FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"
 
Default Gnome Shell

I just got 2 minor usage issues

How to I go about adding something to the top panel?

I'm used to have "System Monitor" Displaying various resource usage up
there ( cpu memory network swap space etc )

How do I create a custom launcher which I can then add to "Favourites"
or any of the menus ( Accessories, Games etc )?

JBG
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
drago01
 
Default Gnome Shell

2011/1/28 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
> I just got 2 minor usage issues
>
> How to I go about adding something to the top panel?

You don't, panel-applets are no longer supported (and aren't part of
the design).

> I'm used to have "System Monitor" Displaying various resource usage up
> there ( cpu memory network swap space etc )

Stuff like this is supposed to be done via extensions (similar to
firefox extension), there is a system monitor extension in the
gnome-shell-extensions git repo.

> How do I create a custom launcher which I can then add to "Favourites"
> or any of the menus ( Accessories, Games etc )?

There is no UI for custom launchers, you'd have to dump them in
.local/share/applications (the .desktop files)
as for adding stuff out of the menus just go to "Applications" and
either drag the icon to the dash (the dock on the left)
or use "Rightclick -> Add to Favorites"
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"
 
Default Gnome Shell

On 01/28/2011 11:40 AM, drago01 wrote:
> Stuff like this is supposed to be done via extensions (similar to
> firefox extension), there is a system monitor extension in the
> gnome-shell-extensions git repo.

Like the idea of extensions however not seeing system monitor extension
here..

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions

And Gnome Shell extension need to be click able to install and or
searchable through some configuration front end to Gnome Shell like when
you install wordpress plugins or choose and Add on in Firefox

Making novice end users go through hops like this "./autogen.sh
--prefix=$HOME/.local --enable-extensions="one two three" make install"
will never make "Extensions" reach it full potentials..

JBG

1. http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions
2. http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/LookingGlass
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
drago01
 
Default Gnome Shell

2011/1/28 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
> On 01/28/2011 11:40 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> Stuff like this is supposed to be done via extensions (similar to
>> firefox extension), there is a system monitor extension in the
>> gnome-shell-extensions git repo.
>
> Like the idea of extensions however not seeing system monitor extension
> here..
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions

Seems like the patch has not landed yet see
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=634080

> And Gnome Shell extension need to be click able to install and or
> searchable through some configuration front end to Gnome Shell like when
> you install wordpress plugins or choose and Add on in Firefox
>
> Making novice end users go through hops like this "./autogen.sh
> --prefix=$HOME/.local --enable-extensions="one two three" make install"
> will never make "Extensions" reach it full potentials..

Sure we are not there yet and I don't expect the extension experience
to be at that level for 3.0 (i.e 3.2 material).
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Chuck Anderson
 
Default Gnome Shell

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 02:18:00PM +0100, drago01 wrote:
> 2011/1/28 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
> > On 01/28/2011 11:40 AM, drago01 wrote:
> >> Stuff like this is supposed to be done via extensions (similar to
> >> firefox extension), there is a system monitor extension in the
> >> gnome-shell-extensions git repo.
> >
> > Like the idea of extensions however not seeing system monitor extension
> > here..
> >
> > http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions
>
> Seems like the patch has not landed yet see
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=634080
>
> > And Gnome Shell extension need to be click able to install and or
> > searchable through some configuration front end to Gnome Shell like when
> > you install wordpress plugins or choose and Add on in Firefox
> >
> > Making novice end users go through hops like this "./autogen.sh
> > --prefix=$HOME/.local --enable-extensions="one two three" make install"
> > will never make "Extensions" reach it full potentials..
>
> Sure we are not there yet and I don't expect the extension experience
> to be at that level for 3.0 (i.e 3.2 material).

