Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Default Audio through HDMI

Anybody got any insight what the current status on supporting for Audio
through HDMI?

According to [1] it looks like it's supported but so far no go for me to
getting to work....

1.http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Changes_v1.0.18_v1.0.19

JBG

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 14:24 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> Anybody got any insight what the current status on supporting for Audio
> through HDMI?
>
> According to [1] it looks like it's supported but so far no go for me to
> getting to work....
>
> 1.http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Changes_v1.0.18_v1.0.19

This is probably not a discussion for the desktop list. FWIW, once
recognised, the HDMI output should just show up as another output in the
sound settings. That's what it does on my desktop at least.

Cheers

Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 02/06/2011 11:40 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> This is probably not a discussion for the desktop list. FWIW, once
> recognised, the HDMI output should just show up as another output in the
> sound settings. That's what it does on my desktop at least.

Good to know that it does work atleast for you which means it's
supported in Gnome which was the information I was more or less after.

Given the sleek look and feel of Gnome3/Gnome shell it finally makes
Gnome self a viable media alternative to MythTV XBMC etc I would not be
surprise to see proper media extensions to it ( or simply MythTV/XBMC
extension without or with specific Gnome shell theme cruff ) popping up
that hooks up to all those online media services that already exist hulu
netflix etc and any locally or network storage backends you might have.

So if as long as you are smart enough to buy you self a device
tablet/Notedbook/Desktop PC that has HDMI out port on it you can simply
plug a single HDMI cable from HDTV to your Gnome3/Gnome Shell powered
device and fire up the media extension start streaming content directly
from the web to you TV.

JBG

Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Lennart Poettering

On Fri, 04.02.11 14:24, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" (johannbg@gmail.com) wrote:

> Anybody got any insight what the current status on supporting for Audio
> through HDMI?
>
> According to [1] it looks like it's supported but so far no go for me to
> getting to work....
>
> 1.http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Changes_v1.0.18_v1.0.19

PA has been probing for HDMI audio for quite some time. So if ALSA
supports it for your card it should just work in PA. However, last time
i played around with this all these things were pretty much half-baked,
and any kind of more advanced nego (i.e. beyond mere PCM) doesn't really
exist.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.