Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Christoph Wickert

Default Where are my files?

I have to admit it is not a really technical question and doesn't have
much to do with development, but as the developers of gnome-shell are on
this list, I'll ask my question here not only to get a reply but also to
provide user feedback.

We have been at Chemnitzer Linuxtage last weekend, one of the biggest
community events in Germany. The audience ranges from newbies to real
geeks.

At the Fedora booth we had two Laptops to showcase the latest F15
desktop. The most asked question - regardless of beginner or advanced
user - was: "Where are my files?"

So if you are in gnome-shell, how do you open a window of your home? We
had 5 Fedora ambassadors there, all of them are package maintainers, we
even had the German GNOME translation coordinator with us, but none of
us was able to answer that question in an intuitive way. The only way we
found was to use the search field. Is there no better way?

One suggestion was to have a 'Places' tab besides 'Windows' and
'Applications' that includes the content of the old 'Places' menu. I
guess it is already to late to implement this for F15, so what are we
going to do? Can we at least have nautilus in the favorites?

Regards,
Christoph