FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Gnote and GNOME Shell

Hi

Gnote was one of the default icons in the GNOME Panel and in GNOME
Shell, the sidebar doesn't have it and it seems that starting it
manually puts it in the bottom (message tray?). How do I make it start
by default and what is the recommendation for it to integrate with GNOME
Shell properly? It seems that in the overview mode, sometimes the icons
are not easy or impossible to click (applicable to Gnote, Xchat etc) Is
it intended design that it be visible only in the overview mode?

Also, Gnote package includes the applet. Should this be split up from
Gnote and not installed by default since GNOME Shell doesn't support
applets?

Rahul
--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Gnote and GNOME Shell

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 05:39 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> Gnote was one of the default icons in the GNOME Panel and in GNOME
> Shell, the sidebar doesn't have it and it seems that starting it
> manually puts it in the bottom (message tray?). How do I make it start
> by default and what is the recommendation for it to integrate with GNOME
> Shell properly? It seems that in the overview mode, sometimes the icons
> are not easy or impossible to click (applicable to Gnote, Xchat etc) Is
> it intended design that it be visible only in the overview mode?

I'll ask Jon to give his thoughts too, but I think the basic
recommendations are

- don't use a statusicon
- make it a real application
- don't start it by default
- integrate the hotkeys properly with the control-center key bindings
- arrange for gnote to be activated when the keybindings are used

> Also, Gnote package includes the applet. Should this be split up from
> Gnote and not installed by default since GNOME Shell doesn't support
> applets?

I think we probably don't need the applet anymore, even in fallback
mode.

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Gnote and GNOME Shell

On 01/24/2011 08:06 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> I'll ask Jon to give his thoughts too, but I think the basic
> recommendations are
>
> - don't use a statusicon
> - make it a real application
> - don't start it by default
> - integrate the hotkeys properly with the control-center key bindings
> - arrange for gnote to be activated when the keybindings are used
Thanks for that. Filed a note upstream at
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=640430
> Also, Gnote package includes the applet. Should this be split up from
> Gnote and not installed by default since GNOME Shell doesn't support
> applets?
> I think we probably don't need the applet anymore, even in fallback
> mode.

I think I can continue including the applet as long as it is supported
in the fallback mode. I expect there will considerable users of it for
systems that don't support GNOME Shell or out of preference. I will
look into splitting it up for the time being.

Rahul

--
desktop mailing list
desktop@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org