Old 10-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:26:29 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would help to list which spins went oversize and what's their target
> size. So general info:

broffice and xfce are the two that went over their targets. They need to
get back under 703 MiB. Games was almost hit, but still has enough cushion
that I can handle the hedgewars small increase in size which will be
showing up in a push tomorrow unless it gets negative karma before then.
But I'm still pretty close and will probably still implement whatever
we do for broffice and xfce.

> For gnome we need a xml file which actually adds the wallpaper into
> wallpaper chooser. The one in current package points to xml which
> describes the time-of-day wallpaper version. If you'd need gnome desktop
> without time-of-day wallpaper you'd need to add two new xmls (one which
> would describe which images are used at which sizes and another one
> which would add it to background chooser). In theory, we could split the
> -gnome subpackage into -gnome and -gnome-tod which however isn't what we
> (design team) want as we want the time-of-day wallpaper used by default
> on Desktop spin. It's set not in kickstart, but in gnome-desktop(3),
> hence the requires.

Can you make some proposal here that we can relatively safely mplement this
weekend?

> For KDE we need the wallpaper description via .desktop file (in -kde
> sub-package). AFAIK, KDE does not have support for time-of-day animation
> so it does not pull in everything.

Were probably OK on KDE as it is about 15 MiB under the limit right now.
I'd rather not make changes there right now if we don't have to. But there
probably should be a plan to allow for a simpler background on KDE based
spins for the future.

> For LXDE and XFCE neither -gnome nor -kde sub-packages should be pulled
> in and if they are, then it's wrong.

Any ideas on how this is happening?

Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:58:22 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 10:42 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:04:59 -0500,
> > Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > >
> > > But it does look like we need a package change to deal with this.
> > > One option would be to have laughlin-backgrounds-single provide
> > > system-backgrounds-gnome instead of laughlin-backgrounds-gnome and then
> > > specifically include laughlin-backgrounds-gnome in the ks files for
> > > the spins that want the full list of backgrounds.
> >
> > I think we might also want to add laughlin-backgrounds-gnome to the
> > desktop-gnome comps group as a default package, so that people get
> > the full set of backgrounds by default when installing.
> I believe they get it as it's required by gnome-desktop(3). Try
> yum-removing it ;-)

Part of my proposal was changing that. If we do that, then I think we
need it in comps.

The xml file is an issue though. Is there a way to do conditional code in
that file? Otherwise it looks like having a different default depending
on whether or not laughlin-backgrounds-gnome installed is going to be
difficult.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:02 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:36:53 +0200,
> Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There shouldn't be, it's handled directly via package/virtual provides
> > (there is usually more than 1 file require so it would quickly get
> > messy). With that said, the default wallpaper selection could be handled
> > probably more cleanly, I have some ideas which I'd like to try for F15,
> > but they wouldn't prevent this case from happening as we never know
> > sufficiently far ahead whether we'll do time-of-day wallpaper and it
> > always appear no sooner than the final version of wallpaper...
>
> As long as there is a way for ks files to get just the simpler wallpaper
> the ones that are tight on space can be set to use the simpler one and
> last minute changes in the package shouldn't be that big of a deal. (But
> if there is a large change in size, it would still be best to get it in
> a little bit earlier.)
>
> We still need a plan to deal with the immediate problem. You mentioned some
> areas I wasn't aware of when I made my previous proposal. Can you combine
> what you described above with what I mentioned so far and propose a way
> forward that we can implement this weekend?
For the immediate problem -- I'm not sure what is better packaging-wise,
but I could do one of the following
* move -gnome into -gnome-tod (with the virtual provides and
perhaps obsolete -gnome < 14.1.0), create the needed xmls and
put them into -gnome
* create the needed xmls and put them into -gnome-simple (less
work)

In order to help you solve your problem the best would be to create
these two sub-packages in a way that the xmls would be the same and thus
in direct conflict. I'm not sure how to properly handle the defaults
yet. Perhaps adding the virtual provide to the -simple one as well, but
the we'd have to make sure to correct package is pulled in...

Any better ideas?

Martin

Old 10-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:12 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:26:29 +0200,
> Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It would help to list which spins went oversize and what's their target
> > size. So general info:
>
> broffice and xfce are the two that went over their targets. They need to
> get back under 703 MiB. Games was almost hit, but still has enough cushion
> that I can handle the hedgewars small increase in size which will be
> showing up in a push tomorrow unless it gets negative karma before then.
> But I'm still pretty close and will probably still implement whatever
> we do for broffice and xfce.

AFAIK XFCE should require only -single, unless they pull
gnome-desktop(3) for some reason. That grew by 1MB, probably due to
increased complexity of the wallpaper. I'd investigate this one more
throughout if I were you.

Martin

Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:27 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:58:22 +0200,
> Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 10:42 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > > I think we might also want to add laughlin-backgrounds-gnome to the
> > > desktop-gnome comps group as a default package, so that people get
> > > the full set of backgrounds by default when installing.
> > I believe they get it as it's required by gnome-desktop(3). Try
> > yum-removing it ;-)
>
> Part of my proposal was changing that. If we do that, then I think we
> need it in comps.
>
> The xml file is an issue though. Is there a way to do conditional code in
> that file? Otherwise it looks like having a different default depending
> on whether or not laughlin-backgrounds-gnome installed is going to be
> difficult.
The important xml for it to appear in backgrounds-chooser is this one:
/usr/share/gnome-background-properties/desktop-backgrounds-laughlin.xml
the xml that is selected as default background is this:
/usr/share/backgrounds/laughlin/default/laughlin.xml

The gnome-desktop(3) requires is because it explicitly selects the
background (in gconf schema file) to be
/usr/share/backgrounds/laughlin/default/laughlin.xml

I'm really not sure how to handle here two different defaults...

How it's done in spins with different default wallpaper (I believe the
education or security have one)?

Martin

Old 10-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 18:32:36 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the immediate problem -- I'm not sure what is better packaging-wise,
> but I could do one of the following
> * move -gnome into -gnome-tod (with the virtual provides and
> perhaps obsolete -gnome < 14.1.0), create the needed xmls and
> put them into -gnome
> * create the needed xmls and put them into -gnome-simple (less
> work)

I don't think you need to make a laughlin-backgrounds-gnome-tod.
We should be able to properly spil stuff between laughlin-backgrounds-gnome
and laughlin-backgrounds-single as long as we can get a single xml file
to work for both cases.

> In order to help you solve your problem the best would be to create
> these two sub-packages in a way that the xmls would be the same and thus
> in direct conflict. I'm not sure how to properly handle the defaults
> yet. Perhaps adding the virtual provide to the -simple one as well, but
> the we'd have to make sure to correct package is pulled in...

I'd rather not see a conflicts. That is going to cause problems.

> Any better ideas?

Is there someplace that describes the details of that xml file?
I am trying to search through the gnome documentation but haven't found
the reference for that file yet.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 18:49:12 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> The important xml for it to appear in backgrounds-chooser is this one:
> /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/desktop-backgrounds-laughlin.xml
> the xml that is selected as default background is this:
> /usr/share/backgrounds/laughlin/default/laughlin.xml
>
> The gnome-desktop(3) requires is because it explicitly selects the
> background (in gconf schema file) to be
> /usr/share/backgrounds/laughlin/default/laughlin.xml
>
> I'm really not sure how to handle here two different defaults...

I don't think there is a good way to have two defaults. I am hoping there
is a way to have one default that falls back to using different images
if the primary ones aren't available. The idea would be to use the
time of day background with the fallbacks all being the images in the
-single package (so the appearance would be constant, but the same
xml file could be used). I doubt that feature is there, but I am trying
to find more information.

> How it's done in spins with different default wallpaper (I believe the
> education or security have one)?

There are ways to run scripts as part of the builds. I don't exactly how
they implemented that though. However, different isn't enough. The package
needs to be removalable. And given that it is removable, it needs to work
sanely outside of the spins.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 18:42:10 +0200,
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:12 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:26:29 +0200,
> > Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It would help to list which spins went oversize and what's their target
> > > size. So general info:
> >
> > broffice and xfce are the two that went over their targets. They need to
> > get back under 703 MiB. Games was almost hit, but still has enough cushion
> > that I can handle the hedgewars small increase in size which will be
> > showing up in a push tomorrow unless it gets negative karma before then.
> > But I'm still pretty close and will probably still implement whatever
> > we do for broffice and xfce.
> >
> AFAIK XFCE should require only -single, unless they pull
> gnome-desktop(3) for some reason. That grew by 1MB, probably due to
> increased complexity of the wallpaper. I'd investigate this one more
> throughout if I were you.

That will be lower priority for me. Kevin knows that package better and
the solution there doesn't help broffice, whereas working on a general
solution will help xfce in the short run, even if there is also another
problem that can be fixed.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:52 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 18:32:36 +0200,
> Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> > For the immediate problem -- I'm not sure what is better packaging-wise,
> > but I could do one of the following
> > * move -gnome into -gnome-tod (with the virtual provides and
> > perhaps obsolete -gnome < 14.1.0), create the needed xmls and
> > put them into -gnome
> > * create the needed xmls and put them into -gnome-simple (less
> > work)
>
> I don't think you need to make a laughlin-backgrounds-gnome-tod.
> We should be able to properly spil stuff between laughlin-backgrounds-gnome
> and laughlin-backgrounds-single as long as we can get a single xml file
> to work for both cases.
>
> > In order to help you solve your problem the best would be to create
> > these two sub-packages in a way that the xmls would be the same and thus
> > in direct conflict. I'm not sure how to properly handle the defaults
> > yet. Perhaps adding the virtual provide to the -simple one as well, but
> > the we'd have to make sure to correct package is pulled in...
>
> I'd rather not see a conflicts. That is going to cause problems.
>
> > Any better ideas?
>
> Is there someplace that describes the details of that xml file?
> I am trying to search through the gnome documentation but haven't found
> the reference for that file yet.
I have no idea These things are really badly documented... Most you
can get is inspecting the code directly...

Martin

Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Charles Kerr

I don't have much experience with pngout, but it claims to be able to
shave an extra 14% off these images' sizes. I tried it out on the
four images in standard/ and got this result:

% for foo in *png; do wine ~/bin/pngout.exe "$foo" out/"$foo"; done
In: 3811866 bytes laughlin-01-morning.png /c6 /f5
Out: 3305323 bytes out/laughlin-01-morning.png /c2 /f5
Chg: -506543 bytes ( 86% of original)
In: 3471621 bytes laughlin-02-noon.png /c6 /f5
Out: 3009028 bytes out/laughlin-02-noon.png /c2 /f5
Chg: -462593 bytes ( 86% of original)
In: 3254979 bytes laughlin-03-evening.png /c6 /f5
Out: 2822083 bytes out/laughlin-03-evening.png /c2 /f5
Chg: -432896 bytes ( 86% of original)
In: 3168173 bytes laughlin-04-night.png /c6 /f5
Out: 2735233 bytes out/laughlin-04-night.png /c2 /f5
Chg: -432940 bytes ( 86% of original)