Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Adam Williamson

Default No more panel applets?

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 18:15 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 04:13:30PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > +# repoquery --whatrequires libpanel-applet-2.so.0 gnome-python2-applet
> > +# as of Fedora 15 20110428
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-python2-applet
> > +Obsoletes: file-browser-applet
> > +Obsoletes: glunarclock
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-bubblemon
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-cpufire
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-globalmenu
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-grandr
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-music
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-sensors
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-window-picker
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applets
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-netstatus
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-python2-applet
> > +Obsoletes: gnubiff
> > +Obsoletes: lock-keys-applet
> > +Obsoletes: uim-gnome
> > +Obsoletes: deskbar-applet
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-jalali-calendar
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-music
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applet-timer
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-applets
> > +Obsoletes: gnome-schedule
> > +Obsoletes: hamster-applet
> > +Obsoletes: x-tile
>
> Shouldn't these Obsoletes: be versioned just in case someone wants to
> introduce a newer version of a package with the same name later?

+1, obsoletes should *always* be versioned.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Colin Walters

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> +1, obsoletes should *always* be versioned.

Building:

The one item left to figure out here is libpanelappletmm, which gnote
depends on. We'd basically need to port gnote to keep it installed
after an upgrade.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Dagan McGregor

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:13:30 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If panel applets are no longer supported we need
>> * * ** an announcement to all packagers
>
> The Release notes seems good enough, no?
>
>> * * ** to retire all applets and block them from F15 and rawhide
>
> This should come after:
>
>> * * ** gnome-panel properly obsolete the retired packages
>
> What about the attached patch?

Is anyone able to advise what will happen to the hardware monitoring
applet?

Will this work in GNOME3 or GNOME Shell? Or do we need to wait for
new 'widgets' to appear in a later GNOME release (3.2?) for this sort of
functionality to appear again?

The hardware sensor applet is the main applet I use on my machine,
apart from window switching.

Cheers,
Dagan

Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Gianluca Sforna

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Dagan McGregor <ardrigh@acsonline.co.nz> wrote:

> *Is anyone able to advise what will happen to the hardware monitoring
> *applet?
>
> *Will this work in GNOME3 or GNOME Shell? *Or do we need to wait for
> *new 'widgets' to appear in a later GNOME release (3.2?) for this sort of
> *functionality to appear again?

I think we will need to wait, see:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/AppletsTransition

> *The hardware sensor applet is the main applet I use on my machine,
> *apart from window switching.

+1

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

Old 05-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Bill Nottingham

Dagan McGregor (ardrigh@acsonline.co.nz) said:
> Is anyone able to advise what will happen to the hardware monitoring
> applet?
>
> Will this work in GNOME3 or GNOME Shell? Or do we need to wait for
> new 'widgets' to appear in a later GNOME release (3.2?) for this sort of
> functionality to appear again?

(Assuming you're talking about gnome-applets-sensors)

If someone ports it to the new libpanel_applet, it will be available
for use in fallback mode. Otherwise, it will have to wait until someone
writes some sort of extension for it.

Bill

Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 19:45 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > +1, obsoletes should *always* be versioned.
>
> Building:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=241336
>
> The one item left to figure out here is libpanelappletmm, which gnote
> depends on. We'd basically need to port gnote to keep it installed
> after an upgrade.

I'm pretty certain I disabled the panel applet in one of my recent
builds of gnote.

$ rpm -q --requires gnote | grep panel
$

Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 16:23 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 19:45 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1, obsoletes should *always* be versioned.
> >
> > Building:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=241336
> >
> > The one item left to figure out here is libpanelappletmm, which gnote
> > depends on. We'd basically need to port gnote to keep it installed
> > after an upgrade.
>
> I'm pretty certain I disabled the panel applet in one of my recent
> builds of gnote.
>
> $ rpm -q --requires gnote | grep panel
> $

yeah, I remember we dealt with that a few weeks back.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey