Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Elad

Default Sound theme selection GUI

Hello desktop team.
We, at the Fedora sound SIG [1] are creating sound themes [2] for fedora.
As we were investigating how to create a sound theme, Lennart pointed
out that GNOME's sound configuration UI does not allow switching
themes, only switching alert sounds.

Now that's a crappy UX! Users will search sound themes with
gnome-packagekit, and install them. But how would they know how to
enable it? Most users doesn't know what gsettings is, and we can't put
it in the README file because most users are not aware of
/usr/share/docs.

I would expect GNOME's sound configuration UI to allow selecting a
sound theme, and:
* The UI should have a button for searching for sound themes
automatically in pacakgekit.
* The UI should allow changing the gdm user sound theme (so that
sounds like system-ready will be used from the user installed theme
and not the freedesktop theme).

It should be rather easy to implement, and will improve UX in
installing and using a sound theme.

I guess it's too late to add it to Fedora 15 (I hope I'm wrong, and
there is still time), and if it is, a secondary temporary UI should be
created for switching sound themes, and packaged for Fedora 14 and
Fedora 15. This is a really ugly workaround, so it should be only
temporary, until the required change is done in upstream GNOME.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Sound
[2] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/music/2011-April/000791.html
--
-Elad.