Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Matthias Clasen

Default More Questions (was: Fedora 15 Questions)

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 16:11 -0400, Barry Fishman wrote:
> First thanks for the answers to my previous questions. Everything
> worked perfectly.
>
> 1) In gnome-shell, where is the "favorites" information placed?
>
> I can stick thing in favorites by selecting that when right clicking
> on the icon, but I cannot seem to see where that information gets
> stored under my home directory.
>
> There does not seem to be a way to set the properties of a favorite, and
> I need to set up some command line options. I was looking for an
> indirect way of doing this.
>
> Gnome2 had a desktop directory in which I could put *.desktop files,
> but gnome shell seems to ignore them, and trying to execute them
> just brings gedit up on them.
>
> I can create an executable script that exec's the application with the
> command line switches I want, which I can then move to favorites, but
> the resulting icont seem to just launch the original application without
> options.

gnome-shell stores its favorites in gsettings, as a list of desktop file
names:

gsettings get org.gnome.shell favorite-apps

should report something like
['mozilla-firefox.desktop', 'evolution.desktop', 'rhythmbox.desktop',
'shotwell.desktop', 'gnome-terminal.desktop', 'nautilus.desktop',
'xchat.desktop']

To add an item to this list, you can put a desktop file in
~/.local/share/applications, e.g. jhbuild.desktop, and then update the
list using

gsettings set org.gnome.shell favorite-apps
"['mozilla-firefox.desktop', 'evolution.desktop', 'rhythmbox.desktop',
'shotwell.desktop', 'gnome-terminal.desktop', 'nautilus.desktop',
'xchat.desktop', 'jhbuild.desktop']"