FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
"Valent Turkovic"
 
Default Fedora and 3D Desktop

On Feb 1, 2008 6:24 PM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 5:39 PM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > > On Feb 1, 2008 2:15 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > >> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > >>> Hi,
> > >>> In Fedora there is a option "Enable desktop effects" but it looks from
> > >>> users point of view that it is there only so that nobody can't say
> > >>> that fedora project doesn't have 3D desktop feature.
> > >> You are being obnoxious. AIGLX which is used in most distributions for
> > >> "3D desktops" today was developed with Fedora.
> > >
> > > Have I offended you in some way?
> >
> > No. I merely find that claim unnecessary and inflammatory especially
> > with the knowledge that tells you otherwise. Asking a question about
> > development plans is perfectly fine otherwise.
> >
>
> Why do you believe so strongly that I was dishonest when I said that
> it wasn't a flame bait?
>
> I really wanted an answer about "3D Desktop" and that to me is not
> equal to aiglx. Aiglx is the base of it AFAIK but doesn't make it by
> itself.
> 3D Desktop is for me aiglx+compiz fusion+configuring some defalt
> behaviour on gnome, etc...
>
>
> Valent.

I have just enabled compiz-fusion, because I usually don't use it...
and I have these issues:
- keyboard super key currenty isn't properly setup (and I have Cherry
Linux keyboard with tux on super key )
- some plugins don't work even if they are enabled
- shortcuts overlap and start some other effect that ones I setup in
CompizConfig Settings

These are some minore bugs but still show that compiz and
compiz-fusion on Fedora needs some polish compared to other distros
that ship compiz and compiz-fusion that JustWork for users.

I'm wasn't sure that fedora was even looking to enable compiz, and now
that I see it will I'll go and test compiz and compiz fusion more and
submit bugs in bz.

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
"Valent Turkovic"
 
Default Fedora and 3D Desktop

On Feb 1, 2008 7:37 PM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just enabled compiz-fusion, because I usually don't use it...
> and I have these issues:
> - keyboard super key currenty isn't properly setup (and I have Cherry
> Linux keyboard with tux on super key )
> - some plugins don't work even if they are enabled
> - shortcuts overlap and start some other effect that ones I setup in
> CompizConfig Settings
>
> These are some minore bugs but still show that compiz and
> compiz-fusion on Fedora needs some polish compared to other distros
> that ship compiz and compiz-fusion that JustWork for users.
>
> I'm wasn't sure that fedora was even looking to enable compiz, and now
> that I see it will I'll go and test compiz and compiz fusion more and
> submit bugs in bz.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=431302

I also found this bug and it affects KDE4 and gnome desktop with
compiz running with dual screen setup.

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"
 
Default Fedora and 3D Desktop

On Feb 1, 2008 3:47 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some distributions ask during the
> install if users would like to start 3D desktop feature, and in Fedora
> users usually need to know exactly where to go to enable 3D effects.
> I'm not saying that one is better that the other, just saying what I
> see on other distros.


In the future, please do not make general comparisons about 'other
distros' when you want to make a comparative statement. If you want
to make a comparison, say specifically which distros you want other
people to look at. There's absolutely no way for me to know which
distros you are talking about.. and i'm sure as hell not going to
start randomly installing distros from distrowatch in an effort to
understand exactly what you are talking about.

Valent, you have already commented in another location that you want
to see podcasts. Here's is a perfect example where YOU could have
provided some sort of video podcast for the rest of us to watch so the
we can understand exactly what you are talking about.. It would have
been a very good use of a video podcast. Making some rather
generalized statements about unspecified 'other distros' doesn't give
us enough information to even have a competent dialog.

In the future, you must be more specific.

-jef.

-jef

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM
"Valent Turkovic"
 
Default Fedora and 3D Desktop

On Feb 4, 2008 12:28 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 3:47 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some distributions ask during the
> > install if users would like to start 3D desktop feature, and in Fedora
> > users usually need to know exactly where to go to enable 3D effects.
> > I'm not saying that one is better that the other, just saying what I
> > see on other distros.
>
>
> In the future, please do not make general comparisons about 'other
> distros' when you want to make a comparative statement. If you want
> to make a comparison, say specifically which distros you want other
> people to look at. There's absolutely no way for me to know which
> distros you are talking about.. and i'm sure as hell not going to
> start randomly installing distros from distrowatch in an effort to
> understand exactly what you are talking about.

Well I had a really bad experience on fedora lists with naming the
exact distros and that is why I opted to be a bit elusive this time.
My experience is that fedora devels (or non devels on this lists)
don't like mentioning names like ubuntu, opensuse, mandriva, etc...
and don't like being compared and that is why I didn't name any names.

Ubuntu and Mandriva are the ones I thought about but didn't mention out loud.

> Valent, you have already commented in another location that you want
> to see podcasts. Here's is a perfect example where YOU could have
> provided some sort of video podcast for the rest of us to watch so the
> we can understand exactly what you are talking about.. It would have
> been a very good use of a video podcast. Making some rather
> generalized statements about unspecified 'other distros' doesn't give
> us enough information to even have a competent dialog.

Can you be just a bit more specific? I can do that... what would be
cool - a video podcast about comparing fedora and different distros of
3D desktop bugs I came across?

> In the future, you must be more specific.

No problem.

Cheers,
Valent.


--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 02-04-2008, 08:25 PM
"Valent Turkovic"
 
Default Fedora and 3D Desktop

On Feb 4, 2008 6:59 PM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Valent, you have already commented in another location that you want
> > to see podcasts. Here's is a perfect example where YOU could have
> > provided some sort of video podcast for the rest of us to watch so the
> > we can understand exactly what you are talking about.. It would have
> > been a very good use of a video podcast. Making some rather
> > generalized statements about unspecified 'other distros' doesn't give
> > us enough information to even have a competent dialog.

I had an unfortunate lapsus calami in previous post.

I wanted to ask what would be interesting to see in video podcast form?
Would it be more interesting to compare some features that I see other
distros have that would also be beneficial in Fedora? Or are you
talking about 3D Desktop and that it would be interesting for you to
see issues with regular usage of 3D Desktop on Fedora?

Cheers,
Valent.


--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"
 
Default Fedora and 3D Desktop

On Feb 4, 2008 12:25 PM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to ask what would be interesting to see in video podcast form?
> Would it be more interesting to compare some features that I see other
> distros have that would also be beneficial in Fedora?

I personally do not care about what other distros do or do not do.
I personally don't care about any of this 3d desktop crap... at all.
Even when it looks good... its pointless distraction.

What I am suggesting is that you need to find a better way to
communicate some of what you care about, in a way that persuades other
people to care.

Right now your writing style on mailinglists is starting to put people
off. If your ultimate goal is to persuade other people to act on
things you want to see done, you need to make some adjustments in your
approach, or you are just going to be tuned out. I'm even having a
hard time at this point, and I'm making an effort, a serious effort,
to watch what you post and respond constructively.

You've previously stated that you want to see podcasts... well here's
your chance to take a leading role and start producing podcast and by
doing so encouraging people to follow your lead.

-jef

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org