Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Barry Fishman

Default Fedora 15 Questions

I have been running Fedora 15 for a few weeks. I had not used Fedora
for a long time, and have some questions about what is going
on.

1) When I reboot the system the ntpd, httpd, and sshd daemons are not
running. I can start them easily by running the scripts in the
/etc/init.d directory. I understand that systemd is being used and
these scripts are probably not generally used. How to it get systemd to
include these processes at startup.

2) I can see using 'netstat -lt' that I have listening ports for
these servers (once I started them) as Foreign Address *:*. I can
access them locally, but I can not connect to them from my local
network. At first I thought it had something to do with SELinux,
but I am running it in permissive mode.

3) SELinux spits out all kinds of strange denied access messages like
(looking in the audit.log) like login wanting to execute /bin/bash. I
had to put SELinux in permissive mode in order to even login. I tried
shutting it off, but then I could not even boot the system. What is
going on? The only odd thing about my system that I can think of is
that the timestamps have gotten out of wack due to ntpd not starting up
and my clock drifting into way in the future.

Thank you.
--
Barry Fishman

Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Lennart Poettering

On Tue, 05.04.11 20:41, Barry Fishman (barry_fishman@acm.org) wrote:

> I have been running Fedora 15 for a few weeks. I had not used Fedora
> for a long time, and have some questions about what is going
> on.
>
> 1) When I reboot the system the ntpd, httpd, and sshd daemons are not
> running. I can start them easily by running the scripts in the
> /etc/init.d directory. I understand that systemd is being used and
> these scripts are probably not generally used. How to it get systemd to
> include these processes at startup.

systemctl enable ntpd.service httpd.service sshd.service

(though the traditional "chkconfig ntpd on ; chkconfig httpd on ;
chkconfig sshd on" will work too.

> 2) I can see using 'netstat -lt' that I have listening ports for
> these servers (once I started them) as Foreign Address *:*. I can
> access them locally, but I can not connect to them from my local
> network. At first I thought it had something to do with SELinux,
> but I am running it in permissive mode.

Stop your Firewall:

systemctl stop iptables.service

(or traditional: "service iptables stop")

> 3) SELinux spits out all kinds of strange denied access messages like
> (looking in the audit.log) like login wanting to execute /bin/bash. I
> had to put SELinux in permissive mode in order to even login. I tried
> shutting it off, but then I could not even boot the system. What is
> going on? The only odd thing about my system that I can think of is
> that the timestamps have gotten out of wack due to ntpd not starting up
> and my clock drifting into way in the future.

Use the newest selinux policy package from bodhi (3.9.16-12).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.