Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Is there an easy way to keep running metacity instead of gnome-shell?

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 07:31:19 -0600,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> Now that gnome-panel is requiring gnome-shell, I can't just not install
> gnome-shell to continue running metacity. Is there an easy way to continue
> running metacity (maybe with gsettings)?

I found the information at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome3#Features

Currently the method is to edit
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session
and change IsRunnableHelper's value to /bin/false .

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 09:10 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 07:31:19 -0600,
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > Now that gnome-panel is requiring gnome-shell, I can't just not install
> > gnome-shell to continue running metacity. Is there an easy way to continue
> > running metacity (maybe with gsettings)?
>
> I found the information at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome3#Features
>
> Currently the method is to edit
> /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session
> and change IsRunnableHelper's value to /bin/false .

Yes, that still works. Once you update to the 2.91.91 that are currently
in updates-testing, there will also be a 'force fallback' switch in the
system info panel.