If we are not there yet, then why don't we wait until F16 for Gnome
3/Gnome Shell? I see this as being exactly the same as the situation
was with systemd--it wasn't polished in time for F14, so it had to
wait until F15. Why should Gnome be any different? Why should the
users have to put up with a half-baked user experience for F15?
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Gnome Shell

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:20 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:

>
> If we are not there yet, then why don't we wait until F16 for Gnome
> 3/Gnome Shell? I see this as being exactly the same as the situation
> was with systemd--it wasn't polished in time for F14, so it had to
> wait until F15. Why should Gnome be any different? Why should the
> users have to put up with a half-baked user experience for F15?

Lack of extensions != half-baked user experience. GNOME 3 will give you
a fully baked, crip user experience without extensions...

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Chuck Anderson
 
Default Gnome Shell

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:27:43AM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:20 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>
> >
> > If we are not there yet, then why don't we wait until F16 for Gnome
> > 3/Gnome Shell? I see this as being exactly the same as the situation
> > was with systemd--it wasn't polished in time for F14, so it had to
> > wait until F15. Why should Gnome be any different? Why should the
> > users have to put up with a half-baked user experience for F15?
>
> Lack of extensions != half-baked user experience. GNOME 3 will give you
> a fully baked, crip user experience without extensions...

Thanks, good to know. Sorry for my scepticism. Now that you've reset
my expectations, I'll try it out during the Test Days to make sure
there are no regressions in user experience & capabilities compared to
gnome-panel/nautilus and Gnome 2.
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"
 
Default Gnome Shell

On 01/28/2011 02:41 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:27:43AM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:20 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> If we are not there yet, then why don't we wait until F16 for Gnome
>>> 3/Gnome Shell? I see this as being exactly the same as the situation
>>> was with systemd--it wasn't polished in time for F14, so it had to
>>> wait until F15. Why should Gnome be any different? Why should the
>>> users have to put up with a half-baked user experience for F15?

This is a valid point and FESCO should be consistent and treat things
equally within the project one of the point that made against systemd
was lack of documentation I don't see why this should be treated any
differently.

Given that this is the so called "Default" and affects significant
portion of the Fedora's existing user base this needs to be in pristine
contention before pushed out.

>> Lack of extensions != half-baked user experience. GNOME 3 will give you
>> a fully baked, crip user experience without extensions...

No it will give users a fully baked cip user experience if users where
used to using "Gnome Applets" and an equal "extensions" is missing

How about Gnome Theme-ing support where does it stand alot of users like
to custom their look and feel?

> Thanks, good to know. Sorry for my scepticism. Now that you've reset
> my expectations, I'll try it out during the Test Days to make sure
> there are no regressions in user experience& capabilities compared to
> gnome-panel/nautilus and Gnome 2.

Well as has been mentioned a simple way for users to create custom
launcher is lacking in Gnome Shell.

JBG
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Gnome Shell

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:41 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:27:43AM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:20 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > If we are not there yet, then why don't we wait until F16 for Gnome
> > > 3/Gnome Shell? I see this as being exactly the same as the situation
> > > was with systemd--it wasn't polished in time for F14, so it had to
> > > wait until F15. Why should Gnome be any different? Why should the
> > > users have to put up with a half-baked user experience for F15?
> >
> > Lack of extensions != half-baked user experience. GNOME 3 will give you
> > a fully baked, crip user experience without extensions...
>
> Thanks, good to know. Sorry for my scepticism. Now that you've reset
> my expectations, I'll try it out during the Test Days to make sure
> there are no regressions in user experience & capabilities compared to
> gnome-panel/nautilus and Gnome 2.

Let me reset your expectations some more.

There will be big changes in the user experience - thats the whole
reason why we are working very hard to get GNOME3 done. And some of
these changes will certainly be perceived as regressions by some people
- if you have had your stock ticker in the upper right corner for 10
years, then that is a very understandable reaction to decry the
disappearance of applets.

What you should expect from GNOME 3.0 as a user is a fully functional
desktop. What you should expect from it as a developer is a good
platform to build on for 3.2 and so on.

But a feature-by-feature and per-ui-detail comparison of GNOME 2.32 and
3.0 does not really make sense. The difference in the minor version
numbers should make clear: GNOME 2 has had 16 revisions to build up UI
details and features; GNOME 3 is just starting out.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ę2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org