Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Adam Williamson

Default GNOME 3 Test Days

Hey, folks. So I've been doing some preliminary thinking about testing
GNOME 3 for F15; obviously it's one of the most significant and
potentially disruptive changes.

My preliminary idea is that there are possibly two different areas to
cover with test days: the Shell, and everything else. I think we can
focus on the Shell as one topic, and then on testing other apps in the
GNOME 3 environment as another; running them and making sure they work
and all expected operations are possible and covering potential issues
with GTK 3 and gsettings and so on.

We could (and probably should) run multiple test days on each topic;
maybe two or three for each.

What does everyone think of this as a general plan? When do you think it
would be best to start up with Test Days? My feeling with Rawhide right
now is that's probably too messy to get useful feedback from Test Days
yet; maybe shortly post-Alpha would be a good time to start up. But you
might have better ideas of when things should be present in at least
basically-working form. Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-26-2010, 07:55 PM
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"

On 11/26/2010 08:49 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, folks. So I've been doing some preliminary thinking about testing
> GNOME 3 for F15; obviously it's one of the most significant and
> potentially disruptive changes.
>
> My preliminary idea is that there are possibly two different areas to
> cover with test days: the Shell, and everything else. I think we can
> focus on the Shell as one topic, and then on testing other apps in the
> GNOME 3 environment as another; running them and making sure they work
> and all expected operations are possible and covering potential issues
> with GTK 3 and gsettings and so on.
>
> We could (and probably should) run multiple test days on each topic;
> maybe two or three for each.
>
> What does everyone think of this as a general plan? When do you think it
> would be best to start up with Test Days? My feeling with Rawhide right
> now is that's probably too messy to get useful feedback from Test Days
> yet; maybe shortly post-Alpha would be a good time to start up. But you
> might have better ideas of when things should be present in at least
> basically-working form. Thanks!

Are the graphics drivers ( ati nouveaou intel ) ready for gnome-shell?

If so is not best to wait until after alpha to test it?

JBG

Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 20:55 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> Are the graphics drivers ( ati nouveaou intel ) ready for gnome-shell?
>
> If so is not best to wait until after alpha to test it?

They're probably working enough to make testing feasible, but I don't
think we have comprehensive data. I know it doesn't work on my desktop,
whereas it did in F14. I've poked Ben about this a bit, but not much
yet.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Owen Taylor

> Hey, folks. So I've been doing some preliminary thinking about testing
> GNOME 3 for F15; obviously it's one of the most significant and
> potentially disruptive changes.
>
> My preliminary idea is that there are possibly two different areas to
> cover with test days: the Shell, and everything else. I think we can
> focus on the Shell as one topic, and then on testing other apps in the
> GNOME 3 environment as another; running them and making sure they work
> and all expected operations are possible and covering potential issues
> with GTK 3 and gsettings and so on.
>
> We could (and probably should) run multiple test days on each topic;
> maybe two or three for each.
>
> What does everyone think of this as a general plan? When do you think it
> would be best to start up with Test Days? My feeling with Rawhide right
> now is that's probably too messy to get useful feedback from Test Days
> yet; maybe shortly post-Alpha would be a good time to start up. But you
> might have better ideas of when things should be present in at least
> basically-working form. Thanks!

One thing I talked about with the graphics team was moving up the
graphics tests days and concentrating on the composited GNOME 3
experience for them.

- Owen

Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 22:38 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> One thing I talked about with the graphics team was moving up the
> graphics tests days and concentrating on the composited GNOME 3
> experience for them.

yeah, that's certainly one element we should cover; I was already
planning to add that to the tests for the X days. you're right that it
would probably be good to move them a bit earlier too.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Adam Miller

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:49:25PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, folks. So I've been doing some preliminary thinking about testing
> GNOME 3 for F15; obviously it's one of the most significant and
> potentially disruptive changes.
>
> My preliminary idea is that there are possibly two different areas to
> cover with test days: the Shell, and everything else. I think we can
> focus on the Shell as one topic, and then on testing other apps in the
> GNOME 3 environment as another; running them and making sure they work
> and all expected operations are possible and covering potential issues
> with GTK 3 and gsettings and so on.
>
> We could (and probably should) run multiple test days on each topic;
> maybe two or three for each.
>
> What does everyone think of this as a general plan? When do you think it
> would be best to start up with Test Days? My feeling with Rawhide right
> now is that's probably too messy to get useful feedback from Test Days
> yet; maybe shortly post-Alpha would be a good time to start up. But you
> might have better ideas of when things should be present in at least
> basically-working form. Thanks!
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net

This might be a horrible noob question since I've been out of the loop
for almost all of the F14 cycle and I'm just trying to get back up to
speed so I can help with F15, but is there a "failsafe" for gnome3
that will allow the shell to revert to a 2D interface in the event of a
graphics card that can't do compositing?

-AdamM

Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
drago01

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Adam Miller
<maxamillion@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> This might be a horrible noob question since I've been out of the loop
> for almost all of the F14 cycle and I'm just trying to get back up to
> speed so I can help with F15, but is there a "failsafe" for gnome3
> that will allow the shell to revert to a 2D interface in the event of a
> graphics card that can't do compositing?

Yes there will be a fallback for drivers that do not support accelerated 3D.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Rui Tiago Cação Matos

On 1 December 2010 15:25, Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> This might be a horrible noob question since I've been out of the loop
> for almost all of the F14 cycle and I'm just trying to get back up to
> speed so I can help with F15, but is there a "failsafe" for gnome3
> that will allow the shell to revert to a 2D interface in the event of a
> graphics card that can't do compositing?

Not sure how current this still is, but:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/Fallback

Rui

Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Mike Chambers

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 15:31 +0000, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> On 1 December 2010 15:25, Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > This might be a horrible noob question since I've been out of the loop
> > for almost all of the F14 cycle and I'm just trying to get back up to
> > speed so I can help with F15, but is there a "failsafe" for gnome3
> > that will allow the shell to revert to a 2D interface in the event of a
> > graphics card that can't do compositing?
>
> Not sure how current this still is, but:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/Fallback
>
> Rui

Is Gnome 3 and the Shell both in rawhide currently and can be tested
already or is there more work to do before ready for evaluating (or at
least enough to not crash every 2 secs)?

Mike Chambers

Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 09:47 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 15:31 +0000, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> > On 1 December 2010 15:25, Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > > This might be a horrible noob question since I've been out of the loop
> > > for almost all of the F14 cycle and I'm just trying to get back up to
> > > speed so I can help with F15, but is there a "failsafe" for gnome3
> > > that will allow the shell to revert to a 2D interface in the event of a
> > > graphics card that can't do compositing?
> >
> > Not sure how current this still is, but:
> >
> > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/Fallback
> >
> > Rui
>
> Is Gnome 3 and the Shell both in rawhide currently and can be tested
> already or is there more work to do before ready for evaluating (or at
> least enough to not crash every 2 secs)?

I know it's working usably for at least one person (hno on IRC) with an
Intel card. For me, on an NVIDIA 9400 GT, it basically hangs when run
(won't take any input once a window is drawn); Ben Skeggs has the same
card in one of his test machines and is looking at it. Don't have any
data past that - I've been kind of assuming a few people are using it
and it works, but not on the basis of any particular evidence

it still has a lot of raw edges. GTK+3 apps, at present, seem to be very
uglily (is that a word?) themed, for some reason - some all-grey theme
that looks like it came from a 1996 Solaris machine or something - and
there's lots of other sharp edges.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey