Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Christoph Wickert

Default Do we care about the GNOME 3 fallback mode?

Hi there,

I see there is a lot of change going on for gnome-shell but I hardly see
any improvements in the fallback mode. I expected the fallback to be the
classic desktop I know from GNOME 2.x, but compared to what we had in
F14 it is only a small piece and that is broken. Bugs filed against
these components don't seem to get any attention.

Do we care about the fallback mode? I think we should because it will be
the default for a lot of users. So is it worth filing bugs or to set up
a tracker bug or are you not going to have time to look after it anyway?

Regards,
Christoph

Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 23:55 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I see there is a lot of change going on for gnome-shell but I hardly see
> any improvements in the fallback mode. I expected the fallback to be the
> classic desktop I know from GNOME 2.x, but compared to what we had in
> F14 it is only a small piece and that is broken. Bugs filed against
> these components don't seem to get any attention.
>
> Do we care about the fallback mode? I think we should because it will be
> the default for a lot of users. So is it worth filing bugs or to set up
> a tracker bug or are you not going to have time to look after it anyway?

We do care about it.

You don't see many improvements there yet, because most of them are
still on Colins harddrive. But I have a suspicion that you will not view
many of them as actual improvements, since they are not about moving the
fallback mode closer to 2.x, but about moving the fallback mode closer
to 3.

Filing Fedora bugs about it may not be very effective. As you've
noticed, we simply cannot pay equal attention to two bugtracking
systems, and the upstream one is where most of the GNOME3-related bug
activity happens for GNOME components.

Matthias

Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Freitag, den 04.03.2011, 18:16 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 23:55 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I see there is a lot of change going on for gnome-shell but I hardly see
> > any improvements in the fallback mode. I expected the fallback to be the
> > classic desktop I know from GNOME 2.x, but compared to what we had in
> > F14 it is only a small piece and that is broken. Bugs filed against
> > these components don't seem to get any attention.
> >
> > Do we care about the fallback mode? I think we should because it will be
> > the default for a lot of users. So is it worth filing bugs or to set up
> > a tracker bug or are you not going to have time to look after it anyway?
>
> We do care about it.

Glad to hear that, Matthias!

> You don't see many improvements there yet, because most of them are
> still on Colins harddrive. But I have a suspicion that you will not view
> many of them as actual improvements, since they are not about moving the
> fallback mode closer to 2.x, but about moving the fallback mode closer
> to 3.

I'm not a GNOME user (any more) anyway, so I don't have religious
feelings for GNOME 2. I don't care what direction development takes but
I do care about Fedora and our users. I'd like us all to work together
in order to reduce the number of bugs and to bring back functionality in
order to make our users happy.

> Filing Fedora bugs about it may not be very effective. As you've
> noticed, we simply cannot pay equal attention to two bugtracking
> systems, and the upstream one is where most of the GNOME3-related bug
> activity happens for GNOME components.

There is a couple of reasons why I prefer bugzilla.redhat.com.
* Before I can file a bug at bugzilla.gnome.org I need to verify
that it is a GNOME and not a Fedora problem, means it must not
be related to packaging and not yet fixed in git. Unfortunately
I don't have time to build GNOME from source.
* Many of the problems we are dealing with are actually Fedora
problems. Theme settings or a broken launcher in gnome-panel are
not for GNOME bugzilla.
* One hardly gets *any* response in GNOME bugzilla. The developers
seem all busy with new and shiny stuff but not with fixing bugs
in released code. And if I get a response, it's from our
Fedora/Red Hat folks.
* I think we need to downstream bug reports to track things
efficiently. Tracker bugs, weekly blocker meetings and all that
require the bugs in to be in our bugzilla.

If GNOME developers are working on Fedora, IMHO it shouldn't make a
difference if I try to reach them via bugzilla.gnome.org or
bugzilla.redhat.com.

Regards,
Christoph

Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 18:16 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 23:55 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I see there is a lot of change going on for gnome-shell but I hardly see
> > any improvements in the fallback mode. I expected the fallback to be the
> > classic desktop I know from GNOME 2.x, but compared to what we had in
> > F14 it is only a small piece and that is broken. Bugs filed against
> > these components don't seem to get any attention.
> >
> > Do we care about the fallback mode? I think we should because it will be
> > the default for a lot of users. So is it worth filing bugs or to set up
> > a tracker bug or are you not going to have time to look after it anyway?
>
> We do care about it.
>
> You don't see many improvements there yet, because most of them are
> still on Colins harddrive.

Well - the current state in updates-testing is a lot better than what
was frozen for Alpha already.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey