Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Default fallback and safe modes

Hi

If for some reason, fallback mode doesn' get activated or the default
interface is not working properly, would it be useful to have a option
to choose fallback mode in GDM itself? I recently ran into a issue
where GNOME Shell would launch but all the windows were black and hence
couldn't go to system settings and force fallback mode on. I traced
this problem due a upgrade issue eventually but in such situations,
ability to choose the mode right in the login screen is useful

Another option I think is needed is a safe mode which basically ignores
all the installed extensions. The reason is that, these GNOME Shell
extensions are essentially arbitrary javascript and if I install a bunch
of extensions and one of them has a bug, GNOME Shell basically gives up
and you can't login. Similar to Firefox, a safe mode might be handy to have

Rahul

Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Matthias Clasen

> Another option I think is needed is a safe mode which basically ignores
> all the installed extensions. The reason is that, these GNOME Shell
> extensions are essentially arbitrary javascript and if I install a bunch
> of extensions and one of them has a bug, GNOME Shell basically gives up
> and you can't login. Similar to Firefox, a safe mode might be handy to have

That is why we don't recommend installing extensions...
more seriously, 'one of them has a bug' is a little to generic to be
useful. What kind of problem did you encounter, and how did the shell
fail to work ?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/11/2011 07:00 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> That is why we don't recommend installing extensions...
> more seriously, 'one of them has a bug' is a little to generic to be
> useful. What kind of problem did you encounter, and how did the shell
> fail to work ?

Perhaps it wasn't clear but I was talking about providing a generic
functionality that allows a user to quickly disable all extensions in
case one of them has a bug or something is broken and user wants to
ensure that it is not because of one of the extensions akin to how
Firefox has a safe made option. I wasn't referring to any specific bug.

Rahul

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Matthias Clasen

> On 04/11/2011 07:00 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > That is why we don't recommend installing extensions...
> > more seriously, 'one of them has a bug' is a little to generic to be
> > useful. What kind of problem did you encounter, and how did the shell
> > fail to work ?
>
> Perhaps it wasn't clear but I was talking about providing a generic
> functionality that allows a user to quickly disable all extensions in
> case one of them has a bug or something is broken and user wants to
> ensure that it is not because of one of the extensions akin to how
> Firefox has a safe made option. I wasn't referring to any specific bug.

rpm -e gnome-shell-extensions is such a mechanism.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/11/2011 08:38 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> rpm -e gnome-shell-extensions is such a mechanism.

If it was all packaged, then that might be a answer but I can already
see three or four randomly in various places. I suspect you will find a
need for something like this soon. I will leave it at that

Rahul

Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Peter Robinson

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 08:38 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>
>> rpm -e gnome-shell-extensions is such a mechanism.
>
> If it was all packaged, then that might be a answer but I can already
> see three or four randomly in various places. *I suspect you will find a
> need for something like this soon. *I will leave it at that

Agreed. This [1] is one example (not saying its a bad one - I've not
tested it) but I suspect there'll be a lot of people hacking up a lot
of random stuff, (I need to use pidgin as empathy has issues in that I
can't import all my logs and I use logs daily for various reasons).

Peter

http://blog.kagesenshi.org/2011/04/pidgin-and-gnome3.html

Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 23:36 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Agreed. This [1] is one example (not saying its a bad one - I've not
> tested it) but I suspect there'll be a lot of people hacking up a lot
> of random stuff, (I need to use pidgin as empathy has issues in that I
> can't import all my logs and I use logs daily for various reasons).

Up to the shell team to decide whether they want to add special support
for 'people hacking up a lot of random stuff'. I would half expect us to
break extensions in 3.2, just to prove the point that there is no
expectation of stability.