-   -   laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/440404-laughlin-backgrounds-gnome-size-increase.html)

Jesse Keating 10-16-2010 12:16 AM

laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

Martin Sourada 10-16-2010 08:07 AM

laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

> With the latest version of l-b-g, the "time of day" backgrounds were
> added to the -gnome subpackage. This ballooned the package by 20+megs
> and has caused some of the live images to overflow. Previously none of
> the actual background files were in -gnome and I'm curious why the
> change was made at this point, particularly when in previous releases
> there were no images in the -gnome subpackage.

The reason why they're in -gnome subpackage is simple: this kind of
thing is supported in gnome only. The reason why this late is also
simple -- we (design-team) agreed on our regular IRC meeting that we
want to make the default wallpaper with time-of-day animation again and
this kind of improvement is always done last in wallpaper design. IIRC
last time we did time-of-day animation was Fedora 9 so you can imagine
why for the past few releases -gnome subpackage was image-empty.

I apologize for the inconvenience -- I should have probably notified the
desktop folks ahead that it was highly probable that l-b-g-gnome would
increase in size rather drastically (I myself had the info week ahead of
the packaging)...

Regards,
Martin

Bruno Wolff III 10-16-2010 01:20 PM

laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:07:24 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:

> I apologize for the inconvenience -- I should have probably notified the
> desktop folks ahead that it was highly probable that l-b-g-gnome would
> increase in size rather drastically (I myself had the info week ahead of
> the packaging)...

It's a bit more than an incovenience. It is breaking some spins. (In that
they aren't going to make their target size without changes.)
We either need a way to only get some of that stuff, or some way to not
use that package for at least a few spins. We only have a few days to react
to this. The two spins that went over size are probably going to have a problem
with removing other software and we will probably want to look at some way
to use a simpler backgrounds package. If you guys have some ideas in that
direction it would help.

Bruno Wolff III 10-16-2010 03:04 PM

laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

I looked and the key provides seems to be system-backgrounds-gnome. That is
provided only by laughlin-backgrounds-gnome and is required by
gnome-desktop and gnome-desktop3.
I didn't check for file dependencies, so I am not sure if XFCE pulls this
in via a file dependency or not.

But it does look like we need a package change to deal with this.
One option would be to have laughlin-backgrounds-single provide
system-backgrounds-gnome instead of laughlin-backgrounds-gnome and then
specifically include laughlin-backgrounds-gnome in the ks files for
the spins that want the full list of backgrounds.

I'd be willing to adjust the spin kickstart files, but I am not a proven
packager so I can't touch that laughlin-backgrounds packages. We'll also
need to round up some proven testers as these are critical path packages.

I have about 2.5 hours now I can be free to do stuff, otherwise it will
be late tonight (in about 14 hours) or tomorrow that I can work on this.

Another option would be to revert the update. That doesn't seem ideal,
but might be less work.

Bruno Wolff III 10-16-2010 03:24 PM

laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:04:59 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> I didn't check for file dependencies, so I am not sure if XFCE pulls this
> in via a file dependency or not.

Unless I screwed up how I checked this, there don't appear to be any direct
file dependencies on files in laughlin-backgrounds-gnome.

Martin Sourada 10-16-2010 03:26 PM

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 08:20 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:07:24 +0200,
> Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I apologize for the inconvenience -- I should have probably notified the
> > desktop folks ahead that it was highly probable that l-b-g-gnome would
> > increase in size rather drastically (I myself had the info week ahead of
> > the packaging)...
>
> It's a bit more than an incovenience. It is breaking some spins. (In that
> they aren't going to make their target size without changes.)
> We either need a way to only get some of that stuff, or some way to not
> use that package for at least a few spins. We only have a few days to react
> to this. The two spins that went over size are probably going to have a problem
> with removing other software and we will probably want to look at some way
> to use a simpler backgrounds package. If you guys have some ideas in that
> direction it would help.
It would help to list which spins went oversize and what's their target
size. So general info:

For gnome we need a xml file which actually adds the wallpaper into
wallpaper chooser. The one in current package points to xml which
describes the time-of-day wallpaper version. If you'd need gnome desktop
without time-of-day wallpaper you'd need to add two new xmls (one which
would describe which images are used at which sizes and another one
which would add it to background chooser). In theory, we could split the
-gnome subpackage into -gnome and -gnome-tod which however isn't what we
(design team) want as we want the time-of-day wallpaper used by default
on Desktop spin. It's set not in kickstart, but in gnome-desktop(3),
hence the requires.

For KDE we need the wallpaper description via .desktop file (in -kde
sub-package). AFAIK, KDE does not have support for time-of-day animation
so it does not pull in everything.

For LXDE and XFCE neither -gnome nor -kde sub-packages should be pulled
in and if they are, then it's wrong.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Sourada 10-16-2010 03:36 PM

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 10:24 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:04:59 -0500,
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > I didn't check for file dependencies, so I am not sure if XFCE pulls this
> > in via a file dependency or not.
>
> Unless I screwed up how I checked this, there don't appear to be any direct
> file dependencies on files in laughlin-backgrounds-gnome.
There shouldn't be, it's handled directly via package/virtual provides
(there is usually more than 1 file require so it would quickly get
messy). With that said, the default wallpaper selection could be handled
probably more cleanly, I have some ideas which I'd like to try for F15,
but they wouldn't prevent this case from happening as we never know
sufficiently far ahead whether we'll do time-of-day wallpaper and it
always appear no sooner than the final version of wallpaper...

Martin

Bruno Wolff III 10-16-2010 03:42 PM

laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:04:59 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> But it does look like we need a package change to deal with this.
> One option would be to have laughlin-backgrounds-single provide
> system-backgrounds-gnome instead of laughlin-backgrounds-gnome and then
> specifically include laughlin-backgrounds-gnome in the ks files for
> the spins that want the full list of backgrounds.

I think we might also want to add laughlin-backgrounds-gnome to the
desktop-gnome comps group as a default package, so that people get
the full set of backgrounds by default when installing.

Martin Sourada 10-16-2010 03:58 PM

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 10:42 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:04:59 -0500,
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> >
> > But it does look like we need a package change to deal with this.
> > One option would be to have laughlin-backgrounds-single provide
> > system-backgrounds-gnome instead of laughlin-backgrounds-gnome and then
> > specifically include laughlin-backgrounds-gnome in the ks files for
> > the spins that want the full list of backgrounds.
>
> I think we might also want to add laughlin-backgrounds-gnome to the
> desktop-gnome comps group as a default package, so that people get
> the full set of backgrounds by default when installing.
I believe they get it as it's required by gnome-desktop(3). Try
yum-removing it ;-)

Martin

Bruno Wolff III 10-16-2010 04:02 PM

laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:36:53 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> There shouldn't be, it's handled directly via package/virtual provides
> (there is usually more than 1 file require so it would quickly get
> messy). With that said, the default wallpaper selection could be handled
> probably more cleanly, I have some ideas which I'd like to try for F15,
> but they wouldn't prevent this case from happening as we never know
> sufficiently far ahead whether we'll do time-of-day wallpaper and it
> always appear no sooner than the final version of wallpaper...

As long as there is a way for ks files to get just the simpler wallpaper
the ones that are tight on space can be set to use the simpler one and
last minute changes in the package shouldn't be that big of a deal. (But
if there is a large change in size, it would still be best to get it in
a little bit earlier.)

We still need a plan to deal with the immediate problem. You mentioned some
areas I wasn't aware of when I made my previous proposal. Can you combine
what you described above with what I mentioned so far and propose a way
forward that we can implement this weekend?