Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Bastien Nocera

Default Sound theme selection GUI

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 12:30 +0300, Elad wrote:
> Hello desktop team.
> We, at the Fedora sound SIG [1] are creating sound themes [2] for fedora.
> As we were investigating how to create a sound theme, Lennart pointed
> out that GNOME's sound configuration UI does not allow switching
> themes, only switching alert sounds.
>
> Now that's a crappy UX!

It would be a crappy UX if we actually wanted to provide sound theme
selection. Which we don't.

There's code to be reused in gnome-media if you want to implement 1)
sound theme selection 2) sound theme customisation. We have no plans for
either in the sound panel for the gnome-control-center.

Oh, and I'd rather you didn't insult people's work when you've done
absolutely no research into the reasoning behind such decisions.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Elad

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 12:30 +0300, Elad wrote:
>> Hello desktop team.
>> We, at the Fedora sound SIG [1] are creating sound themes [2] for fedora.
>> As we were investigating how to create a sound theme, Lennart pointed
>> out that GNOME's sound configuration UI does not allow switching
>> themes, only switching alert sounds.
>>
>> Now that's a crappy UX!
>
> It would be a crappy UX if we actually wanted to provide sound theme
> selection. Which we don't.
Why?

> There's code to be reused in gnome-media if you want to implement 1)
> sound theme selection 2) sound theme customisation. We have no plans for
> either in the sound panel for the gnome-control-center.
>
> Oh, and I'd rather you didn't insult people's work when you've done
> absolutely no research into the reasoning behind such decisions.

I did not mean to insult anyone, and I'm sorry if I did.

-Elad.