 beta

This is probably not the right place to post but I suspect somebody
here can give me a helpful hint.

I have been running the fed15/gnome3 beta on my laptop without
any problems up till now but something very curious has happened.

I cannot boot a live cd on this laptop anymore!
The cd drive lights flash, it makes some noises and then
instead of the BIOS giving priority to the cd drive it seems
as if fed15 just steams ahead and takes control instead
of the distro on the cd and up pops the fed15 bootloader/manager
screen again.
It does not make a difference if I restart or shutdown and
power up again.

The laptop is configured to boot from cd.
The live cd (fed15 + xfce) works perfectly in another pc.
I can mount the cd drive and look at the contents, unmount it
and eject the drive.
The same happens with another live cd (ubuntu 11.04).
Booting a live cd worked perfectly under the previous OS: fed14.

Before I file a bug report I would like to know if I am
overlooking some (configuration) quirk of fed15/gnome3,
something that has changed from fed14.

And if a file a bug, under what system or OS component.

Alexander

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Bastien Nocera
 
Default A very strange problem occurs with fed 15 + gnome 3 beta

On Sat, 2011-04-30 at 11:51 +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> This is probably not the right place to post but I suspect somebody
> here can give me a helpful hint.
>
> I have been running the fed15/gnome3 beta on my laptop without
> any problems up till now but something very curious has happened.
>
> I cannot boot a live cd on this laptop anymore!
> The cd drive lights flash, it makes some noises and then
> instead of the BIOS giving priority to the cd drive it seems
> as if fed15 just steams ahead and takes control instead
> of the distro on the cd and up pops the fed15 bootloader/manager
> screen again.
> It does not make a difference if I restart or shutdown and
> power up again.
>
> The laptop is configured to boot from cd.
> The live cd (fed15 + xfce) works perfectly in another pc.
> I can mount the cd drive and look at the contents, unmount it
> and eject the drive.
> The same happens with another live cd (ubuntu 11.04).
> Booting a live cd worked perfectly under the previous OS: fed14.
>
> Before I file a bug report I would like to know if I am
> overlooking some (configuration) quirk of fed15/gnome3,
> something that has changed from fed14.
>
> And if a file a bug, under what system or OS component.

Sounds like your CD is damaged, or the CD drive doesn't like it.

In any case, it's much too early in the setup to be caused by the
desktop used, so you might want to ask for help on the fedora users list
to see if somebody else had that problem.

Cheers

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Alexander Volovics
 
Default A very strange problem occurs with fed 15 + gnome 3 beta

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 04:21:21PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > I cannot boot a live cd on this laptop anymore!

> Sounds like your CD is damaged, or the CD drive doesn't like it.

Must be something like that. I was using up a batch of old and
cheap rewritable CD's. It works again with a good quality read only CD.
But it still remains 'black magic'.

> In any case, it's much too early in the setup to be caused by the
> desktop used,

Think before you act. I realized this about 10 minutes after posting
the message.

Alexander

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org