FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

Hey folks, just a quick note that I've put up the 'official'
announcement
of the first GNOME 3 Test Day:

http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/01/31/gnome-3-test-day-1-come-try-the-new-hotness/

If you can blog it (or dent it or tweet it or whatever the cool kids
are doing with the intarwebs nowadays) that would be really great -
especially if you can get it on aggregators, particularly Fedora and
GNOME Planets, and any news sites you know of.

Also huge thanks to John Palmieri, Christopher Aillon and David
Malcolm who fed me a huge set of test case ideas today at FUDCon -
I definitely have enough to make a really comprehensive set of tests
for the event. Right now the page still has the crappy initial set of
test cases, but I'll be writing up the ideas I got today and the ones
from Cosimo as test cases tonight and tomorrow, probably, and updating
the page to be way more awesome.

Of course, if you have any time on Thursday (whenever that is, in your
time zone) please come and drop by the IRC channel, and do some testing
or help out other testers or whatever you can, that would be really
helpful too. And please let me know if you have any suggestions or
corrections or ideas or anything for the event(s). thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 PM
"giallu@gmail.com"
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> *Hey folks, just a quick note that I've put up the 'official'
> *announcement
> *of the first GNOME 3 Test Day:
>
> *http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/01/31/gnome-3-test-day-1-come-try-the-new-hotness/
>
> *If you can blog it (or dent it or tweet it or whatever the cool kids
> *are doing with the intarwebs nowadays) that would be really great -
> *especially if you can get it on aggregators, particularly Fedora and
> *GNOME Planets, and any news sites you know of.
>

Thanks Adam, I repeated the news in my (italian) blog, should show on
planet in the the next few hours.

I'll take care of spreading it further in the Italian community sites I follow


--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 14:47 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey folks, just a quick note that I've put up the 'official'
> announcement
> of the first GNOME 3 Test Day:
>
> http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/01/31/gnome-3-test-day-1-come-try-the-new-hotness/

Hey Adam, thanks so much for putting this together!

Here's the deal: I'd love to get most of GNOME 2.91.6 in for this, since
it will give us a much more complete experience than what is in rawhide
now, but...I'm not sure I can get it all built before Thursday. A
complicating factor is that there is a GTK+ abi change in there, so I'll
have to get everything depending on gtk3 rebuilt in one piece; and there
may be a few dependencies of the new gtk3-ported gnome-panel that have
not been packaged yet.

So I guess I'll start building 2.91.6 in the dist-f15-gnome3 tag and
we'll see how far I get before tomorrow ends.


Matthias

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Adam Williamson
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 21:08 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 14:47 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hey folks, just a quick note that I've put up the 'official'
> > announcement
> > of the first GNOME 3 Test Day:
> >
> > http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/01/31/gnome-3-test-day-1-come-try-the-new-hotness/
>
> Hey Adam, thanks so much for putting this together!
>
> Here's the deal: I'd love to get most of GNOME 2.91.6 in for this, since
> it will give us a much more complete experience than what is in rawhide
> now, but...I'm not sure I can get it all built before Thursday. A
> complicating factor is that there is a GTK+ abi change in there, so I'll
> have to get everything depending on gtk3 rebuilt in one piece; and there
> may be a few dependencies of the new gtk3-ported gnome-panel that have
> not been packaged yet.
>
> So I guess I'll start building 2.91.6 in the dist-f15-gnome3 tag and
> we'll see how far I get before tomorrow ends.

Ah - if I'd've known a couple of days ago we could have changed the
date, but I've sent announcements out to quite a few places now so I
think we're locked in. The good news is we can do custom live spins for
the test day, so even if you can't get it done in time for the nightly
builds, we can fire off some custom builds. I am ridiculously tired
right now but I'll be in IRC tomorrow, I'll join GIMPnet so I can come
in the desktop channel in case you need to sync up with me. I can help
do some builds if that would be any use. Just let me know! Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On 02/02/2011 07:01 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Ah - if I'd've known a couple of days ago we could have changed the
> date, but I've sent announcements out to quite a few places now so I
> think we're locked in. The good news is we can do custom live spins for
> the test day, so even if you can't get it done in time for the nightly
> builds, we can fire off some custom builds. I am ridiculously tired
> right now but I'll be in IRC tomorrow, I'll join GIMPnet so I can come
> in the desktop channel in case you need to sync up with me. I can help
> do some builds if that would be any use. Just let me know! Thanks.

Have the installation issues been cleaned out?

JBG
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 09:15:47 +0000,
""Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"" <johannbg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 07:01 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Ah - if I'd've known a couple of days ago we could have changed the
> > date, but I've sent announcements out to quite a few places now so I
> > think we're locked in. The good news is we can do custom live spins for
> > the test day, so even if you can't get it done in time for the nightly
> > builds, we can fire off some custom builds. I am ridiculously tired
> > right now but I'll be in IRC tomorrow, I'll join GIMPnet so I can come
> > in the desktop channel in case you need to sync up with me. I can help
> > do some builds if that would be any use. Just let me know! Thanks.
>
> Have the installation issues been cleaned out?

I don't think we have figured that bug out yet. However, the impact on
gnome3 testing show be low. People can test gnome3 from the liveimage
or do a network install using the boot.iso image if they really want.
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 09:15 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 07:01 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Ah - if I'd've known a couple of days ago we could have changed the
> > date, but I've sent announcements out to quite a few places now so I
> > think we're locked in. The good news is we can do custom live spins for
> > the test day, so even if you can't get it done in time for the nightly
> > builds, we can fire off some custom builds. I am ridiculously tired
> > right now but I'll be in IRC tomorrow, I'll join GIMPnet so I can come
> > in the desktop channel in case you need to sync up with me. I can help
> > do some builds if that would be any use. Just let me know! Thanks.
>
> Have the installation issues been cleaned out?

