-   -   New F15 Wallpaper and Idea for Easier defaults switching (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/484646-new-f15-wallpaper-idea-easier-defaults-switching.html)

Martin Sourada 02-03-2011 09:48 AM

New F15 Wallpaper and Idea for Easier defaults switching

Hi all,

The default wallpaper for F15 lovelock release is being packaged right
now (I'm awaiting adding it to git right now). It is a sort of
compromise [1] between what desktop folks wanted (use default gnome
wallpaper for desktop spin for f15) and many design folks wanted
(default wallpaper on default spin should be created by ourselves).

I'll let you know again when all the packages are in rawhide so you can
change the defaults.

Now I would like to present an idea how to handle the defaults in a
more efficient way. Since I'm not an expert in handling these in all
the desktops we ship your input would be very much welcome.

Let's start with GNOME since that is what I've been using till now:
Along with the virtual system-backgrounds-gnome provides also provide
a symlink (I propose /usr/share/backgrounds/default.xml) to the
intended default and set it to by system wide defaults. This way just
updating the wallpaper packages would also update the symlink and thus
the default background. Correct me if I'm wrong or need something more.
Of course you could override the system defaults for spins if needed.

Now for XFCE which I'm using now. I noticed that if I put an image
into /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops it will appear in the backgrounds
applet, so I created new -xfce subpackage (with system-backgrounds-xfce
virtual provides) to provide the wallpapers for xfce users. For easier
defaults I propose to create default.png symlink in the same directory
which you could then set as default. That way updating the wallpaper
packages would also update the default wallpaper. I have no idea how
defaults are handled in XFCE so this might not be the correct way to do
it, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

For KDE I'm thinking about symlinking the whole (currently) Lovelock
directory with images and wallpaper description to Default directory at
the same place (of course, provided by package with
system-backgrounds-kde virtual provides). Not sure if that would be all
that's needed or whether different procedure would be desirable. So
again, correct me if I'm wrong.

For LXDE I have not the slightest idea so any suggestions how to keep
handling the defaults limited to [release-name]-backgrounds* packages
is welcomed.

Thanks,
Martin

PS: I hope I CCed the right people, if not I apologize and if you know
of a better person/interest group suited for this discussion not CCed
yet, please forward the mail to them.

PPS: And sorry for cross posting it to both desktop design-team mailing
list, but I think both groups might have something to add to the
discussion.

Christoph Wickert 02-03-2011 04:19 PM

Am Donnerstag, den 03.02.2011, 11:48 +0100 schrieb Martin Sourada:

> Now for XFCE which I'm using now. I noticed that if I put an image
> into /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops it will appear in the backgrounds
> applet, so I created new -xfce subpackage (with system-backgrounds-xfce
> virtual provides) to provide the wallpapers for xfce users. For easier
> defaults I propose to create default.png symlink in the same directory
> which you could then set as default. That way updating the wallpaper
> packages would also update the default wallpaper. I have no idea how
> defaults are handled in XFCE so this might not be the correct way to do
> it, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

ATM we are patching xfdesktop to include
usr/share/backgrounds/default.png, but I think your idea is even better
because the way we do it currently sets the wallpaper but does not add
it to the list.

> For LXDE I have not the slightest idea so any suggestions how to keep
> handling the defaults limited to [release-name]-backgrounds* packages
> is welcomed.

lxde-common and lxdm als use usr/share/backgrounds/default.png. Just
like slim and some others. This means we still need
usr/share/backgrounds/default.png and the desktop-backgrounds-compat
package.

I am not sure if we need
[release-name]-backgrounds-[desktop-environment] packages. I suggest to
* do all of that in desktop-backgrounds-compat, it's just a few
symlinks
* build the desktop specific subpackages as part of
desktop-backgrounds rather than [release-name]-backgrounds. If
somebody has the packages of 2 different releases installed, the
subpackages will collide.

What do you think?

Regards,
Christoph