Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Mike Chambers

Default Where are my files?

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 15:26 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> So if you are in gnome-shell, how do you open a window of your home? We
> had 5 Fedora ambassadors there, all of them are package maintainers, we
> even had the German GNOME translation coordinator with us, but none of
> us was able to answer that question in an intuitive way. The only way we
> found was to use the search field. Is there no better way?
>
> One suggestion was to have a 'Places' tab besides 'Windows' and
> 'Applications' that includes the content of the old 'Places' menu. I
> guess it is already to late to implement this for F15, so what are we
> going to do? Can we at least have nautilus in the favorites?

Under Activities, isn't there a File Manager (nautilus)? Or are you
wanting something different?

If it is there, just right click on it and Add to Favorites

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Colin Walters

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:

> One suggestion was to have a 'Places' tab besides 'Windows' and
> 'Applications' that includes the content of the old 'Places' menu. I
> guess it is already to late to implement this for F15,

Finding and Reminding work will be in 3.2.

> so what are we
> going to do? Can we at least have nautilus in the favorites?

That's been the intent for some time, but the Fedora nautilus.spec
file broke it. Fix building:

Thanks for the reminder!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Julian Aloofi

Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 03/27/2011 01:26 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I have to admit it is not a really technical question and doesn't have
> much to do with development, but as the developers of gnome-shell are on
> this list, I'll ask my question here not only to get a reply but also to
> provide user feedback.
>
> We have been at Chemnitzer Linuxtage last weekend, one of the biggest
> community events in Germany. The audience ranges from newbies to real
> geeks.
>
> At the Fedora booth we had two Laptops to showcase the latest F15
> desktop. The most asked question - regardless of beginner or advanced
> user - was: "Where are my files?"
>
> So if you are in gnome-shell, how do you open a window of your home? We
> had 5 Fedora ambassadors there, all of them are package maintainers, we
> even had the German GNOME translation coordinator with us, but none of
> us was able to answer that question in an intuitive way. The only way we
> found was to use the search field. Is there no better way?
>
> One suggestion was to have a 'Places' tab besides 'Windows' and
> 'Applications' that includes the content of the old 'Places' menu. I
> guess it is already to late to implement this for F15, so what are we
> going to do? Can we at least have nautilus in the favorites?

I've had the same question thrown at me and after I pointed them out to
start "Files" the first thing they tried to do was do drag the "Folders"
they most used to the Favourites panel hence I think this could be
solved elegantly by adding the ability to add folders to "Favourites".

JBG

Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 03/28/2011 02:57 AM, Julian Aloofi wrote:

> For almost all users coming to Gnome Shell it will not be the natural
> thing to open the file manager program to manage their files.
> In most desktop environments this program is pretty well hidden, and
> people open folders, not the file manager. Gnome2 didn't even have it in
> the menus as far as I can see.

Usually you don't need the file manager to be prominent since you can
start navigating the file system right from the desktop, wither from the
Computer icon or from the folder shortcuts on your desktop.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Julian Aloofi

Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Colin Walters

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Julian Aloofi
<julian.fedoralists@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Exactly what I was trying to say. This is definitely missing now. Maybe
> it would be possible to bring desktop icons back until this is solved?

As I already replied, for GNOME 3 to access files, you start the Files
app, and it will be in the favorites list by default.

The reason it wasn't there by default was a bug, which is now fixed.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 03/28/2011 06:24 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Julian Aloofi
> <julian.fedoralists@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Exactly what I was trying to say. This is definitely missing now. Maybe
>> it would be possible to bring desktop icons back until this is solved?
> As I already replied, for GNOME 3 to access files, you start the Files
> app, and it will be in the favorites list by default.
>
> The reason it wasn't there by default was a bug, which is now fixed.

Will it be possible to just add folders to the favourite list as opposed
to the files application itself?

How is "Connect to server" and relevant bookmarks that user created
being solved?

JBG

Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Cosimo Cecchi

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 18:32 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:

> Will it be possible to just add folders to the favourite list as opposed
> to the files application itself?

No, this is not possible. A better integration of places and volumes in
the shell is in the 3.2 roadmap though.

> How is "Connect to server" and relevant bookmarks that user created
> being solved?

These are always available from both the file manager and using the
gnome-shell search.

Cosimo