I don't know. as Bruno said, the intention is for the testing to be
possible (almost) entirely without installation, and that should be the
case.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 05:07 PM
peter_someone
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

Am 2011-02-02 18:00, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 09:15 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
>> On 02/02/2011 07:01 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> Ah - if I'd've known a couple of days ago we could have changed the
>>> date, but I've sent announcements out to quite a few places now so I
>>> think we're locked in. The good news is we can do custom live spins for
>>> the test day, so even if you can't get it done in time for the nightly
>>> builds, we can fire off some custom builds. I am ridiculously tired
>>> right now but I'll be in IRC tomorrow, I'll join GIMPnet so I can come
>>> in the desktop channel in case you need to sync up with me. I can help
>>> do some builds if that would be any use. Just let me know! Thanks.
>> Have the installation issues been cleaned out?
> I don't know. as Bruno said, the intention is for the testing to be
> possible (almost) entirely without installation, and that should be the
> case.
Sill, I guess, a lot of potential testers might be put off by not being
able to install
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:47:14 +0000,
""Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"" <johannbg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We also need to have any updates to current packages present as updates
> tomorrow and not just be on specifically composed test day LiveCD to
> prevent/reduce any duplication and reports of bugs that may already be
> fixed it's always better that reporters are testing as close to the same
> bits..

The desktop spin did not build again today for the nightly composes.
The one I am running at home looks like it will build. So there is some
hope for tomorrow. Note that the latest set of builds are being done on
a rawhide machine which might impact the install to disk problem. I'm getting
the KDA spin from the nightlies to see if the problem is fixed there.
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default GNOME 3 Test Day #1: announcement up

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 18:47 +0000, "J├│hann B. Gu├░mundsson" wrote:

> >> Have the installation issues been cleaned out?

> > I don't know. as Bruno said, the intention is for the testing to be
> > possible (almost) entirely without installation, and that should be the
> > case.
>
> Of course those that are using USB Flash drive can create one with
> persistent storage to get a closer to actual install behaviour but we
> loose any early Gnome Shell adopters which might shed light on some
> usage bugs that the test case don't cover which you only find by an
> actual usage.

Sure. There's nothing we can do about that as the desktop team / QA
team, though. Really all you're saying is 'I wish the anaconda team
would fix the installer faster', it has nothing in particular to do with
this test day or with GNOME in general.

> I'm pretty sure alot of bugs filed against Gnome components will be
> related to UI Designs decisions rather than actual code breakage by
> reporters

I have added several warnings to the Wiki page to try and avoid this,
take a look.

> for instance somehow the UI Designers forgot all about those
> that close the lid and leave the computer on for download or are forced
> to close the lid in class when the teacher or professors ask them too
> and then need to get immediately back on to type something down thus
> cant wait for suspend/resume time/breakage which is a *Design feature*
> as Richard mention on his blog "In GNOME 3.0, weÔÇÖre defaulting to
> suspending the computer when the user shuts the lid, and not providing
> any preferences combobox to change this. This is what the UI designers
> for GNOME 3.0 want " I for example would file a bug against this.

Please start a new thread about this, I'd rather not derail the test day
discussion. (FWIW, I agree with you to a degree: I do not want to
suspend my laptop when it's plugged into the mains and I close the
screen. I just do it to keep things tidy on my desk, and to turn off the
panel to save a bit of power and not uselessly run the panel and reduce
its lifespan and potentially cause screen burn. You will be able to
configure this from dconf, though, I'm guessing. I'd say it'd be
perfectly legitimate for people to file a bug on this, actually. I don't
think the design has been well thought through, if it applies when on AC
as well as when on battery power.)

> Another example of a potential bug or a *Design feature* is when you go
> to system settings --> User Account and you create a new user and are
> forced to choose the login name for the user from a list of user names
> based on the full name you enter for the user or is this an actual bug
> that you cannot type whatever username you like for the user? Bug vs
> Design battle. .. .

As I advise on the page, the best thing to do is ask in IRC before
filing a bug; I'm hoping there will be a few GNOME devs around all day
to help answer such questions. (If you're a Fedora / GNOME dev on this
list, please do try and find some time to hang out in the channel to
help with this, it'd be really useful!)

> Anyway back on track we might want to downgrade smolt since it's not
> working due to bug 672971 that is if smolt profile is needed ( which I
> expect to )

I've fixed this (applied jlaska's fix and pushed a fixed build through
to Rawhide), so it should make the test day image.

> another thing was mentioned on our QA IRC from a reporter
> was a lack of IRC client in current Gnome Live but I think the reporter
> did not realize that you can do irc with empathy.

Yup.

> Reporters have already begun jump starting the test day
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha#cite_note-11
> and reported some early birds bugs.

Indeed, which is great, but I hope they all come back and test again
when the full test case set is up!

I've written two new test cases so far:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_generic_video_glx
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_gnome-shell_favorites

and am working on the others. If anyone wants to help out, please do: my
scratch list of test cases to work on is http://fpaste.org/N8si/ .
please just find me on IRC to co-ordinate and make sure we don't
duplicate effort, and the test cases are clean and added correctly to
the test day page. thanks!

> We also need to have any updates to current packages present as updates
> tomorrow and not just be on specifically composed test day LiveCD to
> prevent/reduce any duplication and reports of bugs that may already be
> fixed it's always better that reporters are testing as close to the same
> bits..

yup, that's below getting the live image right on my priority list,
though - I anticipate most people will test using the live image, it's
usually the case, especially before we have an Alpha out. I'll try and
have instructions on the page for installing all necessary updates that
don't make it into tonight's Rawhide compose.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ę2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org