-   -   resume from suspend doesn't present a locked screen (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/514392-resume-suspend-doesnt-present-locked-screen.html)

Chuck Anderson 04-14-2011 10:04 PM

resume from suspend doesn't present a locked screen

In F15 Beta, suspending doesn't lock the screen, so resuming from
suspend-to-ram doesn't ask you to enter your password--I think this is
a security risk (or at least an inconvenience) because anyone could
come along later and access your session if you forget to manually
lock the screen.

Would the desktop team consider implementing auto-screen-lock on
suspend please?

Thanks.

Brian Pepple 04-14-2011 10:08 PM

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra@wpi.edu> wrote:
> In F15 Beta, suspending doesn't lock the screen, so resuming from
> suspend-to-ram doesn't ask you to enter your password--I think this is
> a security risk (or at least an inconvenience) because anyone could
> come along later and access your session if you forget to manually
> lock the screen.
>
> Would the desktop team consider implementing auto-screen-lock on
> suspend please?

Hmmm, when I suspend to ram, I get the lock screen on resume (and have
for a while now). Is your machine current on updates?

Later,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B *CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Adam Williamson 04-14-2011 10:19 PM

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 18:04 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> In F15 Beta, suspending doesn't lock the screen, so resuming from
> suspend-to-ram doesn't ask you to enter your password--I think this is
> a security risk (or at least an inconvenience) because anyone could
> come along later and access your session if you forget to manually
> lock the screen.
>
> Would the desktop team consider implementing auto-screen-lock on
> suspend please?

It does for me, and has for weeks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Chuck Anderson 04-14-2011 11:25 PM

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 03:19:54PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 18:04 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > In F15 Beta, suspending doesn't lock the screen, so resuming from
> > suspend-to-ram doesn't ask you to enter your password--I think this is
> > a security risk (or at least an inconvenience) because anyone could
> > come along later and access your session if you forget to manually
> > lock the screen.
> >
> > Would the desktop team consider implementing auto-screen-lock on
> > suspend please?
>
> It does for me, and has for weeks.

Strange. I'm all up-to-date as well, but it has /never/ done this
correctly for me. I most recently re-installed from the F15 Beta TC2
i686 Live image. Could this be a setting that is different on the
Live image vs. DVD?

Chuck Anderson 04-14-2011 11:26 PM

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 07:25:18PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 03:19:54PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 18:04 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > > In F15 Beta, suspending doesn't lock the screen, so resuming from
> > > suspend-to-ram doesn't ask you to enter your password--I think this is
> > > a security risk (or at least an inconvenience) because anyone could
> > > come along later and access your session if you forget to manually
> > > lock the screen.
> > >
> > > Would the desktop team consider implementing auto-screen-lock on
> > > suspend please?
> >
> > It does for me, and has for weeks.
>
> Strange. I'm all up-to-date as well, but it has /never/ done this
> correctly for me. I most recently re-installed from the F15 Beta TC2
> i686 Live image. Could this be a setting that is different on the
> Live image vs. DVD?

s/TC2/RC2/ - i.e. Beta

Adam Williamson 04-15-2011 12:42 AM

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 19:26 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> > Strange. I'm all up-to-date as well, but it has /never/ done this
> > correctly for me. I most recently re-installed from the F15 Beta TC2
> > i686 Live image. Could this be a setting that is different on the
> > Live image vs. DVD?
>
> s/TC2/RC2/ - i.e. Beta

There's no reason they should differ.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Adam Williamson 04-15-2011 02:44 PM

resume from suspend doesn't present a locked screen

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 18:04 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> In F15 Beta, suspending doesn't lock the screen, so resuming from
> suspend-to-ram doesn't ask you to enter your password--I think this is
> a security risk (or at least an inconvenience) because anyone could
> come along later and access your session if you forget to manually
> lock the screen.
>
> Would the desktop team consider implementing auto-screen-lock on
> suspend please?

Y'know what, this morning I resumed from suspend and it *wasn't* locked.
So maybe this is just a brand new bug.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey