Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Adam Williamson

Default First GNOME 3 Test Day coming up next week: really need help creating test cases

Hey, everyone! Just a reminder that the first GNOME 3 Test Day is coming
next Thursday. I have the page up at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha , but
what we're really missing is good test cases; for now I've filled in
some of the standard desktop validation tests, and I'll update a few of
the others to match GNOME 3's mechanics and add those too, but it'd
really help to have some more specific test cases for whatever the
desktop team considers really important to test. If you don't want to
work out the details of writing full test cases, just quick one- or two-
liner suggestions in reply to this mail is fine; I can do the work of
fleshing them out into test cases, I just need suggestions of the most
important things we need to test at this stage.

thanks a lot!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Cosimo Cecchi

Hi Adam,

> Hey, everyone! Just a reminder that the first GNOME 3 Test Day is coming
> next Thursday. I have the page up at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha , but
> what we're really missing is good test cases; for now I've filled in
> some of the standard desktop validation tests, and I'll update a few of
> the others to match GNOME 3's mechanics and add those too, but it'd
> really help to have some more specific test cases for whatever the
> desktop team considers really important to test. If you don't want to
> work out the details of writing full test cases, just quick one- or two-
> liner suggestions in reply to this mail is fine; I can do the work of
> fleshing them out into test cases, I just need suggestions of the most
> important things we need to test at this stage.

Some thoughts from a quick skimming of the wiki page and the test cases:
- the volume control applet is now launched with 'gnome-control-center
sound', and not 'gnome-volume-control'.
- the desktop menus test case needs to be updated for GNOME Shell (you
probably already know that)

As for new test cases, I think it'd be nice to bulletproof some of the
more stable shell/control-center user interfaces at this stage...here's
a brief list of ideas:
- bluetooth: try connecting to a device and sending/receiving files from
it, using the system indicator provided by GNOME Shell
- background: try changing desktop background from the control center
widget, possibly covering all the fill options
- date and time: try changing date/clock time and timezone, and make
sure the shell picks up the changes correctly
- display: verify that dual monitor configurations work correctly with
the shell and the options provided by the control-center Display widget
work fine
- chat: make sure the shell-provided "inline" chat notifications work as
expected

Regards,

Cosimo

Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Adam Williamson

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 19:49 -0500, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 14:59 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hey, everyone! Just a reminder that the first GNOME 3 Test Day is coming
> > next Thursday. I have the page up at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha , but
> > what we're really missing is good test cases; for now I've filled in
> > some of the standard desktop validation tests, and I'll update a few of
> > the others to match GNOME 3's mechanics and add those too, but it'd
> > really help to have some more specific test cases for whatever the
> > desktop team considers really important to test. If you don't want to
> > work out the details of writing full test cases, just quick one- or two-
> > liner suggestions in reply to this mail is fine; I can do the work of
> > fleshing them out into test cases, I just need suggestions of the most
> > important things we need to test at this stage.
>
> Some thoughts from a quick skimming of the wiki page and the test cases:
> - the volume control applet is now launched with 'gnome-control-center
> sound', and not 'gnome-volume-control'.
> - the desktop menus test case needs to be updated for GNOME Shell (you
> probably already know that)
>
> As for new test cases, I think it'd be nice to bulletproof some of the
> more stable shell/control-center user interfaces at this stage...here's
> a brief list of ideas:
> - bluetooth: try connecting to a device and sending/receiving files from
> it, using the system indicator provided by GNOME Shell
> - background: try changing desktop background from the control center
> widget, possibly covering all the fill options
> - date and time: try changing date/clock time and timezone, and make
> sure the shell picks up the changes correctly
> - display: verify that dual monitor configurations work correctly with
> the shell and the options provided by the control-center Display widget
> work fine
> - chat: make sure the shell-provided "inline" chat notifications work as
> expected
>
> Regards,

Awesome stuff Cosimo! Thank you very much. I will likely work on some of
this stuff at FUDCon. Keep the suggestions coming everyone
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 01/27/2011 10:59 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, everyone! Just a reminder that the first GNOME 3 Test Day is coming
> next Thursday. I have the page up at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha , but
> what we're really missing is good test cases; for now I've filled in
> some of the standard desktop validation tests, and I'll update a few of
> the others to match GNOME 3's mechanics and add those too, but it'd
> really help to have some more specific test cases for whatever the
> desktop team considers really important to test. If you don't want to
> work out the details of writing full test cases, just quick one- or two-
> liner suggestions in reply to this mail is fine; I can do the work of
> fleshing them out into test cases, I just need suggestions of the most
> important things we need to test at this stage.
>
> thanks a lot!

We might want to make sure users actually can install it first and that
means testing on a real hardware.

The good news are that I can finally boot into the desktop live image
desktop-i386-20110126.16.iso
( contains kernel which has disable TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE )

The bad..

Trying to run liveinst or anaconda fails ( 3 bugs filed )

Out of curiosity how do you expect users to set their preferences in
Gnome Shell I could not find an easy way to access it so I ended up
opening up a terminal to set my keyboard layout.

JBG

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
drago01

2011/1/28 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
>> Hey, everyone! Just a reminder that the first GNOME 3 Test Day is coming
>> next Thursday. I have the page up at
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha , but
>> what we're really missing is good test cases; for now I've filled in
>> some of the standard desktop validation tests, and I'll update a few of
>> the others to match GNOME 3's mechanics and add those too, but it'd
>> really help to have some more specific test cases for whatever the
>> desktop team considers really important to test. If you don't want to
>> work out the details of writing full test cases, just quick one- or two-
>> liner suggestions in reply to this mail is fine; I can do the work of
>> fleshing them out into test cases, I just need suggestions of the most
>> important things we need to test at this stage.
>>
>> thanks a lot!
>
> We might want to make sure users actually can install it first and that
> means testing on a real hardware.
>
> The good news are that I can finally boot into the desktop live image
> desktop-i386-20110126.16.iso
> ( contains kernel which has disable TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE )
>
> The bad..
>
> Trying to run liveinst or anaconda fails ( 3 bugs filed )
>
> Out of curiosity how do you expect users to set their preferences in
> Gnome Shell I could not find an easy way to access it so I ended up
> opening up a terminal to set my keyboard layout.

Click on your name in the upper right, and select "System Setting".

Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 01/28/2011 08:28 AM, drago01 wrote:
> Click on your name in the upper right, and select "System Setting".

Does not help much in my case since "Keyboard" does not offer me
keyboard layout to choose from just General and Shortcuts but good to
know where it supposed to be set

JBG

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
"giallu@gmail.com"

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Cosimo Cecchi <ccecchi@redhat.com> wrote:
> - bluetooth: try connecting to a device and sending/receiving files from
> it, using the system indicator provided by GNOME Shell

Can we also add: adding and using a network connection with PAN and/or DUN?

> - display: verify that dual monitor configurations work correctly with
> the shell and the options provided by the control-center Display widget
> work fine

It's probably just my NVIDIA weird chipset, but dual monitor + suspend
often results in non functional display on wake-up. Not sure this is a
potential test case material though.

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM
drago01

2011/1/28 "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
> On 01/28/2011 08:28 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> Click on your name in the upper right, and select "System Setting".
>
> Does not help much in my case since "Keyboard" does not offer me
> keyboard layout to choose from just General and Shortcuts but good to
> know where it supposed to be set

It is in the region capplet, not the keyboard one.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 01/28/2011 10:03 AM, drago01 wrote:
> It is in the region capplet, not the keyboard one.

I do believe changes like these needs to be documented in the release notes

JBG

Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 10:09 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> On 01/28/2011 10:03 AM, drago01 wrote:
> > It is in the region capplet, not the keyboard one.
>
> I do believe changes like these needs to be documented in the release notes

Then go do it.