Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Jonathan Nadeau

Default f14 and orca

Hello list,

I just tried out f14 and orca really doesn't work. When you first
start orca it does not go through the set up like it normally does.
Instead it starts right away like it has already been set up and
doesn't let you go through the orca configuration. Orca does start to
talk but you can't move around on the desktop or anywhere like the
gnome menu or any of the panels. When you press a button on the
keyboard orca just says the key you are pressing. It's as if orca
doesn't have focus of the desktop and can't move anywhere. I figured I
would try to erase the config folder in the home folder by going to
the home folder and pressing control h to show the hidden folders and
there was no .orca folder to erase I'm not sure what this means but
this is what I have found. Thanks for your time and help

--Jonathan Nadeau

Old 10-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Adam Williamson

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 21:19 -0400, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I just tried out f14 and orca really doesn't work. When you first
> start orca it does not go through the set up like it normally does.
> Instead it starts right away like it has already been set up and
> doesn't let you go through the orca configuration. Orca does start to
> talk but you can't move around on the desktop or anywhere like the
> gnome menu or any of the panels. When you press a button on the
> keyboard orca just says the key you are pressing. It's as if orca
> doesn't have focus of the desktop and can't move anywhere. I figured I
> would try to erase the config folder in the home folder by going to
> the home folder and pressing control h to show the hidden folders and
> there was no .orca folder to erase I'm not sure what this means but
> this is what I have found. Thanks for your time and help

Thanks, Jon. Can you check for a ~/.config/orca maybe?

I just ran Orca on my desktop and it popped up the Orca Preferences
window and played a 'Welcome to Orca' message. Is that what it's meant
to do?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Jonathan Nadeau

On 9/30/10, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 21:19 -0400, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I just tried out f14 and orca really doesn't work. When you first
>> start orca it does not go through the set up like it normally does.
>> Instead it starts right away like it has already been set up and
>> doesn't let you go through the orca configuration. Orca does start to
>> talk but you can't move around on the desktop or anywhere like the
>> gnome menu or any of the panels. When you press a button on the
>> keyboard orca just says the key you are pressing. It's as if orca
>> doesn't have focus of the desktop and can't move anywhere. I figured I
>> would try to erase the config folder in the home folder by going to
>> the home folder and pressing control h to show the hidden folders and
>> there was no .orca folder to erase I'm not sure what this means but
>> this is what I have found. Thanks for your time and help
>
> Thanks, Jon. Can you check for a ~/.config/orca maybe?
>
> I just ran Orca on my desktop and it popped up the Orca Preferences
> window and played a 'Welcome to Orca' message. Is that what it's meant
> to do?
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net

I don't have f14 installed right now because I need something up and
running that I can use. But I know there is always a .orca folder in
the home folder. So I can't check to see if there is a orca folder in
the .config folder. As far as what you see when you type in orca you
should see that eventually but not right away. When you first type in
orca to start it it should ask you first to choose your language and
then what keyboard set up you want like desktop or notebook along with
some other choices. But it skips all of this and goes straight to the
orca preferences which is what you see. Even though it skips this set
up process you could still set up orca through the preferences but if
you notice like I said even though orca comes up and is talking you
can't get orca to even read the preferences box or get orca to open
it. It seems that that orca doesn't have focus on the desktop and you
can't get it to move around the menus or panel or like I said even get
orca to open the preferences. If you have f13 around somewhere you
will see how orca is supposed to run. Thanks for your help and time.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 05:51:25AM -0400, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
> On 9/30/10, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 21:19 -0400, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> I just tried out f14 and orca really doesn't work. When you first
> >> start orca it does not go through the set up like it normally does.
> >> Instead it starts right away like it has already been set up and
> >> doesn't let you go through the orca configuration. Orca does start to
> >> talk but you can't move around on the desktop or anywhere like the
> >> gnome menu or any of the panels. When you press a button on the
> >> keyboard orca just says the key you are pressing. It's as if orca
> >> doesn't have focus of the desktop and can't move anywhere. I figured I
> >> would try to erase the config folder in the home folder by going to
> >> the home folder and pressing control h to show the hidden folders and
> >> there was no .orca folder to erase I'm not sure what this means but
> >> this is what I have found. Thanks for your time and help
> >
> > Thanks, Jon. Can you check for a ~/.config/orca maybe?
> >
> > I just ran Orca on my desktop and it popped up the Orca Preferences
> > window and played a 'Welcome to Orca' message. Is that what it's meant
> > to do?
> > --
> > Adam Williamson
> > Fedora QA Community Monkey
> > IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> > http://www.happyassassin.net
> >
> > --
> >
> I don't have f14 installed right now because I need something up and
> running that I can use. But I know there is always a .orca folder in
> the home folder. So I can't check to see if there is a orca folder in
> the .config folder. As far as what you see when you type in orca you
> should see that eventually but not right away. When you first type in
> orca to start it it should ask you first to choose your language and
> then what keyboard set up you want like desktop or notebook along with
> some other choices. But it skips all of this and goes straight to the
> orca preferences which is what you see. Even though it skips this set
> up process you could still set up orca through the preferences but if
> you notice like I said even though orca comes up and is talking you
> can't get orca to even read the preferences box or get orca to open
> it. It seems that that orca doesn't have focus on the desktop and you
> can't get it to move around the menus or panel or like I said even get
> orca to open the preferences. If you have f13 around somewhere you
> will see how orca is supposed to run. Thanks for your help and time.

Looks to me like Orca now writes its configs to ~/.local/share/orca --
once I moved ~/.orca and ~/.local/share/orca away, I got the
preferences window as I think is expected.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 08:31 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Looks to me like Orca now writes its configs to ~/.local/share/orca --
> once I moved ~/.orca and ~/.local/share/orca away, I got the
> preferences window as I think is expected.

well that's a silly place, if it's using that new system it's meant to
use ~/.config :/. But anyway, Jon said it's *not* supposed to go
straight to the preferences window, so there's definitely something
wrong there.

Jon, can you file a bug and mark it as blocking F14Blocker? Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Michael Whapples

Hello,
Regarding orca not reading the contents of windows, etc (what leads to
orca only announcing key presses) I have a sort of solution.

Before saying what I needed to do, this fix will make orca still use
at-spi over corba. I know that the intention was to have fedora 14 use
at-spi over dbus but as time is running out, I have been unable to find
a solution using at-spi over dbus and there shouldn't be any difference
to the user at the moment (if anything at-spi-corba is more likely to be
reliable as at-spi-dbus is in early days), it may be worth considering
this so we at least have a working orca.

The solution:
* Once I booted the fedora 14 beta LiveCD, I start gnome-terminal.
* Still as the liveuser I do the following command to set the gconf key
/desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba to true:
gconftool-2 --set --type bool /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba true
* Then using su to become root, I install at-spi-python using yum:
yum --assumeyes install at-spi-python
* Finally I logout and back in (I think this is needed for the gconf key
change (to ensure the correct at-spi is used).

Now when I run orca it reads the screen fine. I also get orca not going
through the initial setup questions, but I wonder whether that is really
such a problem if reasonable defaults are used (particularly as we are
on a LiveCD).

Michael Whapples

Old 10-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Ray Strode

Hi,

----- "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@aim.com> wrote:
> The solution:
> * Once I booted the fedora 14 beta LiveCD, I start gnome-terminal.
> * Still as the liveuser I do the following command to set the gconf
> key
> /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba to true:
> gconftool-2 --set --type bool /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba
> true
> * Then using su to become root, I install at-spi-python using yum:
> yum --assumeyes install at-spi-python
> * Finally I logout and back in (I think this is needed for the gconf
> key
> change (to ensure the correct at-spi is used).
Okay i'm building at-spi and orca packages with those changes now.

--Ray

Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Ray Strode

Hi again,

> Okay i'm building at-spi and orca packages with those changes now.
The update is here:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/orca-2.32.0-2.fc14,at-spi-1.32.0-2.fc14

--Ray