Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Adam Williamson

Default Debugging the 'something has gone wrong' screen

The 'Oh no! Something has gone wrong' screen is rather un-helpful from
the point of view of debugging. I'm working on a live image for the Test
Day on Thursday; the one I'm currently testing is very unstable on my
laptop, and hit that screen three times within two minutes of testing
(immediately on first attempted login, then shortly after the session
started the next two logins, while I was trying to get the wireless
connected). I don't know how I can provide a useful bug report, though,
because I've no idea what the screen really means (_what_ went wrong?
Why is it so unrecoverable that all you can do is pop up a BSOD and kick
me to gdm?) or how to debug it. A guide would help thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Timur Kristóf

It can be caused by gnome-shell being unable to load.
In some cases, this is caused by buggy extensions.

In some cases, you can just Alt+F4 out of this "BSOD" window and
continue working, but this doesn't always work.

Cheers,
Timur

Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Adam Williamson

> The 'Oh no! Something has gone wrong' screen is rather un-helpful from
> the point of view of debugging. I'm working on a live image for the Test
> Day on Thursday; the one I'm currently testing is very unstable on my
> laptop, and hit that screen three times within two minutes of testing
> (immediately on first attempted login, then shortly after the session
> started the next two logins, while I was trying to get the wireless
> connected). I don't know how I can provide a useful bug report, though,
> because I've no idea what the screen really means (_what_ went wrong?
> Why is it so unrecoverable that all you can do is pop up a BSOD and kick
> me to gdm?) or how to debug it. A guide would help thanks!

Thanks to the team we tracked down this specific issue (to gnome-shell
falling over badly when a file's missing from gnome-menus , more or
less). In case it helps anyone else following the list, apparently the
BSOD (or 'fail whale' as it's known to the team) shows up when some
component controlled by gnome-session fails to start more than once; in
this case gnome-shell was crashing shortly after startup, and the second
crash would trigger the fail whale.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey