Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

Default How do we change fonts now

Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
now. My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
to hurt.

TIA
OldFart

Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:55 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
> now. My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
> to hurt.

search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
"text size".

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Donnerstag, den 17.02.2011, 21:31 +0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:55 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> > Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
> > now. My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
> > to hurt.
>
> search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
> "text size".

So this is a system-wide setting??

Regards,
Christoph

Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM
drago01

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.02.2011, 21:31 +0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
>> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:55 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> > Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
>> > now. *My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
>> > to hurt.
>>
>> search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
>> "text size".
>
> So this is a system-wide setting??

No, "system settings" is what the panel is called, it has nothing to
do with "system wide"

Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

On 02/17/2011 04:31 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:55 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
>> now. My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
>> to hurt.
>
> search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
> "text size".

My eyes are grateful. Thanks. How do we change the font style now? I
tried changing themes in the gconf-editor but the changes didn't take.

OldFart

Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 17:56 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> On 02/17/2011 04:31 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:55 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> >> Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
> >> now. My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
> >> to hurt.
> >
> > search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
> > "text size".
> >

> My eyes are grateful. Thanks. How do we change the font style now?

Read the archives of this list, it's already been discussed.

> tried changing themes in the gconf-editor but the changes didn't take.

Try dconf-editor instead.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Alexander Larsson

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 23:03 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 17:56 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> > >
> > > search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
> > > "text size".
> > >

> > My eyes are grateful. Thanks. How do we change the font style now?
>
> Read the archives of this list, it's already been discussed.

> > tried changing themes in the gconf-editor but the changes didn't take.
>
> Try dconf-editor instead.

dconf-editor is a bit crashy for me at times, I usually use the
gsettings commandline app instead:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "clearlooks"

See gsettings help for other commands.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

On 02/18/2011 02:38 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 23:03 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Read the archives of this list, it's already been discussed.

>>> tried changing themes in the gconf-editor but the changes didn't take.
>>
>> Try dconf-editor instead.
>
> dconf-editor is a bit crashy for me at times, I usually use the
> gsettings commandline app instead:
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "clearlooks"
>
> See gsettings help for other commands.

Thank you very much for the useful reply. This has been quite an
adventure and I am sure there is more to come.

OldFart

Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Jonathan Corbet

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:31:41 +0000
Bastien Nocera <bnocera@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:55 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> > Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
> > now. My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
> > to hurt.
>
> search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
> "text size".

So I'm coming just a little late to this conversation...I found it through
trying to solve the same problem.

The "Universal Access" button is not where I would think to look for
ordinary system settings. But I went there, and found two options to make
the fonts bigger than they are now.

I don't want them bigger. They just *got* bigger through the occasional
(seemingly) mandatory forgetting of all my previous settings, to the point
that they take more screen space than I want. I want the fonts smaller.
How do I do that?

Seriously, can it be that a classic font selection dialog, like what we've
had since, well, forever, is too much for GNOME 3? I feel like I'm
missing something. We have different monitors, different needs, different
preferences; a single font selection will never work for everybody.
Please tell me this is coming back?

Thanks,

jon

Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM