-   -   Why doesn't GTK+ 2 Adwaita look more like GTK+ 3 Adwaita? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/516361-why-doesnt-gtk-2-adwaita-look-more-like-gtk-3-adwaita.html)

Adam Williamson 04-20-2011 07:52 AM

Why doesn't GTK+ 2 Adwaita look more like GTK+ 3 Adwaita?

Well...see subject. Something I realized had been niggling me when the
(mostly positive) Register review of F15 Beta mentioned it. GTK+ 2
'Adwaita' sure looks a lot like Clearlooks; is there a reason it can't
be a bit more grey/white and rounded, like GTK+ 3 Adwaita? Why the blue?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Kristˇf Timur 04-20-2011 10:47 AM

Why doesn't GTK+ 2 Adwaita look more like GTK+ 3 Adwaita?

I totally agree.
I asked this a while ago on #gnome-design and they said that they
haven't had enough time/manpower to make Adawaita for Gtk 2, so it is
just a "placeholder".

Cosimo Cecchi 04-20-2011 01:34 PM

Why doesn't GTK+ 2 Adwaita look more like GTK+ 3 Adwaita?

> Well...see subject. Something I realized had been niggling me when the
> (mostly positive) Register review of F15 Beta mentioned it. GTK+ 2
> 'Adwaita' sure looks a lot like Clearlooks; is there a reason it can't
> be a bit more grey/white and rounded, like GTK+ 3 Adwaita? Why the blue?

Hi Adam,

yes, the GTK2 theme is really nothing more than Clearlooks (it uses the
Clearlooks engine indeed). Tweaking it to make it more similar to the
GTK3 theme is possible, though you probably can't make it exactly the
same, but it's a lot of work, which we didn't have enough time to do
last cycle.
Anyway, upstream is interested in improving it, so help is welcome of
course, but I'd rather spend time porting apps to GTK3 instead of
writing another GTK2 engine/theme.

Cosimo

Cosimo Cecchi 04-20-2011 01:34 PM