Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Brian Pepple

Default F14: what to do about pino / twitter

> So, as I see it, there's three options here:
>
> * ship a fixed pino
> * ship something else
> * don't ship a twitter client by default
>
> Just wanted to start a thread to flag up the issue and prompt a
> discussion of an appropriate resolution. thanks!

I'd vote for option #3 - don't ship a twitter client by default, and put
something in the release notes regarding the available options for folks
that want to install one.

Later,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Bill Nottingham

Brian Pepple (bpepple@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > So, as I see it, there's three options here:
> >
> > * ship a fixed pino
> > * ship something else
> > * don't ship a twitter client by default
> >
> > Just wanted to start a thread to flag up the issue and prompt a
> > discussion of an appropriate resolution. thanks!
>
> I'd vote for option #3 - don't ship a twitter client by default, and put
> something in the release notes regarding the available options for folks
> that want to install one.

I would just include gwibber, personally (assuming it fits.)

Bill

Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Colin Walters

This is definitely scope creeping the discussion here, but I'm coming
round to the viewpoint that Fedora shoudn't ship any application in
the default install whose primary purpose is to connect to proprietary
web services, or at least not ones configured by default to do so.
(All apps are of course free to be in the repositories).

This would dovetail nicely with making it not suck to install applications.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Brian Pepple

> Brian Pepple (bpepple@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > So, as I see it, there's three options here:
> > >
> > > * ship a fixed pino
> > > * ship something else
> > > * don't ship a twitter client by default
> > >
> > > Just wanted to start a thread to flag up the issue and prompt a
> > > discussion of an appropriate resolution. thanks!
> >
> > I'd vote for option #3 - don't ship a twitter client by default, and put
> > something in the release notes regarding the available options for folks
> > that want to install one.
>
> I would just include gwibber, personally (assuming it fits.)

Yeah, if we want to ship one, gwibber is pretty much the only option,
since it's most likely too late to fix pino before F14 is released. The
big cons about gwibber, in my opinion is the fairly poor performance
I've experienced with it (tho I last used it about 2 months ago) and the
number of dependencies it would pull into the livecd.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
drago01

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:

> This would dovetail nicely with making it not suck to install applications.

Which still is the case in F14 (app installation suck).

Old 10-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> > This is definitely scope creeping the discussion here, but I'm coming
> > round to the viewpoint that Fedora shoudn't ship any application in
> > the default install whose primary purpose is to connect to proprietary
> > web services, or at least not ones configured by default to do so.
> > (All apps are of course free to be in the repositories).
> >
> > This would dovetail nicely with making it not suck to install applications.
>
> - From what I understand, pino also works with identi.ca, and there is no
> issues with the current version in F14 for doing that. Whether
> identa.ca or twitter is the default I don't know.

According to the bug, identi.ca support is broken too.

Bill

Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 14:52 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> This is definitely scope creeping the discussion here, but I'm coming
> round to the viewpoint that Fedora shoudn't ship any application in
> the default install whose primary purpose is to connect to proprietary
> web services, or at least not ones configured by default to do so.
> (All apps are of course free to be in the repositories).
>
> This would dovetail nicely with making it not suck to install applications.

I don't think this is a useful direction to take the F14/pino problem
into. If we stop installing applications that are useful for users, then
the users will go somewhere else.

'Its not pure enough for us, but you _can_ install this shit if you
really insist' is not a good enough answer...

Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 03:01:25PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:

> > > I'd vote for option #3 - don't ship a twitter client by default, and put
> > > something in the release notes regarding the available options for folks
> > > that want to install one.
> >
> > I would just include gwibber, personally (assuming it fits.)
>
> Yeah, if we want to ship one, gwibber is pretty much the only option,
> since it's most likely too late to fix pino before F14 is released. The
> big cons about gwibber, in my opinion is the fairly poor performance
> I've experienced with it (tho I last used it about 2 months ago) and the
> number of dependencies it would pull into the livecd.

Doesn't post-Beta seem too late to do this? Better to have people
simply use their browser I'd think.