Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Christoph Wickert

Default No more panel applets?

I wonder how to add panel applets to the panel in fallback mode of F15
Beta. There is no menu on right click.

If panel applets are no longer supported we need
* an announcement to all packagers
* to retire all applets and block them from F15 and rawhide
* gnome-panel properly obsolete the retired packages
* to have this documented in the release notes

Did I forget something?

Regards,
Christoph

Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Elad

Read here: http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!

--
-Elad.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Montag, den 25.04.2011, 16:35 +0300 schrieb Elad:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I wonder how to add panel applets to the panel in fallback mode of F15
> > Beta. There is no menu on right click.
> >
> > If panel applets are no longer supported we need
> > * an announcement to all packagers
> > * to retire all applets and block them from F15 and rawhide
> > * gnome-panel properly obsolete the retired packages
> > * to have this documented in the release notes
> >
> > Did I forget something?
> >
> Read here: http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!

So? I did read that article but I still have no idea how to add applets
to the gnome-panel. I tried ALT + right click but there was no menu.

What I have learned though is that bonobo based applets are no longer
supported, only dbus based ones are. This means we need to retire, block
and properly obsolete many packages but so far this hasn't happened.

Regards,
Christoph

Old 04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 03:33:09PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> * to have this documented in the release notes

>From Desktop beat of release notes:
* * *
2.1.1.1.8. What happened to applets?

Traditional GNOME panel applets are not supported in gnome-shell as
explained here. The general design of GNOME 3 puts more emphasis on
full applications, instead of squeezing too much into a small strip or
space at the edge of your screen. There are, however, people working
on an extension mechanism for the shell, similar to Firefox
extensions. The code lives in this git repository. We don't expect
this to be available in polished or packaged form for GNOME 3.0,
though.

Any existing applets that have been adapted to use the new
libpanel-applet will be available in fallback mode. However, fallback
is not considered the default mode of operation and will not be
actively developed in the future. For more information on applets and
transitioning to gnome-shell, see this GNOME wiki page.

Some applets support a -w switch that allows them to run in a
dedicated window if needed."
* * *

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Changes_for_Desktop_Users.html

Red Hat Summit/JBossWorld -- Register now! http://.theredhatsummit.com

Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Colin Walters

Hi Christoph,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:

> If panel applets are no longer supported we need
> * * ** an announcement to all packagers

The Release notes seems good enough, no?

> * * ** to retire all applets and block them from F15 and rawhide

This should come after:

> * * ** gnome-panel properly obsolete the retired packages

What about the attached patch?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:13:30 -0400, CW wrote:

> > * * ** gnome-panel properly obsolete the retired packages
>
> What about the attached patch?

If these Obsoletes will make it, could you please add

Obsoletes: gnome-applet-netspeed

? That pkg is one [of a few] that has been retired during F-15 Rawhide.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Colin Walters

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

> ? That pkg is one [of a few] that has been retired during F-15 Rawhide.

Done; is there a way to get a list of the other ones? Hm, I guess I
should do this repoquery on F14, and union the lists.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Brian Pepple

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ? That pkg is one [of a few] that has been retired during F-15 Rawhide.
>
> Done; is there a way to get a list of the other ones? *Hm, I guess I
> should do this repoquery on F14, and union the lists.

The contact-lookup-applet was also retired during F-15.

Thanks,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B *CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Bill Nottingham

Colin Walters (walters@verbum.org) said:
> > ? That pkg is one [of a few] that has been retired during F-15 Rawhide.
>
> Done; is there a way to get a list of the other ones? Hm, I guess I
> should do this repoquery on F14, and union the lists.

... while checking for any of the F-14 ones that have been ported to
the current libraries, yes.

Bill

Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 04:13:30PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> +# repoquery --whatrequires libpanel-applet-2.so.0 gnome-python2-applet
> +# as of Fedora 15 20110428
> +Obsoletes: gnome-python2-applet
> +Obsoletes: file-browser-applet
> +Obsoletes: glunarclock
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-bubblemon
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-cpufire
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-globalmenu
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-grandr
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-music
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-sensors
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-window-picker
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applets
> +Obsoletes: gnome-netstatus
> +Obsoletes: gnome-python2-applet
> +Obsoletes: gnubiff
> +Obsoletes: lock-keys-applet
> +Obsoletes: uim-gnome
> +Obsoletes: deskbar-applet
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-jalali-calendar
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-music
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-timer
> +Obsoletes: gnome-applets
> +Obsoletes: gnome-schedule
> +Obsoletes: hamster-applet
> +Obsoletes: x-tile

Shouldn't these Obsoletes: be versioned just in case someone wants to
introduce a newer version of a package with the same name later?