-   -   Question about liveinst.desktop on live image (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/514618-question-about-liveinst-desktop-live-image.html)

Bruno Wolff III 04-15-2011 02:13 PM

Question about liveinst.desktop on live image

When liveinst was added to the favorites list for the Desktop live image,
liveinst.desktop was renamed anaconda.desktop. I was wondering if someone
could explain to me what the effect of using anaconda for the name is?
I put liveinst in the favorites on the QA Test Day spin and it seemed to
work without needing to due the rename, but I might not have noticed some
subtle effect.

In case it helps here are the two commits for implementing this on
the Desktop live image.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=commit;h=5d5d8fe116cde005abe361aa 41467293adf8a094

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=commit;h=ddba2be8e208111b7f61b4c5 8d97fff01280c43b

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Matthias Clasen 04-15-2011 02:34 PM

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 09:13 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> When liveinst was added to the favorites list for the Desktop live image,
> liveinst.desktop was renamed anaconda.desktop. I was wondering if someone
> could explain to me what the effect of using anaconda for the name is?
> I put liveinst in the favorites on the QA Test Day spin and it seemed to
> work without needing to due the rename, but I might not have noticed some
> subtle effect.
>
> In case it helps here are the two commits for implementing this on
> the Desktop live image.
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=commit;h=5d5d8fe116cde005abe361aa 41467293adf8a094
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=commit;h=ddba2be8e208111b7f61b4c5 8d97fff01280c43b
>
> Thanks for any insight you can give me.

The commit message kinda explains it. gnome-shell relies on wm-class
matching the desktop file name, in order to find the icon and name to
display in the app menu (next to the activities hot corner). If your
spin doesn't use gnome-shell, it probably doesn't make any difference to
you.