Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/)
-   -   fallback and safe modes (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/512539-fallback-safe-modes.html)

Rahul Sundaram 04-11-2011 12:44 AM

fallback and safe modes
 
Hi

If for some reason, fallback mode doesn' get activated or the default
interface is not working properly, would it be useful to have a option
to choose fallback mode in GDM itself? I recently ran into a issue
where GNOME Shell would launch but all the windows were black and hence
couldn't go to system settings and force fallback mode on. I traced
this problem due a upgrade issue eventually but in such situations,
ability to choose the mode right in the login screen is useful

Another option I think is needed is a safe mode which basically ignores
all the installed extensions. The reason is that, these GNOME Shell
extensions are essentially arbitrary javascript and if I install a bunch
of extensions and one of them has a bug, GNOME Shell basically gives up
and you can't login. Similar to Firefox, a safe mode might be handy to have

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Matthias Clasen 04-11-2011 01:30 PM

fallback and safe modes
 
On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 06:14 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Another option I think is needed is a safe mode which basically ignores
> all the installed extensions. The reason is that, these GNOME Shell
> extensions are essentially arbitrary javascript and if I install a bunch
> of extensions and one of them has a bug, GNOME Shell basically gives up
> and you can't login. Similar to Firefox, a safe mode might be handy to have

That is why we don't recommend installing extensions...
more seriously, 'one of them has a bug' is a little to generic to be
useful. What kind of problem did you encounter, and how did the shell
fail to work ?

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Rahul Sundaram 04-11-2011 02:04 PM

fallback and safe modes
 
On 04/11/2011 07:00 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> That is why we don't recommend installing extensions...
> more seriously, 'one of them has a bug' is a little to generic to be
> useful. What kind of problem did you encounter, and how did the shell
> fail to work ?

Perhaps it wasn't clear but I was talking about providing a generic
functionality that allows a user to quickly disable all extensions in
case one of them has a bug or something is broken and user wants to
ensure that it is not because of one of the extensions akin to how
Firefox has a safe made option. I wasn't referring to any specific bug.

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Rahul Sundaram 04-11-2011 02:04 PM

fallback and safe modes
 
On 04/11/2011 07:00 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> That is why we don't recommend installing extensions...
> more seriously, 'one of them has a bug' is a little to generic to be
> useful. What kind of problem did you encounter, and how did the shell
> fail to work ?

Perhaps it wasn't clear but I was talking about providing a generic
functionality that allows a user to quickly disable all extensions in
case one of them has a bug or something is broken and user wants to
ensure that it is not because of one of the extensions akin to how
Firefox has a safe made option. I wasn't referring to any specific bug.

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Matthias Clasen 04-11-2011 03:08 PM

fallback and safe modes
 
On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:34 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 07:00 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > That is why we don't recommend installing extensions...
> > more seriously, 'one of them has a bug' is a little to generic to be
> > useful. What kind of problem did you encounter, and how did the shell
> > fail to work ?
>
> Perhaps it wasn't clear but I was talking about providing a generic
> functionality that allows a user to quickly disable all extensions in
> case one of them has a bug or something is broken and user wants to
> ensure that it is not because of one of the extensions akin to how
> Firefox has a safe made option. I wasn't referring to any specific bug.

rpm -e gnome-shell-extensions is such a mechanism.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Rahul Sundaram 04-11-2011 08:20 PM

fallback and safe modes
 
On 04/11/2011 08:38 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> rpm -e gnome-shell-extensions is such a mechanism.

If it was all packaged, then that might be a answer but I can already
see three or four randomly in various places. I suspect you will find a
need for something like this soon. I will leave it at that

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Peter Robinson 04-11-2011 10:36 PM

fallback and safe modes
 
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 08:38 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>
>> rpm -e gnome-shell-extensions is such a mechanism.
>
> If it was all packaged, then that might be a answer but I can already
> see three or four randomly in various places. *I suspect you will find a
> need for something like this soon. *I will leave it at that

Agreed. This [1] is one example (not saying its a bad one - I've not
tested it) but I suspect there'll be a lot of people hacking up a lot
of random stuff, (I need to use pidgin as empathy has issues in that I
can't import all my logs and I use logs daily for various reasons).

Peter

http://blog.kagesenshi.org/2011/04/pidgin-and-gnome3.html
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop

Matthias Clasen 04-12-2011 04:59 PM

fallback and safe modes
 
On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 23:36 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Agreed. This [1] is one example (not saying its a bad one - I've not
> tested it) but I suspect there'll be a lot of people hacking up a lot
> of random stuff, (I need to use pidgin as empathy has issues in that I
> can't import all my logs and I use logs daily for various reasons).

Up to the shell team to decide whether they want to add special support
for 'people hacking up a lot of random stuff'. I would half expect us to
break extensions in 3.2, just to prove the point that there is no
expectation of stability.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.