Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 13:09:04 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please log in and give karma. Given the change is small I set the
> autokarma threshold to 2. It should make the spins small enough again.
> Given the nature of changes, the only packages that might need quick
> test are l-b-gnome and l-b-animated-gnome

I am not sure how to test the actual animation, but the animated stuff
is now optional (with gnome installed) and when it is installed can
be selected. So it looks good.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:22:55 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would be nice though, if you could then change the desktop spin
> kickstart to use the animated version of the wallpaper by default as
> we'd like to see it used on it.

I changed the live desktop to include the animated backgrounds. I also
changed broffice to remove them. Once the animated backgrounds hits updates
they should be on live desktop based spins other than broffice.

I haven't made it the default yet on the desktop spin. I am looking for
the right way to do that and want it in a separate commit.

I didn't add it to the install image. Without a comps change, it won't
show up on the install image. I think it should be added to the gnome-desktop
group as a default package to get it installed by default with gnome.
That may affect what ends up on the live spins, but I think won't cause
a problem the way I changed things. If this change does get made it should
be done as soon after the animated packages are in stable as possible as
we may need a change to fix things. Desktop controls that comps group,
so I'll leave the decision there for someone in Desktop to decide.
(Note that changing it early could potentially break composes.)

The spin-kickstarts package will be out of date again. I'll look at getting
a new version of that into testing tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:22:55 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would be nice though, if you could then change the desktop spin
> kickstart to use the animated version of the wallpaper by default as
> we'd like to see it used on it.

I added a command in post that I think will use the animated laughlin
background by default in live desktop based spins. I added a similar
command to broffice to use the normal one. I think this will undo the
one in the included file. This will need testing, but until the
laughlin-backgrounds update gets in stable I am not sure if we can easily
do that.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 13:35:50 -0700,
Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2010 01:22 AM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Would be nice though, if you could then change the desktop spin
> > kickstart to use the animated version of the wallpaper by default as
> > we'd like to see it used on it.
> >

> Unfortunately the animated wallpapers on the desktop spin make it go
> over in size, by just a few megs. We're still in a "no-go" state until
> this gets fixed :/

I look at this later tonight, but want to give Desktop a change to make some
other change. Otherwise I'll try to use the same change to livecd-desktop
that I do for broffice.org. Apparently I have something in the wrong
place or otherwise wrong for broffice.org as my fix is breaking that build.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 15:48:49 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> I look at this later tonight, but want to give Desktop a change to make some
> other change. Otherwise I'll try to use the same change to livecd-desktop
> that I do for broffice.org. Apparently I have something in the wrong
> place or otherwise wrong for broffice.org as my fix is breaking that build.

broffice.org seems OK now. I am doing a bit of testing with desktop livecd
not having the animated background installed. If that looks good and I
don't see a fix committed by the desktop team, I'll commit this one and
do a new spin-kickstarts package (with a patch). The one Jesse did earlier
is in stable so I won't block that one from getting used for the current
compose.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 13:35:50 -0700,
Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2010 01:22 AM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Would be nice though, if you could then change the desktop spin
> > kickstart to use the animated version of the wallpaper by default as
> > we'd like to see it used on it.
> >

> Unfortunately the animated wallpapers on the desktop spin make it go
> over in size, by just a few megs. We're still in a "no-go" state until
> this gets fixed :/

I removed the animated backgrounds from the Desktop livecd image to get
it under size.

I noticed that at least on one machine that a dd'd image to a usb device
wouldn't boot because of an isolinux.bin issue. I filed a bug on this,
though I don't think it's a blocker.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Iván Jiménez

El mar, 19-10-2010 a las 13:35 -0700, Jesse Keating escribió:

> On 10/17/2010 01:22 AM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Would be nice though, if you could then change the desktop spin
> > kickstart to use the animated version of the wallpaper by default as
> > we'd like to see it used on it.
> >

> Unfortunately the animated wallpapers on the desktop spin make it go
> over in size, by just a few megs. We're still in a "no-go" state until
> this gets fixed :/

Maybe too late for f14, but the following changes to comps could help:

* make planner (6 MiB) optional in office, same for openoffice.org-draw;
they're too specialized apps.
* make system-config-lvm optional (3.1 MiB) in admin-tools; obsoleted by
palimpsest